Sturgis anyone???

• 33 posts
    December 21, 2010 1:38 AM PST
    Hey all! I am planning my first ride to Sturgis for the 2011 Rally! I am pretty stoked about it already. I am researching places to stay and I have checked with the Buffalo Chip, The Broken Spoke, and the Glencoe campground. I have been reading reviews and of course they are very mixed. I was looking for opinions from you Sturgis veterans who have experience in these places and the ups and downs of them. I would appreciate all good info and advice on this journey. I will be riding my road King from Mobile, Alabama all the way to Sturgis! Ride safe Y'all! Oh...Merry Christmas to everyone!!!
  • December 21, 2010 2:39 AM PST
    It all depends on what your after at Sturgis. Remember Its like some of the rallies in your state its just on steroids times 1000 percent. The Buffalo Chip and the rest of the larger camp grounds tend to have the best entertainment and you will see stuff there that sometimes is hard to describe lets say. Remember you can always buy a daily pass that grants you access to the shows and an overnight stay if you like in their campground. If your there to do alot of riding then you might want to look into staying north or south of the city of Sturgis, as it tends to get really busy on the streets early and it's a pain to come and go. There is also a walmart right near Sturgis that sells just about all the extra goodies you need to make camping bearable. Have a safe trip and hopefully we will all see each other at the CF meet and greet. For me its all about the journey to Sturgis and not the Ralley itself.
    • 5419 posts
    December 22, 2010 3:42 AM PST
    Like Terry (wheels) said, it really depends on what you are looking for.  The three major campgrounds you mentioned all surely share the party atmosphere.  We have stayed at the Buffalo Chip both thimes we went to Sturgis, including this past year.  There is no doubt that it is the biggest venue with the biggest name entertainment, but the accomidations, especially for tent campers, really leave a lot to be desired.

Personally I feel if you are not going to take advantage of ALL the big name concerts at the Buffalo Chip, then for the price it's probably not worth it.  We actually found ourselves feeling kind of obligated to wander over to every show - just because we paid for it.  For us the rally is more about doing some of the great local rides with friends, taking in all the sites, and mostly just hanging out at the campsite with good friends - all of which you can do staying at either Glencoe, or the Broken Spoke for a lot less money.  And from what I have heard, the actual camping is a little nicer.  We are still deciding if we are going to make Sturgis this year (there are still many rallies around the country we have not been to), but if we do we are most likely going to stay at the Broken Spoke or Glencoe.
  • December 22, 2010 3:42 AM PST
    Mal and I stay at Glencoe.The Chip is a dust bowl and not what it used to be.Dont know bout the Spoke but probably quieter than either of the other two.Depends what you want I guess!We will be at Glencoe again for 2011 so if you are Goin there let us know!Merry Christmas brother.
    • 33 posts
    December 22, 2010 4:24 AM PST
    I am definitly going in 2011. I feel 90% sure that I will be staying at Glencoe because on the reviews I have read about the others. I will definitely look y'all up because being a newbie at this Sturgis thing, I will need someone to show me around! Merry Christmas to all!!!!
    • 277 posts
    December 22, 2010 4:26 AM PST
    The ride going to Sturgis is the best. The second best is hooking up with all our friends. Staying at the Chip was "ok" but only because we had our own Cyclefish Camp and friends and alcohol. The bathroom facilities weren't great and wolfhound is right....it was a dust bowl. Since Lucky and I have already been to the Chip twice, we will definitely camp at one of the other places next time. Broken Spoke has a huge pool, Glencoe has shade, and the Chip has major concerts.
    • 33 posts
    December 22, 2010 5:14 AM PST
    My thoughts are definitely Glencoe. I figure I can visit the Chip for a daily entrance price of $40 to $70 if I want to experience tht scene. I feel I shoudl try it since I am riding across the country an all! lol But I am really looking forward to riding the area with you guys that are familiar with it already. Maybe I'll get there before they start carving Obama's face in Mount Rushmore!!!! lololol!!!
  • December 22, 2010 11:47 PM PST
    Sugarbowl for great burgers! Rustic as hell, but awesome food!
    • 9 posts
    December 23, 2010 3:17 AM PST
    Whichever place you decide on, do yourself a huge favor and book it early! You will be required to RSVP and pay a deposit, but it is definitely worth it, knowing your site is locked in. You don't want to be meandering along with thousands of others, looking for a place to crash...that being said, Glencoe, in my opinion. Lots and lots of great people, use them every year, with great satisfaction! Hope to see ya there! RIDE FREE
    Tweek

*Check out the new and discounted $150.00 Campground wristbands, and please, even though it is in August, please remember to pack some warm clothing and blankets. It gets pretty chilly at night in the Black Hills. RIDE FREE
    Tweek
    • 295 posts
    December 23, 2010 9:18 PM PST
    Just remember, it ain't all about "Sturgis" itself, it's everything that happens from the time you hug the loved ones as you are leaving till the time you pull back into the driveway and see the smiles waiting for ya at home. This year about 20 of us rented a place about a 1/2 hour outside of Sturgis, in Hill City. We rode out a different direction each morning taking in the scenery & then hanging out in Hill City at night.

Don't forget to make your reservations for your stops along the way, We stayed at the KOA's on the way there, spent 5 days getting there & 1 day & about 6 hours coming home.

Don't even plan on seeing & doing everything in one year , ain't happening. The trip to "Devils Tower" is worth the ride, especially if you go through Hulet, Wy. on Wednesday. Have a safe trip
    • 33 posts
    December 24, 2010 4:42 AM PST
    Great advice Tweek and DJ! THis is the kinda stuff I'm looking for! The knowlege you get from experienced sturger's is good stuff! Keep it coming! Tweek..I am making my Glencoe revervations next week. I hope to see y'all there!!!
  • December 24, 2010 7:01 AM PST
    Dualsport wrote...
    I am definitly going in 2011. I feel 90% sure that I will be staying at Glencoe because on the reviews I have read about the others. I will definitely look y'all up because being a newbie at this Sturgis thing, I will need someone to show me around! Merry Christmas to all!!!!
     Look forward to it! There are other CF family members who stay there too the more the merrier.We always have a blast!
  • December 24, 2010 7:11 AM PST
    Suould have read more before I responded!We also stay at KOA s on the way and always make reservations in advance.DJRoadking is also spot on about not being able to do it all in one or even two years lol! so pick what you most want to see/do and cut the list in half lol!Like Tweek said we have met and made friends with soo many people at Glencoe.Day trips to the Chip will be good enough and you will be so glad you are not staying there!Wednesday to the Devils Tower is great but be prepared for a slow go if you dont leave early.Most important enjoy the ride!
  • December 24, 2010 1:04 PM PST
    I go the week before and stay at Wild Bills campground outside of Deadwood and get all my rides in before the rush. Its a nice quite place, than I move over to Glencoe for and partying during the rally. Glencoe paved a lot of there roads so its nice and the people are great. The last couple of weeks I even stayed the week after the rally
  • December 25, 2010 1:17 PM PST
    I tried a smaller place in 2010 about 10 miles from the chip. It was called the Shady Valley or something like that. I will not go there again this year. It was ok I guess but had no shade ( to spite the name) and there was nothing going on there in the evenings, so if you wanted to wander by and check-out the wilder side of rallies after the sun goes down, then you had to go elsewhere.

Now that being said I like quiet too, just want a place that I can relax, if I want to or checkout excitement i can. So because of much research and listening to others on this board, I believe I will try Glencoe. Sounds like just my style. Would be great to meet others from CF at Glencoe too in 2011.

Billy T.
    • 33 posts
    December 26, 2010 11:04 PM PST
    I am making my Glencoe reservations this week! My plan is to take two weeks to make this trip. Hopefully my work load will allow it. Per all the great advice I have gotten from you helpful folks, I believe that Glencoe is the perfect spot.
    I look forward to meeting up with all the CF folks there! Now...will y'all be wearing those bright green flourescent "family reunion" shirts so that I can easily identify you?? lolol Maybe I'll grab some cell #'s a bit closer to the trip so I can locate the CF area of the campground. I would like to tap into you Sturgis veterans when it comes to do and do nots in the area. It' gonna be a long 8 months!!! Y'all ride safe out there!!
    • 33 posts
    December 28, 2010 3:08 AM PST
    Whoohoo! I made my reservations today for Glencoe! Now to peruse the websites for camping equipment info. I am leaning toward the 7'x7' dome tent with the thermo self inflating pad and sleeping bag. Oh....and travel pillow. THe rest I can handle. All of my Smokey Mountain rides were nights spent at motels so this will be my first tenting bike trip but I plan to make a lot of them from now on. I am so looking forward to the adventure!!!
  • g
    December 28, 2010 5:31 AM PST
    god ..id love to make this trip .
  • December 28, 2010 11:42 AM PST
    Hey Dualsport,plan on staying in section 8:-) there will be some of us there for sure(me and Motomalissa for sure) also Claudia and Clay.Something to consider which we do is stay in KOA s so we only need bring sleeping bags and pillows for the trip.We mail(UPS/FEDEX) our cooler,tent,air matteress,folding chairs and such directly to the camp ground.They charge a handling fee but it is well worth it.If you do this remember to get a return label for shiping home and pack a roll of tape to seal box up! Pm me when it gets closer and I will give you my cell number.Anything I can do to help just ask brother.Happy New Year to ya!
  • December 28, 2010 2:27 PM PST
    U guys n gails need to come to little sturgis in MISSISSIPPI tooo.. it a blast too
    • 33 posts
    December 29, 2010 3:26 AM PST
    Wolfhound...section 8....sounds like government subsidy tenting! lol I will definitely look for that section upon arrival. Great idea on the FedExing of gear. I will take advantage of that too. We will keep in touch during the upcoming year. Happy new year to y'all too!!!
    Spiritman...when is the Mississippi Sturgis? I will attend that one when it rolls around again also!
  • December 29, 2010 4:43 AM PST
    wolfhound wrote...
    Hey Dualsport,plan on staying in section 8:-) there will be some of us there for sure(me and Motomalissa for sure) also Claudia and Clay

Hey Wolfhound,

Mind if I join you guys in section 8 aswell? I usually go lone-wolf but would really like to try hanging with a group this year. The cyclefish group sounds cool, so if you willing to take in another newbie, I'm there.

Billy T.

• January 3, 2011 11:03 AM PST
    CrazyCanuck wrote...
    wolfhound wrote...
    Hey Dualsport,plan on staying in section 8:-) there will be some of us there for sure(me and Motomalissa for sure) also Claudia and Clay

Hey Wolfhound,

Mind if I join you guys in section 8 aswell? I usually go lone-wolf but would really like to try hanging with a group this year. The cyclefish group sounds cool, so if you willing to take in another newbie, I'm there.

Billy T.

All are welcome my northern neighbor! You can ride over with us too if you are going through our neck of the woods.When you get to the ourhouse w an 8 on it turn right and head towards the trees and bank at the back!Thats where we like to make our home lol!
  • January 3, 2011 11:53 AM PST
    id love to make down there this yr- just dont know my schedule yet- and finances of course- 2 teenagers- need i say more? but if i do head down there- im thinkin this is the place to be! smaller crowd- more appealing to me
  • January 3, 2011 1:37 PM PST
    WH cool,

See ya there