Sturgis 2011 Would you come early for a benefit poker run?

• November 24, 2010 5:41 AM PST
    I live about 15 miles from Sturgis and I can honestly tell you that before the Rally starts the vendors are already set up and there is not nearly as much traffic on the roads, making touring the hills much more relaxing! We are thinking about setting up a charity poker run days before the official start of the Rally so our friends from out of state can participate without having to make another trip out here to South Dakota. I am just curious as to how many people would come out a few days early for this. We are still in the early stages of planning, and will repost details as they become available.

Thanks for your input! Hope to see everyone next August!
    • 19007 posts
    November 24, 2010 6:01 AM PST
    Sounds like an interesting idea. How many days early? And in what town do you live? I have family in Rapid City.
  • November 24, 2010 6:16 AM PST
    We are planning on going to Sturgis this year and I have always wanted to get their early and experience the rally before it gets to crowded. Ive met several people who have ridden the area around Sturgis without the crowds and they say its a whole different world. Let us know about your poker run. Wheels
    • 19007 posts
    November 24, 2010 6:37 AM PST
    wheels wrote...
    We are planning on going to Sturgis this year and I have always wanted to get their early and experience the rally before it gets to crowded. Ive met several people who have ridden the area around Sturgis without the crowds and they say its a whole different world. Let us know about your poker run. Wheels

Wheels, I am one of those fortunate enought to go to the Black Hills in summer (several times) and not bike week. Let me say, if you want great riding and a much better experience that is how to do it! Reasonable prices, no lines in restaurants and gas stations.

• 0 posts
    November 24, 2010 6:45 AM PST
    Mate we'd be in...Cant see the point in riding in those bloody crowds with those bloody feet draggin nutters..CHEERS BOOF
    • 5419 posts
    November 24, 2010 7:04 AM PST
    I'd be up for it if it was just a couple days before the rally. Riding all the way in from California Sturgis is already a two week trip for us. We try to get the the Friday before the rally as it is.
    • 58 posts
    November 24, 2010 11:03 AM PST
    I would more likely be able (allowed?) to go the week prior to the actual rally. The wife has seen too many pictures, heard too many stories.
    • 467 posts
    November 24, 2010 1:32 PM PST
    I live 50 miles SW so I would be willing1
  • November 24, 2010 5:04 PM PST
    I live in Spearfish. My husband was recently diagnosed with advanced metastatic prostate cancer at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. Since Mayo is out of network, we have had to put our house up for sale as well as my chopper (in my profile pic), and make other sacrifices to try to keep up with the medical expenses. We have changed his diet and are going to try a new therapy that his doctor at Mayo has recommended. Another catch is that this new therapy is not FDA approved, so our insurance will not cover that either. We have two kids ages 6 and 8, and my hubby just turned 50. This was unexpected! He is now turning his Street Glide into a rolling billboard and wants to spread the word about prostate cancer. He has a few companies on board and his employer, Lehman Trikes here in Spearfish, who is painting it for him. He believes that if he can save just one man from going through what he has, then it is more than worth it.

As far as the benefit, it is in the early stages. I was going to raffle off the chopper, but ran into some legal issues. In SD you cannot have a raffle unless you are an organization or a religious group. So, now I have it up for sale. If it doesn't sell by summer, I am thinking about making it the grand prize in the poker run (if this is legal and if we get enough interest). We have a blues band on board and a few bars/halls, not to mention a lot of good friends from here to WY, CO, and even MI willing to lend a hand. Some other possible prizes may include some autographed sports stuff, Deadwood businesses contributing, and maybe some rally concert passes just to name a few. I will know more when we start talking to the local business owners.

LIKE I MENTIONED BEFORE, THIS IS ALL ENTIRELY UP IN THE AIR. THESE ARE IDEAS, THOUGHTS, AND PLANS THAT ARE NOT CONCRETE AS OF YET!!

I will get more info as it becomes available. We have no set date, but it will be very close to the beginning of the Rally, within days. The Rally officially starts on Monday, August 8 and runs until the 14th. The 6th is a strong possibility.

I want to thank everyone for their interest. It really means a lot to me and my family.

Charm
    • 0 posts
    November 24, 2010 7:42 PM PST
    Mate if we can do anything to help from down here give us a yell..Theres a fair Aussie contingent that travel to Sturgis so if you get anything set in stone let us know and we'll pass it on to our mates down here......CHEERS BOOF
    • 580 posts
    November 24, 2010 10:00 PM PST
    Charm I certainly won't get there (not unless the lotto numbers come up). However, I just wanted to say what you and your hubby are doing about dealing with this illness and making something positive out of it to educate others is awe inspiring. If there is anything I can do from over the pond then let me know

In the meantime big hugs to you and your family (o:
    • 19007 posts
    November 25, 2010 12:14 AM PST
    Count me in for at least a raffle item.
  • November 25, 2010 12:15 AM PST
    I would like to the southern sturgis because its closer and I can only get 1 weeek off in the summer.
    • 467 posts
    November 25, 2010 2:49 AM PST
    Well, I will pass your info along to NE Wyoming ABATE and the Joint Clubs Council and see what we can do!
  • November 25, 2010 3:50 AM PST
    cnciaco wrote...
    Well, I will pass your info along to NE Wyoming ABATE and the Joint Clubs Council and see what we can do!

Thanks! My husband is originally from Gillette, WY.
  • November 25, 2010 4:52 AM PST
    Motomalissa and I will be going again next year and would be interested.However as Lucky said we make it a 10 day trip and 5 days of it is travel so how early would be a factor.Keep us posted.
  • Buz
    December 17, 2010 11:07 AM PST
    Sounds like a great idea, I'm in. This'll be my first trip to Sturgis, and since I don't like crowds, arrive and leave early works well for me !!!
  • December 19, 2010 4:40 AM PST
    we will be there WAY early... like the 9th of July
  • January 1, 2011 9:23 AM PST
    We are working on the poker run now. We have Sunday, August 7th, picked out as the date we are shooting for. The only other possible date would be the day before, August 6th. I still have not sold the Mutant Buell, so I will be looking onto the legal aspects of putting it up as the grand prize. Still don't have any concrete plans, but we are putting it in motion. We wanted to wait until after the holidays. If anyone has any suggestions, ideas, or smart-ass remarks, please let us know! We appreciate everyone's interest and input. Hope everyone had a safe and happy new year!
  • January 3, 2011 10:58 AM PST
    The 7th works for us.We are planning on leaving on the 4th and will take 3 days(2 nights) getting there.Will keep looking for more up dates or you can pm me or Mal!Anyone want to ride over with us let me know...probably do Redlodge,over Beartooth Pass to Thermopolis,WY,then on the Glencoe.
    • 212 posts
    January 6, 2011 1:04 PM PST
    If we get to go ,we'll be there! Good luck to you and your husband my prayers are with you.
  • January 18, 2011 1:28 AM PST
    We have started a web site, which we will update regularly with events we will be attending, including the poker run. We will also post pictures of my husband's Street Glide as it undergoes a major facelift. He has a few sponsors who are donating parts and services to turn his bagger into a Prostate Cancer Awarness bike. The website is www.BikersAgainstProstateCancer.com Check it out and let us know what you think. Thanks everyone, you guys and gals are awesome!
  • February 4, 2011 3:20 AM PST
    The poker run is starting to take shape! We have confirmed that the date will be Saturday, August 6, 2011 at the Golden Hills Resort in Lead, SD. We are planning on having Max Temple and Broken Soul performing some rockin' blues! Please be patient as we are still in the planning phase. I just want to update everyone as the information becomes available. Thanks again!
  • April 19, 2011 7:15 AM PDT
    We have been working hard on the poker run for prostate cancer awareness. We are so grateful for the generous sponsors and their donations for prizes. We have an amazing design for the poker run T-shirt and are thinking about making do-rags with the logo as well. John started chemotherapy last week and since hair loss is common, he came up with the do-rag idea! The Street Glide is very close to complete. We posted pics on our website. Lehman Trikes here in Spearfish has been absolutely fantastic! What a wonderful group of caring individuals. Thank you does not even come close to expressing our gratitude towards them for all of their support. If you come out to Sturgis for the rally, stop by Lehman Trikes (off of I-90 by Wal-Mart). They have tours all week long and you could say hi to John!

Hope to see everyone in August! 

Charm
  • May 4, 2011 8:42 AM PDT
    Ahh wolfhound if we were coming from your direction we would ride with you that is a fantastic ride. Alas being from MN not likely to happen this year. However we are planning on attending Sturgis Bike week this year. Don't know yet if we can do early or not yet but would attend ride if we can. Have been to the Black Hills a few times to ride but figured it was time to do bike week.