Born at the wrong time..........NIght Dragon

• 1780 posts
    November 13, 2010 4:49 AM PST
    This post will be mostly appreciated by History / Gun Buffs. I love world history during WW II time frame, and I love the Guns produced during that time. There were many gun manufactures that were making all sorts of guns during the war. I just purchased my second 1943 Russian Mosin Nagant 91/30 and a M1895 Naget Pistol. The 91/30 fires a 7.62X54R round, which is a bit shorter, but bigger around that a 30/06 round, and the Nagant pistol fires a 7.62x38R. The Mosin Nagant was the main battle gun of the Russian Military, and was used with a PU Scope as a Sniper Rifle. The nice thing about the Mosin Nagant is they are plenty of them out there cheep, and the ammo is cheep and plentyful. The gun is a great shooter, and with the PU Scope on it was extremely deadly against the Germans. If you want to see a great movie about the use of these rifles check out "Enemy at the Gates". At 80 feet, without a scope, with my old eyes I can put 5 rounds within a silver dollar circle. They were very accurate weapons, and served the Russians well.
    I have attached a picture of the weapon both with and without the PU scope.
    It does have a bit of a kick to it.....like a Old Army Mule!!!

Night Dragon

• November 13, 2010 5:33 AM PST
    Nice gun and that was a great movie, it would be great if you could pick up the rifle the german major was using. The actual gun that Zaitsev used is in a russian ww2 museum in moscow. HBO did a little thirty minute history bit about the whole movie etc.
  • November 13, 2010 6:27 AM PST
    Very nice, Kenny! I enjoyed that movie as well ~ very interesting and kept you on the edge...
    • 0 posts
    November 13, 2010 7:03 AM PST
    I have the old Enfeild 303...this gun was used by all the commonwealth forces from the start of the great war right up to Korea..This thing kicks like buggery but it'll drop just about anything upto 500 out and is a trustworthy old mate.....
    • 5420 posts
    November 13, 2010 7:07 AM PST
    Couple of really nice rifles there Kenny.  What amazes me the most is the quality, and precision of the parts on them, especially knowing the manufacturing equipment they had in thse days was pretty crude compared to what we have today.

I had a Lee Enfield No.I Mk.III, that my father had given me when I was 18.  The Lee Enfield No.I Mk.III is a bolt action .303 used mainly by British Army during the beginning of WWI.  My dad brought it back from WWII, cleaned it up and stored it, never opening it until he gave it to me on my 18th birthday. It was in perfect condition.  It was such an honor for my dad to give me that rifle, it was like he was giving me a very important piece of his life.  I took it to a gun shop, and they said it was in fine condition to shoot.  I fired maybe 15 rounds through it, cleaned it and put it away.  Figured this would be handed down to many future generations.

Then the sorry thing is some low-life broke into my house back in 1995, two days before Christams.  They stole all of our Christmas presents and the gun.  My dad had already passed away, but my mom was in town visiting for Christmas... I never did tell her that the gun was stolen.
    • 5420 posts
    November 13, 2010 7:08 AM PST
    Wow Boof, I was writing my post when you posted the exact same gun!!!
  • g
    November 13, 2010 7:12 AM PST
    have to get a few guns ,..and have a ride down to england .
  • g
    November 13, 2010 7:13 AM PST
    put a few caps in their ass .
    • 1780 posts
    November 13, 2010 7:35 AM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    Couple of really nice rifles there Kenny.  What amazes me the most is the quality, and precision of the parts on them, especially knowing the manufacturing equipment they had in thse days was pretty crude compared to what we have today.

I had a Lee Enfield No.I Mk.III, that my father had given me when I was 18.  The Lee Enfield No.I Mk.III is a bolt action .303 used mainly by British Army during the beginning of WWI.  My dad brought it back from WWII, cleaned it up and stored it, never opening it until he gave it to me on my 18th birthday. It was in perfect condition.  It was such an honor for my dad to give me that rifle, it was like he was giving me a very important piece of his life.  I took it to a gun shop, and they said it was in fine condition to shoot.  I fired maybe 15 rounds through it, cleaned it and put it away.  Figured this would be handed down to many future generations.

Then the sorry thing is some low-life broke into my house back in 1995, two days before Christams.  They stole all of our Christmas presents and the gun.  My dad had already passed away, but my mom was in town visiting for Christmas... I never did tell her that the gun was stolen.

Yea the 303 was a serious weapon, and a beatiful piece to boot. I know it must have been hell to lug these weapons around all day.
    Dragon

• 0 posts
    November 13, 2010 4:54 PM PST
    Sorry to hear about the old gun Lucky.....This one is a part of my collection of Aussie Militaria......Got some cool old stuff from WW 1...Shit Yeah Dragon these old bludgers weigh in at about 20 pounds loaded ..Then you got all your other shit and some bastard shooting at you as well to top it all off.....Those old diggers had balls of steel Mate..CHEERS BOOF
    • 513 posts
    November 14, 2010 12:36 AM PST
    BOOF wrote...
    I have the old Enfeild 303...this gun was used by all the commonwealth forces from the start of the great war right up to Korea..This thing kicks like buggery but it'll drop just about anything upto 500 out and is a trustworthy old mate.....

The .303 is still one of the most affective rifles on the go. The pdf still use them here to train snipers with, if you can snipe with one of them then you can snipe with any rifle.
    The reason they were such a good weapon is they had to pas the british army india gun test. The rifle was brought to some ravine and dropped from a great height and if it could still shoot straight it passed, and of the .303 did and was standard issue in the british army until the early sixties.
    I have never mat anybody who trained with these that did not have a fond memory of them and always puts their hand up on their shoulder recalling the recoil.
    • 1780 posts
    November 14, 2010 1:34 AM PST
    Dyna wrote...
    BOOF wrote...

The .303 is still one of the most affective rifles on the go. The pdf still use them here to train snipers with, if you can snipe with one of them then you can snipe with any rifle.
    The reason they were such a good weapon is they had to pas the british army india gun test. The rifle was brought to some ravine and dropped from a great height and if it could still shoot straight it passed, and of the .303 did and was standard issue in the british army until the early sixties.
    I have never mat anybody who trained with these that did not have a fond memory of them and always puts their hand up on their shoulder recalling the recoil.

The 7.62x54 203 grain round has about the same kick as a 30/06 round, just to give ya some idea.

• 1780 posts
    November 14, 2010 3:27 AM PST
    Maybe it's because of the time I have on my hands now that I'm not working........I like to tinker in my shop, doing things that make's absoulty no sense to Angel Eyes.....Example...I like to camo my guns, I try different pattern's, using camo paint and leaves like maple and fern's, or just try stuff.
    Here is my Russian Mosin Naget 91/30 and my Ruger 223 in camo............
    I was going to camo the dog, I mean she's due a hair cut anyway.
    • 5420 posts
    November 14, 2010 3:40 AM PST
    Really great job on the Ruger!!! If you decide to camo the dog you can always stay with me until her hair grows back
    • 1516 posts
    November 14, 2010 3:43 AM PST
    We never know what Dragon is going to do when he has to much time on his hands! ")
  • November 14, 2010 3:44 AM PST
    I've never had a fondness for Mosin/Nagants, but I know many who do.

I've had a couple of Mausers and an '03 Springfield over the years.

Straight shooters all, but I no longer own them.

I might pick up another if the price and condition were right, especially a pristine 98K

Mausers, when converted, make great sporting rifles but it's a shame to cut up a piece of history.

Even if they were once as common as dirt, they aren't making them any more.

Reminds me, when I was a kid you could buy Enfield .303 jungle carbines in decent shape for under $100.

I saw a really beat-up one sell recently for $650. Go figure.

• 0 posts
    November 14, 2010 6:16 AM PST
    This is what i'm really chasing.But to find one these days in good condition will cost more than i can afford for something thats gonna sit in a display.CHEERS BOOF
  • g
    November 14, 2010 6:31 AM PST
    ffs guys ,were do u get all this shit ,i dont even own a caterpilt .
  • g
    November 14, 2010 6:32 AM PST
    i find that a good baseball bat dose the job like .
  • g
    November 14, 2010 6:33 AM PST
    dont think boof needs a gun ,just needs to pop on his pink shirt n hat ...lol
  • November 14, 2010 9:57 AM PST
    nightdragon wrote...
    BOOF wrote...
    This is what i'm really chasing.But to find one these days in good condition will cost more than i can afford for something thats gonna sit in a display.CHEERS BOOF

Boof that is a naget pistol 7.62x38R right......if so I have one, that I can let go of.
    Dragon

I believe that's a Webley .455, Dragon.
    • 0 posts
    November 14, 2010 3:23 PM PST
    Yeah webley .455 as what was used by our officers in both WW's......Thanx anyways DRAGON..CHEERS BOOF..Oh and g you dont have guns in Scotland? Not like anyones gonna invade ya anyways...
    • 0 posts
    November 14, 2010 5:16 PM PST
    A couple of years ago before my kid became a little woman and decided it wasnt cool to hang out with the old man anymore...Shit how many kids get to go out the backyard with an M4 or AR15 and plink some cans(That Daddy empties as quick as you can shoot them)....CHEERS BOOF
  • g
    November 14, 2010 7:00 PM PST
    aye boof , cause they know we are hardy basa's .
  • g
    November 14, 2010 7:01 PM PST
    the british sas is almost run by the scottish ,cause we are the tuff nuts like .