Iconic images

• 601 posts
    November 12, 2010 2:31 AM PST
    Something that we all can relate to...memories, good or bad..funny, sad or just something that hits ya in the face.... and a reason why !

WOW !
    • 1364 posts
    November 12, 2010 2:47 AM PST
    The King
    • 0 posts
    November 12, 2010 4:16 AM PST
    A child in Uganda holding a missionary's hand

• 5420 posts
    November 12, 2010 5:59 AM PST
    This one I really remember.  I was 11 at the time living in NJ.  Our family took a yearly vacation to Florida, and on the way home stopped off to watch the launch of the Apollo 11.  We arrived home a few days later to watch them land on the moon...

(I still have the newspaper)

• 1780 posts
    November 12, 2010 6:19 AM PST
    One of the all time best old car movies (American Graffiti)...........who could forget the race between the piss yellow duce coupe and the 55 chev driven be a young Indianna Jones......
    For those of you out there in my age bracket.....it was very cool to jack up the front end of your mostly chev. There were a couple of ways of doing this .....wheather you jacked up the front end and heated the coil springs until they droped to the ground, or some little spacers you could put into your front springs that would leave your ride up in the air, with a hell of ta rough ride. Of course if you had bucks to spend ...you could put a straight axle front end under it. Hell yea

Dragon

• 1780 posts
    November 12, 2010 6:29 AM PST
    And who could forget (in my mind) the all time Biker Movie......."EASY RIDER"

• 0 posts
    November 12, 2010 6:40 AM PST
    this one was cemented into my mind as a little bloke
    • 0 posts
    November 12, 2010 6:50 AM PST
    Our Diggers in WW1...This picture represents our spirit and the birth of  the Aussie fighting larrakin legend
  • November 12, 2010 7:22 AM PST

• November 12, 2010 8:50 AM PST
    These are all great pics
    • 601 posts
    November 12, 2010 9:49 AM PST
    I was seven yrs old then Lucky and we had no TV but I have vague memories of all the family listening to the radio....jbasile, would be nice to know the names of those firefighters, its more poignant than the Iwo-Jima flag raising, Iwo-Jima signified victory, your picture signifies defiance...heres one for my friend the dragon...
    • 5420 posts
    November 12, 2010 10:04 AM PST
    Yeah, Color TV...

• 2072 posts
    November 12, 2010 10:16 AM PST

My new GRANDSON !!!!!!!!

• 0 posts
    November 12, 2010 10:32 AM PST
    Well you all know this crazy bastard....
    • 0 posts
    November 12, 2010 10:36 AM PST
    Oh and this crazy bastard as well............
    • 2072 posts
    November 12, 2010 2:33 PM PST
    Hey Boof..... Steve Irwin has ALWAYS been one of my hero's !!!!!!! My dream vacation has always been to go to Australia, dive the barrier reef and visit his zoo !!!
    • 223 posts
    November 12, 2010 2:47 PM PST
    The amazing, ageless, eternal, indelible...  Bettie Page...

• 223 posts
    November 12, 2010 2:50 PM PST
    And SPC Lori Ann Piestewa (December 14, 1979 – March 23, 2003) KIA in Iraq.  Hopi tribal member, daughter, mother, hero, and warrior.

• November 12, 2010 2:59 PM PST
    Not so iconic, but one of my personal favorites.
    • 0 posts
    November 12, 2010 6:17 PM PST
    Yeah my favorite too Mate
    • 580 posts
    November 12, 2010 8:26 PM PST

The iconic Bette Davis - what an actress and she was a real badass too - just don't make em like that anymore
    • 19037 posts
    November 12, 2010 11:05 PM PST
    Although not as well known as others. I bet EVERY Vien Nam Vet knows immediately who she is...

Everymans fantasy...

• 1780 posts
    November 13, 2010 12:26 AM PST
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    Although not as well known as others. I bet EVERY Vien Nam Vet knows immediately who she is...

Everymans fantasy...

Yep her and Bob Hope put on quite a show.....
    Thanks Rex
    Dragon

• 1780 posts
    November 13, 2010 12:33 AM PST
    rory1 wrote...
    I was seven yrs old then Lucky and we had no TV but I have vague memories of all the family listening to the radio....jbasile, would be nice to know the names of those firefighters, its more poignant than the Iwo-Jima flag raising, Iwo-Jima signified victory, your picture signifies defiance...heres one for my friend the dragon...

Thanks rory appreciate that......here is some infomation on the three firefighters that raised the flag over the WTC site...........

Skip to comments.

White Firefighters Who Raised Flag at WTC depicted "racially diverse" in New Statue
    http://www.newsmax.com/showinside.shtml?a=2002/1/8/120434" target="_blank">Newsmax ^ | 1/8/02

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2002 11:43:54 AM by narby

Racial Changes Made in Ground Zero Firefighter Tribute

It happened more than two weeks ago, but at least one New York City firefighter is still steaming over the politically correct changes made to a sculpted tribute to the firefighter heroes who raised the American flag at Ground Zero just hours after the World Trade Center was leveled on 9/11.

The three flag-raising fireman, as depicted in a widely publicized photograph taken by New Jersey's Bergen Record, were white.

But when a statue commemorating the event was unveiled at the FDNY's Brooklyn headquarters on Dec. 21, the three white firefighters had been replaced by a more racially diverse trio of unidentified Fire Department staffers.

The $180,000 statue is the first memorial to the 343 firefighters and emergency medical personnel killed Sept. 11, reported Newsday at the time.

The racial modifications came at the behest of Fire Department officials, artists with Studio EIS, located on York Street in the Dumbo section, told the paper.

Our firefighter-reader complained:

"What Firefighters McWilliams, Johnson and Eisengrein did inspired the people of the United States in one of its darkest hours. ... This photograph is as sacred as the famous photograph and sculpture of the U.S. Marines raising the Flag on Iwo Jima. ...

"The 343 firefighters [who] were killed at the WTC (54 of whom I knew personally) consisted of all races and creeds.

"But the fact is that the three firefighters who hoisted the Flag on the afternoon of Sept. 11th at the WTC were white and should be depicted as such."

We couldn't have said it better ourselves.

• November 13, 2010 12:48 PM PST
    BOOF, love the jacket.