changing from incandescent bulbs to LED's

• October 23, 2010 7:49 AM PDT
    ok, probably covered many times in the past, but here it is again, i want to change my rear turn signals to LED's, in automotive applications, you just swap them and go down the road, my thinking is 12 volts is 12volts, so should not be a problem, but i have been wrong before. any info for this changeover  would be appreciated. i was told once i had to install a load equalizer?
    • 1 posts
    October 28, 2010 8:43 AM PDT
    The purpose of the load equalizer is only for the signals. The L.E.D.'s don't pull enough, so they L/E creates the draw.
    • 0 posts
    October 28, 2010 9:05 AM PDT
    Go ahead and put the led's in. I believe your bike is old enough it should be no problem. If they flash too fast, then you will need a load equalizer.
    • 5419 posts
    October 28, 2010 11:09 AM PDT
    Derek, I'll be the first to admit that I know little about the electrical systems on these newer bikes. But I did install the LED replacements on my last bike - 2002 Road King and everything worked fine... tail light, brake light and rear blinkers. There were the type that just fit right into the original bulb sockets. I didn't check it too closely, but the blinkers seamed to blink the same as the always had. So I'm with Gary, give it a shot and if the blinkers don't blink correctly, then add the load equalizer.
    • 567 posts
    October 28, 2010 12:16 PM PDT
    Both my brother and I replaced our rear break/tail light bulbs with the LEDs. Although mine seemed to work just fine, what we noticed was that his taillight was no longer quite as visible during the daylight hours. We're not quite sure why. But when he switched back to the standard bulb, he was more visible.
    Not telling you what to do. Just be aware of the total effect.
    • 844 posts
    November 1, 2010 3:35 AM PDT
    So badinfluence, did you put the LEDs in? Just curious to know how they worked?
  • g
    November 2, 2010 12:07 AM PDT
    had leds on ma bike ,were shite ,changed them back to standerd bulbs ,if leds go u have to change the complete unit ,u dont with standerd units .
    • 19007 posts
    November 2, 2010 12:39 AM PDT
    Hey Derek, I put a led taillight on Rex. One of those programmable flashing types. It was expensive but it comes with a 5 year guarantee and really gets attention of people behind me. I have it set for 8 quick bright flashes and then steady bright (brighter than bulb). I have noticed people do not tailgate me anymore. In fact once an idiot soccer mom in her mini-van was riding my ass a little too close and all I had to do was tap the front brake switch a couple times, giving her the eight flashes multiple times. She backed off. I didn't have to resort to the digital greeting gesture and or throw things at her. I am going to replace the turn signals in the future.
    • 58 posts
    November 2, 2010 4:31 PM PDT
    I have found that a 3'X5' American flag works pretty well as an attention getter. People give us space as well.