West Coast Choppers closed

• October 17, 2010 12:24 AM PDT
    Jesse James has closed West Coast Choppers.  His frames and other parts will still be available through Custom Chrome. Jesse now lives in Austin Tx. and he owns Austin Speed Shop so I am sure we will see more of his work.  Some say it was the EPA and other laws in Cali that was a big factor in the closing.  I really liked his work, no matter what ya think of him as a person he was ahead of his time and did some kick ass bikes. I kind of think the days of the big buck custom bikes are coming to an end. I for one would like to get back to the days when the only custom bikes you seen were ones that were built with love in someones garage.
    • 9 posts
    October 17, 2010 2:08 AM PDT
    bullmoose wrote...
      I for one would like to get back to the days when the only custom bikes you seen were ones that were built with love in someones garage.

• 2072 posts
    October 17, 2010 4:03 AM PDT
    I for one would like to get back to the days when the only custom bikes you seen were ones that were built with love in someones garage.

I have to agree 100%........... Those were truly "Custom Choppers" !!!!!!!
    • 5420 posts
    October 17, 2010 4:07 AM PDT
    I'm thinking the closing of West Coast Choppers is the combination of a few things.  I'm sure the quarter million dollar fine a couple years back for seeling bikes that violated California clean-air laws had something to do with it.  Add that to all the BS publicity that folows Jesse's every move in his personal life, and he probably just said enough is enough.

I remember seeing an informal interview with Jesse James a few yers back and at that time he was considering closing West Coast Choppers, and maybe even getting out of bike building all together.  He said he missed the days of pounding metal in the privacy of his small shop and selling the bike based on how it looked, not because he was the television star.  He admitted that he enjoyed the ride to fame, the money, riding side by sice with Kid Rock, meeting famous people and marrying Sandra Bullock, be he wasn't quite sure he was ready for all the scrutiny and invasion of his private life when he got there.

Bullmoose made the statement  "I really liked his work, no matter what ya think of him as a person".  I too really like his work, and we really wouldn't know all this stuff about his personal life if it wasn't for the fame.  Really, how often do we go to a bike show, see a great looking bike made by a local builder and ask whether or not the builder cheated on his wife.  I think that is what Jesse wants to get back to.

I really hope Jesse continues to build bikes because he is without a doubt one of the great tallents who's bike are a work of art, not the result of how much tecnology can be used.

• October 17, 2010 2:29 PM PDT

I have to agree 100%........... Those were truly "Custom Choppers" !!!!!!!

Make it your way and ride it all day
    • 0 posts
    October 17, 2010 6:17 PM PDT
    The GFC can really bite these wankers in the butt..Custom bikes my arse...RIP Jesse hope OCC is next..A bunch of wild hog enablers.Remember the days when it wasnt about throwing cash at some over paid assembler to make your "custom" thats exactly the same as the rest of the yuppies at the oxygen bar , trying not to spill their wheat grass smoothies on their Gucci leather chaps....
    • 844 posts
    October 18, 2010 4:49 AM PDT
    I like many really appreciated the bikes that Jesse James built at West Coast Choppers, but maybe like Lucky said he is just tired of the circus attached to the names. I am sure he will continue building bikes, just not as WCC. If you have ever visited the West Coast Chopper shop in Long Beach, you would know that Jesse built bikes for the love of building bikes. He never took the money from his shows and built a West Coast Choppers Mega Store. He worked in the same shop pounding metal by hand even after all the fame and fortune.

Good luck Jesse in whatever you decide to do.
    • 0 posts
    October 18, 2010 8:48 AM PDT
    BOOF wrote...
    The GFC can really bite these wankers in the butt..Custom bikes my arse...RIP Jesse hope OCC is next..A bunch of wild hog enablers.Remember the days when it wasnt about throwing cash at some over paid assembler to make your "custom" thats exactly the same as the rest of the yuppies at the oxygen bar , trying not to spill their wheat grass smoothies on their Gucci leather chaps....

Come on Boof, Tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back on us now!  LOL

I believe there is a place for these custom bikes, but it has been overdone.
    My bike is not a custom, but all the mods have been done by me to make the bike my own. It nowhere resembles the bike as it came out of the factory. Performance, or looks. I believe more people should do this.

• 1780 posts
    October 19, 2010 1:38 AM PDT
    I think the days of assembly line custom bikes seems to be coming to an end. I know Iron Horse, right here in Fort Worth Texas, has gone by the way side, and I heard Big Dog in Kansas doesn't turn out the numbers like a couple of years ago. Around this area not that long ago there were tons of week end commando's riding the 30 - 40 thousand dollar choppers, now you just don't see them on the road. I know we have all heard that hind sight is 20-20, well I'm sure somewhere in the back of Jessy's mine he probably wish he had just stuck to building bikes and kept out of Hollywoods grip.
    Night Dragon
  • October 21, 2010 5:23 AM PDT
    I know there are those who think Jesse James sold out going all Hollywood and all, but I still feel bad for the guy having to close down what was probably his life long dream because everyone was focused more on his personal life than his motorcycle business.
    • 0 posts
    October 21, 2010 9:23 PM PDT
    Oh and if i dont see another shitty Korean market stall selling knock off WCC hoodies it'll be to bloody soon