Doesn't anyone build they’re own bikes any more?

• October 31, 2011 2:12 AM PDT

I tried this carb set up for a while but the motor was not big enough so I went back to a single and has been running great. I built the intake manifold by using two $&$ manifolds with a spacer and welded on the carb flanges then re chromed. The carbs are also $&$ super Bs with 3rd circuits and adjustable inrichners. The velocity stacks are shaved and the air cleaners are old L series copies that I sand casted, from a friends original, polished and gold plated. I made the filters by cutting apart a large, round filter and rebuilding two smaller ones from it. All held together by 3 spokes on each carb.

• 2 posts
    October 31, 2011 3:17 AM PDT

. . . I built the intake manifold by using two $&$ manifolds with a spacer and welded on the carb flanges . . .. The carbs are also $&$ super Bs with 3rd circuits and adjustable inrichners. The velocity stacks are shaved and the air cleaners are old L series copies that I sand casted, from . . . original, . . .  made the filters by cutting apart a large, round filter and rebuilding two smaller ones from it. . . ..

Damn lad, you are good - When this "build your own" thread started was thinking of the O.C.C. kind'a c'p. - Order stuff, open box, weld useless c'p on, chrome it  - Ride past high school & see who thinks you're cool
    But taking it down to casting your own; been involved w/ foundry work since 1965 & wouldn't have the nerve unless I had access to a foundry & wouldn't to have thought to try it in the 1st place - Well done
    • 16840 posts
    October 31, 2011 3:23 AM PDT
    Impressive, to bad it didn't work out.
  • November 1, 2011 1:23 AM PDT

I learned to cast in Jr high school and it really isn’t that hard and The Idea for this type of intake system has been around for hundreds of years. I had built a 1/10 scale model of a chopper when I was about 12 that had a duel carb like this and always liked the idea. Also Indian Larry's last bike he built had a similar set up. But thanks anyway. Here is a pic. with the air cleaners and filters installed. Sorry for the quality of the pic. My brother sent me the only picture taken when it was together, and that was with his 35 mm cam.

• November 1, 2011 3:26 AM PDT
    My wife decided she wanted an old bike that got a lot of attention, like my Ole Norton. She found an old Harley 350 Sprint. Been working on it since last november. completely redone engine, electrical, new spokes, tires, seat, handlebars & controls, cables, battery, lights, Laperra seat, luggage rack & tombstone tail-light. almost completed, waiting on front fork seals. Pictured on the left.
    • 16840 posts
    November 1, 2011 5:24 AM PDT
    HogHaven wrote...
    My wife decided she wanted an old bike that got a lot of attention, like my Ole Norton. She found an old Harley 350 Sprint. Been working on it since last november. completely redone engine, electrical, new spokes, tires, seat, handlebars & controls, cables, battery, lights, Laperra seat, luggage rack & tombstone tail-light. almost completed, waiting on front fork seals. Pictured on the left.

Cool!
    Back in the 70's my cousin needed some cash so I bought his 1973 350 Sprint from him.
    I bought my first set of metric tools to work on it.

• December 23, 2011 11:38 AM PST
    HogHaven wrote about 1 month ago
    My wife decided she wanted an old bike that got a lot of attention, like my Ole Norton.

That is a badass Snorton my friend.
  • December 23, 2011 12:20 PM PST
    I ve riden off the shelf. I ve built my own. Work mainly in the metric line.
  • December 23, 2011 12:27 PM PST
    my 77 iron Head sporty.  I put  together and got it running from a pile of parts. Road it for a couple years before the engine blew.. nothing like the feeling when it starts up for you the first time after all the work.

• 19049 posts
    December 23, 2011 1:24 PM PST
    WOW have not seen this forum for some time...Nice sporty Rob
    • 1161 posts
    December 24, 2011 2:18 PM PST
    Wow! Some stunning looking. Bikes guys ( and gals) keep up the good work I love this!
  • December 25, 2011 8:07 AM PST
    Thanx Rex