Man plans 300-mile Harley ride without using hands

• October 6, 2010 1:50 AM PDT
    I appreciate the cause, but does this sound just a little crazy to anyone else???

A man plans to ride his Harley-Davidson about 300 miles from the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan to the Ohio border without using his hands to steer to raise money for Parkinson's disease research. Phil Comar of Adrian told The Daily Telegram that the Sunday ride is in memory of his father, Robert, who died in 2008. He wants to raise $3,000 with the ride for the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research.

The 61-year-old has been riding motor bikes and motorcycles almost 50 years, and said he'll steer with his legs and by leaning. An extra gas tank has been added to the back of his motorcycle so he can go nonstop.

• 58 posts
    October 6, 2010 1:56 AM PDT
    Sounds crazy to me.
    • 2072 posts
    October 6, 2010 3:03 AM PDT
    OK...................................
    • 6 posts
    October 6, 2010 4:27 AM PDT
    clutch? Throttle??? just a question...
    • 5420 posts
    October 6, 2010 4:58 AM PDT
    That was my thought... And are they clearing traffic????
    • 6 posts
    October 6, 2010 5:03 AM PDT
    Suicide shift+footclutch would work, low traffic highway would work, back brakes when neede, but the trottle has me stumped lol
    • 1 posts
    October 6, 2010 5:37 AM PDT
    When is this stunt gonna happen? anyone.... or should we look for it in MI Obits
    • 58 posts
    October 6, 2010 6:04 AM PDT
    I think maybe he caught one too many june bugs between the eyes!
  • October 6, 2010 6:31 AM PDT
    All 4 lane 475 and 75 with little traffic unless it is the go home at the end of a holiday weekend. It is then like LA at 4:00 PM , wall to wall cages.. I was going south on July 1 (Friday) and if the throttle had a lock I could have gone to sleep without a problem with traffic. It was all filled going north from Detroit.....
    • 1066 posts
    October 6, 2010 6:32 AM PDT
    RufCut, I think you're on to something! I'm still scratchin my head over the throttle issue.
  • October 6, 2010 6:58 AM PDT
    you would think there would be a safer way to raise money???
    • 1364 posts
    • 834 posts
    October 6, 2010 11:05 AM PDT
    SweetSoftTail wrote...
    you would think there would be a safer way to raise money???

There are.  I really hope the ol' guy don't hurt himself or someone else!

• October 6, 2010 7:52 PM PDT
    id like to ride behind him for awhile to check it out. I ride with no hands sometimes but thats after ive set my cruise control. I too am wondering about the thrpttle setup, possibly a wireless setup with a remote control in his hand , afterall most new bikes have electronic fuel control.
    • 844 posts
    October 11, 2010 5:36 AM PDT
    Well it looks like he made it, but still doesn't answer all the questions asked above...

Sylvania, Ohio —

Phil Comar of Adrian left Mackinaw City at the Mackinac Bridge at 7:55 a.m. Sunday and crossed into Ohio on U.S. 23 at 12:08 p.m., completing his no-hands motorcycle ride. After crossing the state line, Comar stopped at a gas station in Sylvania, Ohio, to celebrate with friends. Comar had a modified gas tank so he wouldn’t have to stop and a couple spotters who rode with him. He made the ride to raise money for Parkinson’s disease research. He will submit the ride to the Guiness Book of World Records.
    • 580 posts
    October 12, 2010 1:32 AM PDT
    wheels wrote...
    id like to ride behind him for awhile to check it out. I ride with no hands sometimes but thats after ive set my cruise control. I too am wondering about the thrpttle setup, possibly a wireless setup with a remote control in his hand , afterall most new bikes have electronic fuel control.

My how this site opens your eyes!!!!  I didn't know bikes came with cruise control!  Mainly see street and sports bikes over here and they don't have cruise control.
    • 1780 posts
    October 12, 2010 11:00 AM PDT
    Set the friction lock and go for it.....where there is a will there is a way. Kudo's to ya mate!
    Night Dragon
    • 9 posts
    November 15, 2010 7:55 AM PST
    GoFur wrote...
    Well it looks like he made it, but still doesn't answer all the questions asked above...

Sylvania, Ohio —

Phil Comar of Adrian left Mackinaw City at the Mackinac Bridge at 7:55 a.m. Sunday and crossed into Ohio on U.S. 23 at 12:08 p.m., completing his no-hands motorcycle ride. After crossing the state line, Comar stopped at a gas station in Sylvania, Ohio, to celebrate with friends. Comar had a modified gas tank so he wouldn’t have to stop and a couple spotters who rode with him. He made the ride to raise money for Parkinson’s disease research. He will submit the ride to the Guiness Book of World Records.

Crazy? Hell yes. Was he making a point? Yeah, and it was taken. Here's the kicker, where he stopped the ride, about 1/2 mile from my childhood home. So there you go, if you had any doubts before, you won't now. People from Ohio and Michigan, come up with the most ambitious things, cause we have long assed winters to dream them up!!!  I hope Michael J. Fox meets this guy, I know he would thank him.
    Ride "hands" Free
    Tweek
    • 1780 posts
    November 15, 2010 8:00 AM PST
    The cause is just.....the method????? Hey if you want to impress the media......do this shit blind folded. It's a hell of a rush as well. No really try it.....Get on a freeway in the middle lane, no traffic, and ride as far as you can with your eyes closed. That will bring ya closer to ya maker. I've done it many times, and I always open my eyes to something like ....Holly Crap!!!
    I understand most everyone thinks I've got a few loose screws, but I plan on living life to the fullest in every way. I refuse to set in a chair drooling on myself and pissing my pants. Just so ya know! Oh yea, and  I love to just pull everybody chain every chance I get!......LOL
    Dragon
    • 1066 posts
    November 15, 2010 1:28 PM PST

NightDragon!  Ya never cease to makin me laugh Brother.

• 1780 posts
    November 15, 2010 11:52 PM PST
    Hollywood wrote...

NightDragon!  Ya never cease to makin me laugh Brother.

Hollywood Brother....I Miss ya!
    Dragon

• 580 posts
    November 16, 2010 12:00 AM PST
    nightdragon wrote...
    The cause is just.....the method????? Hey if you want to impress the media......do this shit blind folded. It's a hell of a rush as well. No really try it.....Get on a freeway in the middle lane, no traffic, and ride as far as you can with your eyes closed. That will bring ya closer to ya maker. I've done it many times, and I always open my eyes to something like ....Holly Crap!!!
    I understand most everyone thinks I've got a few loose screws, but I plan on living life to the fullest in every way. I refuse to set in a chair drooling on myself and pissing my pants. Just so ya know!

Oh yea, and  I love to just pull everybody chain every chance I get!......LOL

Dragon

Lol and BTW we hadn't noticed that last bit Dragon

Hugs

• September 10, 2012 11:33 AM PDT
     If you go to his web site, he explains how he does the ride.. And what hwy he takes.. He is very safe about this ride, he has riders around him and vehilces marked following him.. He does not put anyone in any danger.  He has done this ride before.  
    • 2 posts
    September 10, 2012 12:44 PM PDT
    Best have either:
    a. Depends
    or
    b. The ability to ride safely, standing on the seat, facing aft
  • September 10, 2012 4:18 PM PDT
    Honorable thing to do and dangerous. but i think the record book might have him beat. eddie paul rode 4 oo miles many many years ago and he madi by fueling his tank from the back of a truck. now that's just crazy man. here is the link to eddies website. you might have seen him on one of the discovery channel shark programs made and used the first ever shark stomack camera. you will also recognize alot of his other work like alice coopers car.

www.epindustries.com/