Scatchin' the Itch...

• 19034 posts
    October 1, 2010 4:25 AM PDT

... or "Travels with Riley."

As some of you know, in the summer of '09 I was fortunate enough to be able to take a 48-state-in-one-run ride. In all, I spent 38 days traversing 13,000 miles and 48 states. Although the motivation for the ride was a family tragedy, it still was a dream that came true. When I finished the ride, I had a serious case of after-the-trip blues. I decided it was time to take the next logical step (logical for me, at least).

I have one more road trip seed that has been growing steadily in my “things to do garden.” See, the one thing that frustrated me on the cycle ride was that I couldn't spend nearly enough time in the places I would have liked to.

Beginning in October, my roomie Riley and I will head out on a USA tour. Traveling by motor home, we will visit and spend as much time as we wish in some of this country’s most beautiful spots. We will be heading south for the winter and north for the summer and should be on the road for at least a year.

One of the things that  has me particularly excited is the opportunity to have face-to-face time with many of my CycleFish friends while out and about. For this future joy I have to thank Lucky and Hdbeech for having put together this fabulous CycleFish site. There will be an interactive “Scratchin’ the Itch” blog, where I hope to keep in touch with many of you. I still will be a regular on CF too although somewhat less than now.

We would love to share coffee, perhaps a meal, perhaps a drink ot two, and definitely some stories. So I am asking anyone who would like to meet Riley and me please contact us either here of at my blog listed below. Don't worry, we have our own residence and won't impose.
    Also you can follow our progress here. The blog is already started even though D-day will be around the 23
    rd of October. Be warned, photos will be posted! hahaha

http://scratchin-the-itch.blogspot.com/2010/09/how-this-started.html.

At times Rex will be in tow and at other times Mack (my Jeep CJ-7) will be in tow. I will take short trips back to PA for grand kids’ birthdays and for visits with family and friends; this is a unanimous requirement from my children.

My passion is photography and there will be plenty of that. Part of my dream for this trip is to create a coffee table book chronicling our travels. I also dabble in writing and, with the help of my fantastic editor daughter, Jen Darr Sweeney, I hope to put a lot of words in a coherent order. I hope you will follow Riley and me as we discover our America. John Steinbeck, Charles Kuralt and my “little sister” Buffy (aka AdventureGirl) all helped push me to finally Scratch this Itch.

• 0 posts
    October 1, 2010 4:57 AM PDT
    Sounds like a trip I would love to do sometime in the future.
    I will follow along as you go, and if you get to the Great NW, stop by. I have a driveway you can park in if you need, and lots of good riding in the area!
    • 1066 posts
    October 1, 2010 5:16 AM PDT
    Good for you Mike, and Riley. Sounds like it could be quite a year. When you hit Ohio, give us a hollar. We could put several CF Members together, that live here in the state. Send me a PM, I'll give you my phone number. Best to ya brother. Glad you're getting to fulfill your dream.
    • 58 posts
    October 1, 2010 6:39 AM PDT
    When / if you come through East Texas, let me know. With a few day's leadtime, I can be home and have a parking space ready for you. Will also be following your travels. Would love to meet you.  And if Riley doesn't mind sharing, a nice big fenced in yard!
    • 580 posts
    October 1, 2010 10:09 AM PDT
    Looking forward very much to following your travels on here and on your blog.  Way to go Mike and Riley
  • g
    October 1, 2010 11:23 AM PDT
    see u soon rex .
    • 25 posts
    October 1, 2010 9:47 PM PDT
    Oh how cool!! Please do let me know if you're anywhere near the Raleigh area in NC!

~Traccie
    • 1509 posts
    October 2, 2010 12:58 AM PDT
    Rex on your way back east your are welcome at motown hog heaven. in monessen hit me up so i can stock the fridge and get the grill fired up.
  • October 2, 2010 1:58 AM PDT
    Sounds like a dream come true! I will definetley follow along with your journey. In fact I will be anxiously awaiting all the details. And when you get up in the NW let us all know.

Cheri
    • 1780 posts
    October 2, 2010 4:40 AM PDT
    Rex my Brother I'll be exciting as a little kid at Christmas time to see ya again. Let me tell everyone that will get the chance to meet Rex for the first time, your in for a treat. This CF Brother is the real deal, no bull shit, no wanta be, he is a true Biker Brother, and you will love him as I do. Now have to warn ya, if he kisses ya on the cheek, that just means he thinks your a cool person.....lol. I'm very serious he is one hell of a guy.
    Miss ya dude....see ya in November
    Dragon
    • 601 posts
    October 2, 2010 5:54 AM PDT
    I will follow that blog. If by any chance you miss a turn at the east coast...keep on straight with a slight north easterly angle...you can't miss my house..its the second one in from the Atlantic, just turn left at the lighthouse, the kettle will be on and a few cold ones in the fridge, and I'm sure Liz will manage to rustle up a pot of stew.
  • October 2, 2010 6:02 AM PDT
    Hey Rex, you're welcome to stop at my place when you come through California, we've got lots of room here on the property. A couple of the guys from my band park their motorhomes here a few nights a week. We are right by the beach that you can drive on (Pismo) & there's motorhome camping there as well. Lots of great scenery around here! So let me know when you're coming through & we'll fire up the grille & load the cooler! It'll be great to meet another CF brother!
    • 5420 posts
    October 2, 2010 6:09 AM PDT
    I'm gonna try my best to keep a full bottle of Jack handy for when you come this way, but my bet is that won't happen so yo better call right before you get here so I can get a fresh bottle!!!

Oh yeah, there will be bisquits for Riley too!

• 1364 posts
    October 2, 2010 7:07 AM PDT
    Looking forward to your presents at the Highrisk and Deener pad.............. I bet you might even see a little of the world famous KISS collection and get to meet the world traveling Joey....
    • 0 posts
    October 2, 2010 8:33 AM PDT
    Mate that sounds like a bloody ripper trip.....watch yourself at Highrisk and Deeners ,that bloody Joey is out of control...Enjoy your travels Mate,oh and if we see you here it means you over inflated your tyres and took a wrong turn after drinking Jack with Lucky.
    • 601 posts
    October 2, 2010 9:21 AM PDT
    So..........lucky keeps a bottle of JD for visitors !!! see ya soon Lucky
    • 580 posts
    October 2, 2010 9:27 AM PDT
    rory1 wrote...
    So..........lucky keeps a bottle of JD for visitors !!! see ya soon Lucky

Yeah me too - it's one of my faves. 
    • 580 posts
    October 2, 2010 9:35 AM PDT
    Oh and Jamesons Rory for if I ever get over to Ireland (really smooth and comforting)

and

Glenfiddich for my Scottish trip g (smoky and hot)

Just so you guys know

PS - I'll return the favour whenever you're in my neck of the woods of course

Big Hugs (o:
    • 580 posts
    October 2, 2010 9:39 AM PDT
    Now Mike - back on topic. I've signed up to follow your blog and very much look forward to the next instalment. It will surely raise a cheer throughout our cold and dark winter months to follow your adventures in better climes.

Big Hugs
    • 601 posts
    October 2, 2010 10:04 AM PDT
    if your ever in my neck of the woods Choco...Jameson is distilled about 4 miles down the road, my brother works there and I'm sure we can arrange a tour ( and maybe a taste too)
    • 580 posts
    October 2, 2010 10:22 AM PDT
    rory1 wrote...
    if your ever in my neck of the woods Choco...Jameson is distilled about 4 miles down the road, my brother works there and I'm sure we can arrange a tour ( and maybe a taste too)

How cool is that - I'm just enjoying a wee glass of Jameson now actually

• 1516 posts
    October 2, 2010 10:46 AM PDT
    We would love you to stop by our house in Central Calif.. we will manage a bottle or two of Jack too.
    • 19034 posts
    October 3, 2010 12:29 AM PDT
    Now Kenny, I thought you didn't kiss and tell???!!!???
    I am flattered by all of the responses. I will definitely be contacting all of you. Looks like there is some Jack in my future, YES!!!!

D-day is getting close and I still have some upgrades to finish on Roz so I better get off this PC and get to it.
  • October 3, 2010 9:09 PM PDT
    looking forward to your pictures and let us know if you need anything when your in the San Diego area. Be safe brother Ps im not allowed to run out of "JACK" club rules so stop by if ya need a belt or three!
  • October 6, 2010 5:36 AM PDT
    becareful on your trip bro....lookin forward in seeing your pics on your trip...besafe bro