Riding and using a cell phone.

• 19049 posts
    September 9, 2010 11:19 PM PDT
    Well it has happened. For the first time I saw this idiot riding his motorcycle (country road at about 45mph) and using a handheld cell phone. Freakin Incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone else ever seen this???
    • 1 posts
    September 9, 2010 11:27 PM PDT
    There was a kid at work that used to text while riding....unbelievable!!!!
    • 1 posts
    September 9, 2010 11:52 PM PDT
    Seen it hell I have done it, but it was on a very long drive-way going leading to a buddy's house, but I would never ever use cell while riding a bike or operating a car on the highway or roadway. I have seen and know of individuals who use MP3 players plugged in both ears while riding, which is to me, just as dangerous as talking or texting on a cell. It is in most states illegal to have both ears plugged with an audio device. Ride Safe and Arrive Alive.
  • September 10, 2010 1:21 AM PDT
    why use a hand held when you can be blue tooth connected with voice command. Wife and I love Onstar connections for traffic avoidance. Had a fairring mounted radio on one bike that kept me out of problems and weather hazzards.
  • September 10, 2010 7:13 AM PDT
    wow! just another thing that makes me scratch my head, whats next eating a burger and drinking a cola while riding down the hwy?
    • 846 posts
    September 10, 2010 7:41 AM PDT
    Just the other day I seem the same thing. A kid on a bike in down town Manchester NH riding in the oppposite direction on a hand held cell phone in one hand other on the bars driving in two lane traffic. Not the slow kind either.

When I'm ride I use that as my time and cell phone calls can wait.
    • 5420 posts
    September 10, 2010 7:51 AM PDT
    I have never seen anyone actually using a hand held, but I have seen people hook up their cell phones to a headset for when they are riding.  First I can't believe that anyone is that damn important that they can't check for messages when they stop.  I mean really how long can you go between stops...a couple hours.

Secondly, I am not even that happy with the whole hands free thing.  Hell, if the task at hand (driving or riding) requires both hands, it probably requires a good portion of your attention!!!
    • 2072 posts
    September 10, 2010 10:21 AM PDT
    We live in a world of idiots sometimes !!!
    • 601 posts
    September 10, 2010 10:27 AM PDT
    I don't have a cellphone... some of the langers I see using them, in cars and trucks, make me happy I don't, what the feck is so important anyway. I walk down our main street on Saturday and every second person has one jammed into their ear, yet when there were no cellphones, I can't remember seeing a que outside a public payphone...and now they are doing away with phonebooths..whats a guy like me supposed to do if I want to call home, to get reminded of the things I was sent to shop for....Oh well, guess I'll just have to buy beer instead.
    • 19049 posts
    September 10, 2010 11:03 AM PDT
    Now I like that idea Neil, beer!!!
  • September 10, 2010 11:28 AM PDT
    The phone gets turned off win I ride. Hell I ride to get away from that stuff.
    • 5420 posts
    September 10, 2010 12:00 PM PDT
    Well Neil, my suggestion would be to go to your local bar. If you stay there long enough the wife will call, then you can ask her what you were supposed to get at the store.
    • 0 posts
    September 10, 2010 12:34 PM PDT
    I have my cell phone hooked up to the GPS and audio system, but never talk while riding. If it is important, I will answer and say "hold on a second I need to pull over". 99% of the time i just hit ignore.
  • September 10, 2010 12:43 PM PDT
    Saw a guy texting at Glencoe...a campground sure but can't be paying that much attention to riding if ur typing! Like most of u I like the fact that I am out of touch when riding.I can deal with whatever when I stop.
  • September 11, 2010 12:42 AM PDT
    I've seen it a couple times, takes all kinds I guess.
    • 1161 posts
    September 11, 2010 10:54 AM PDT
    Ok this is one of those topics I may show my A$$ but o' well.

I don't talk or answer the phone while im driving my cage.  Why in the hell would I do it on a bike?  But I never really liked phones in the first place.
    But as my dad says, " It is job security."   I don't think I would care asmuch if they did it and it just put them selves in the situations but they endanger EVERY ONE on the road, and if they have any one in the car or on the bike with them as well.  I don't know anything that can be texted to me to risk my life or freedom for killing some one else because I was being a distracted driver.  A few hours because I'm riding or driving can call me back or just wait till I pull over and I can call them back. 

Ok I'll get of my soap box now..