FOOD!!!

• August 28, 2010 11:30 AM PDT
    Easy squeezee ~

If it get's cold (which it will all too soon...)

Stormy Day Bean Soup

1 LB Great Northern (or Navy Beans)
    7C water
    2 bayleaves
    1 medium onion chopped
    2 ribs celery chopped
    1 Hamhock (I use a large ham steak ~ much less fat ;-)
    Wright's Hickory Seasoning (Liquid Smoke) to taste
    Salt and Pepper (to taste)

Bring beans and water to a rolling boil, boil 2 minutes, remove from heat and let stand 1 hour.

Add remaining ingredients, bring to a rolling boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer 1 hour 15 minutes or until beans are tender.

A good basic recipe you can add on ~ great source of fiber and when it's rainy and chilly (like it was up here last week) a very easy and welcome meal ;-)
    • 8 posts
    August 28, 2010 12:06 PM PDT
    Cabbage and Kielbasa sausage.

One pound of Kielbasa sausage
    One pound of bacon,
    One large head of cabbage
    One cup of H20
    Teaspoon of Caraway seeds
    Sugar about a quarter to three quarter cup.
    One med. Onion
    As much Garlic as you want
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Cut Kielbasa sausage into small pieces
    Cup bacon into small pieces and brown, spoon back out and save to the side
    Cut onion up and add to bacon grease along with the garlic and salt and pepper. Cook onion till translucent
    Cut the cabbage into slices and add to bacon grease and onion and garlic and mix up well, coating all cabbage with the grease.
    Add the water, sugar and caraway seed and sausage and cook till all is tender. Add as much water as you want to make it more or less soupy.
    When cabbage is nice and tender take off the heat and stir in bacon pieces.

Sit down with some really good dark Rye bread and butter and enjoy the smooth texture and mmmmm taste!!!
  • August 28, 2010 12:42 PM PDT
    Beef Stroganoff
    (circa 1956 during the Alaskan Constitutional Convention ~ from Sitka, AK)

2 lbs top sirloin or top round
    2 medium onions (3/4 - 1 lb)
    1/2 lb fresh mushrooms sautéed in butter (or 2 -4 oz cans mushrooms drained... whatever)
    2 - 10-1/2 oz cans consommé (or beef broth)
    flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp black pepper
    1 pt sour cream

Cut steak into 1/8th thin strips
    Flour, salt and pepper into a paper bag, shake steak in mixture and shake off excess.
    Sauté meat in 3 - 4 TBS (1/2 oil - 1/2 butter) til browned. Remove meat and set aside.
    Additional oil / butter as required to sauté onions in same pan til limp.
    Add meat
    Add 2 cans consommé and simmer 1 hour plus until tender
    Add mushrooms and simmer additional 15 minutes
    Add 1/2 plus sour cream or more as required just before serving ~ allow to heat through thoroughly.

Serve with rice or noodles.

Prepared and served in the basement of our house during the Constitutional Convention for the State of Alaska in the 1950s. Dad was the Delegate from Fairbanks and worked alongside Bill Egan (Convention Chair ~ and soon to be the State's First Governor) to prepare this meal for Delegates who were working toward Statehood.

So ~ I actually came from a 'Territory' if you will. She is The Great Land ;-)
    • 1161 posts
    August 28, 2010 6:29 PM PDT
    tattooman wrote...
    That would of been called Boudan (spelling) IT is great stuff, a sausage made out of what ever is around and also rice. I would love to add some to the Cookbook and so would my wife I think. The bad pard is all the things I make the recipe with are in my head along with the measurements lol.

That's it!  Deep fryed and SOOO good! 
  • August 30, 2010 3:16 AM PDT
    Quick Dutch Apple Pie ---- . for some one who wants a desert for a group and will fill the desire of a Sweet Tooth

1 Deep dish frozen pie crust

Filling
    2 21 oz cans of apple pie filling
    1/4 C Dark brown sugar
    1/2 tsp Cinnimon

Crumble
    3/4 C AP flour
    1/2 tsp Cinnimon
    1/2 C Brown surgar
    3/4 C Rolled Oats (old fashioned)
    1/2 C Butter (unsalted)

Mix filling, cinnimon and brown sugar. Fill 9" DEEPDISH pie crust. anthing less will be overfilled.
    Preheat oven to 375. Bake untopped pie for 15 minutes.
    Mix flour, cinnimon, brown sugar and rolled oates until well blended. Cut cold butter into the mixture until crumbly or pulse blend in a food processor.
    Place crumble on top of pie filling. Continue baking for 45 minutes.

Is best served warm with Ice Cream or Whipped Cream. My wife likes it with cream or milk.

This is very rich and small servings will finish a grand meal.

• 19046 posts
    August 31, 2010 10:31 AM PDT
    Well Beki, I went to the store and got the stuff I needed to make peach Cobbler. And I made it. It has been a while and I did it from memory, good but not great. Gonna find my friend's mother's recipe. Oh and finish the small cobbler I made...
    • 223 posts
    September 1, 2010 3:58 AM PDT
    Peach cobbler sounds SO good right now! Gee thanks, Rex, now I'm gonna have to go make one, lol!!!
    • 19046 posts
    September 1, 2010 9:20 AM PDT
    Well you started it so I figured payback was required. I bet yours is better than mine (was).
    • 0 posts
    September 1, 2010 9:42 AM PDT
    Fresh Salmon with Mango/papaya salsa

Doing this from memory;

Take a large salmon fillet and lay it on a bed of Alluminum foil. Roll the edges to retain the liquid.
    Sprinkle the fillet with a generous helping of lime juice. Lightly sprinkle cillantro (fresh prefered) over the top, and lightly dust the top with Cayenne pepper. Set aside to marinate for 15 minutes or so.

Take a handful of wood chips and wrap them in foil and puncture the top with a few holes. Lay this bag on your BBQ over the flame until it starts to smoke. Put the Salmon in the bbq off to the side, NOT over the flame, You want indirect heat. After about 20 minutes, close the foil and seal the salmon in.

Cook until salmon is done. If the salmon starts to get a little dry on top, spritz it with apple juice.

while the salmon is cooking, cut up a fresh mango and papaya into bite sized pieces.
    add a couple of teaspoons of lime juice, add chopped cillantro, and cayenne pepper to taste. (you don't need much) Lightle mix and put in refrigerator to chill until the salmon is done.

When salmon is done spoon salsa over salmon, allowing the salsa juices to run over the salmon and serve while salsa is still cold.

• September 1, 2010 10:29 AM PDT
    Etouffee and a meat pie. Razncain,I didn't see anything about making your own rue in your recipe. Gotta have homemade rue or just as well toss it in the trash. And Seakers, we ain't deep frying no boudain. Grill it or boil it.
    • 223 posts
    September 1, 2010 10:55 AM PDT
    Extreme, I'd have to do a video to show how I make my rue; if you know how to make one, then you know it can't be explained, it has to be shown. Maybe I'll do that next week when I make gumbo.

*EDIT*  Just went back and checked over what I wrote earlier and I didn't even bother with the recipe for the Etouffee, just mentioned that I made it for Dad's birthday.  Now if you're talking about the gumbo...

"On high heat, brown two and a half large onions in canola oil. Just as the onions turn clear, add 1/4 cup of flour. Brown flour and onions together until almost black, then add about 10 cups of water."

That's about as good as it gets when explaning a rue.  The rue also depends on what part of the bayou you're from, whether it's red or brown.  My jambalaya is red while my husband's is brown.  His is better than mine, so I let him cook it. 

So, where's your recipies????

• 0 posts
    September 1, 2010 10:56 AM PDT
    Well you mob i got alittle delicacy from down my way.....
    KANGAROO TAIL SOUP.
    good sized roo tail..(maybe from a fresh roadkill coz its kinda illegal to shoot them..if ya get caught)
    cut tail into bite sized peices and brown in a frypan with butter and a dash of brown vinegar
    cut up a couple of large carrots, potato's ,onions, and add to a bloody big pot
    brown off vege's then add the freid up roo tail
    fill pot with hot water and bring to the boil
    boil for about an hour then cool off to a simmer
    let simmer for 4 or 5 hours then let cool
    when cool skim fat and crap off the top then bring to the boil again
    make a fresh damper and serve hot
    soak up the juice with the damper and you've got a top feed.
    • 223 posts
    September 1, 2010 11:03 AM PDT
    Boof, I would LOVE to try that, sounds great!!!!

But... what's a damper????
  • September 1, 2010 11:04 AM PDT
    Blackpearl wrote...
    You (Beki and Mike) are funny!!! Mike ~ Boones Farm Orange?!? Holy guacamole man ~ I thought that stuff disappeared after my high school days ;-)

Good luck on this Beki ~ I tried it some time ago ~ got a few recipes, but it kinda faded away... looks like you're already having better luck ~ must be your 'psychic powers'.... HA HA!

Cheers! It is Friday!!! Hallelujah!

The Orange is "Fuzzy Navel" See my profile pic.

• 0 posts
    September 1, 2010 11:16 AM PDT
    razncain wrote...
    Boof, I would LOVE to try that, sounds great!!!!

But... what's a damper????

Damper is kinda like bread...just mix self raising flower water and a dash of salt.....Make a loaf wrap it in foil and throw it in the fire to cook. Just simple sorta bread.

• 223 posts
    September 1, 2010 11:28 AM PDT
    Sounds good!!!