Front brake making hissing noise

• August 14, 2010 5:26 AM PDT
    I was riding to work today and noticed that my front brake was making a hissing noise when I used it.  I am concerned that I'm loosing fluid somewhere but don't see anything.  Have anyone else come acrosss this?  Last thing I want is to run out of brakes while riding.

I ride a 2005 Dyna Low Rider

RaceAngel
  • August 14, 2010 6:18 AM PDT
    is your front brake control mushy? like squeezing a marshmallow? if not, no loss of fluid, these systems are so small, you would notice it immediately, my rear brakes hiss on my flht, because they are close to needing replacement. have you replaced your fronts? look at the front pads inside the caliper, you will see the rotor, the actual pad material and the backing plate for the pad, if there is 1/8th of pad material left, you are about due for front pads.
  • August 14, 2010 7:15 AM PDT
    I bought a warranty with the bike. I will take it by the dealership to have checked out.  It was bad enough when the  brakes went out on my race car and I took a trip to the emergency room.

Thank you.
  • August 14, 2010 7:26 AM PDT
    A thought of comfort when racing, We are all supposed to be going the same direction. On the road, nearly nobody knows where anyone is going and the walls are still hard. Brakes are a good thing for the road..
    • 1509 posts
    August 14, 2010 2:48 PM PDT
    there are 2 sepreate master cylinders on motorcycles be sure to use both and keep excessive stopping distances.
  • August 14, 2010 3:03 PM PDT
    hgsc90 wrote...
    A thought of comfort when racing, We are all supposed to be going the same direction. On the road, nearly nobody knows where anyone is going and the walls are still hard. Brakes are a good thing for the road..

yep! what howard said!
    • 1066 posts
    August 14, 2010 4:03 PM PDT
    RaceAngel, my LowRider makes a noise too. I had the front brakes replaced about 2 months ago. All the noise is, is the pads rubbing on the disc when you use the brake.
  • g
    August 15, 2010 8:21 AM PDT
    might be the pads are done ....but im sure it will hiss when u use them..
  • g
    August 15, 2010 8:22 AM PDT
    mine do .
    • 19007 posts
    August 15, 2010 9:23 AM PDT
    Have you looked for snakes???!!!???
  • g
    August 15, 2010 9:48 AM PDT
    no .not yet ...will do the morn ,its dark now .
    • 1066 posts
    August 15, 2010 12:18 PM PDT
    Mike, are you trying to give the girl something else to worry about ? Lol
  • August 15, 2010 1:05 PM PDT
    Yup ~ my Dyna sounds like a snake when I put on the brakes too... drilled rotors will do that.
    • 5419 posts
    August 15, 2010 3:34 PM PDT
    My brakes hiss too.  I normally can't here it between the engine and the road noise, but when I coast in at idle and then appy the front brakes I can hear it. 

Maybe try louder pipes
  • g
    August 15, 2010 9:10 PM PDT
    aye ...loud pipes ...spot on lucky .