Easy Way to Change Your Motorcycle Tire

• 1 posts
    April 29, 2010 5:31 AM PDT
    I usually will remove the wheel and tire and run them and the new tire down to my independant mechanic and have him mount and balance for me.  Then just put it back on the bike myself.  However I may try this next time.  Just ran across this link on another site.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299597 />
    • 5420 posts
    April 29, 2010 5:48 AM PDT
    Cool idea.  I was just getting ready to ask, how do you get the old tire off the rim without tire irons...then I saw this post at the bottom...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299856 />
    • 513 posts
    April 29, 2010 5:53 AM PDT
    Well blessin' be god and begorra like, but dontcha learn something new every day!

That is a great idea.
  • April 29, 2010 11:50 AM PDT
    Interesting.  My kind of redneck procedure right there..  Never thought of that though and I recently bought a motorcycle tire changer.  Damnit !!

Thanx,

jb
    • 19040 posts
    April 30, 2010 4:38 AM PDT
    OH HELL! I have been doing that for years. I shoulda patented my idea!!!!
  • April 30, 2010 6:05 AM PDT
    Many years ago when employed by Sears auto center in Ohio we had small trailer tires to remove and mount. We drilled a bench and used all thread rod for a tie down and 3/8 braid nylon rope with a loop tied in one end. slipped loop over a 3/4 pipe for a protector from all tread rod and slipped ropebetweenrim and tire beads. just pulled up and rotated around rim. It lifted the bead over the rim without screw drivers or irons. also worked putting on tire.
    • 2 posts
    April 30, 2010 1:57 PM PDT
    1st one here to actually do this let us know how it worked out.
    Do something like that for low pressure yard equipment tires but getting the bead to make is a b'. Figured out a way that works on yard equipment tires but would never work on a stiff cycle tire.
    Once saw a vid on using ether & an igniter to get the bead to make but have not yet developed the stones to try it.