building a bike.... where to start?

• 6 posts
    April 15, 2010 12:06 PM PDT
    Hey folks! I've been toying with some ideas for a couple weeks; my dad's Yamaha 650 is starting to develope some problems, and he's never been REALLY happy with it anyhow. (It sits pretty tall, doesn't track around corners very well, and is really lacking power, even doing 65 feels like she's coming apart at the seams, and he's had 650s that did much better....) ANYHOW, he's got a couple old basket case bikes, and one even has a title, so I'm thinking of building him something better if I can. I assume I should start with getting the frame cleaned up and in order, and probably needing to rebuild the motor that's in it (also a Yamaha 650, can't really afford a better motor, or I'd get it).

The bike needs to ride low, but have the ability to be loaded down for a long haul without rubbing tire. (I had to beef up the shocks on my bike, so I've already been down that road lol). It's gotta have a fairly wide, heavy feel to it, he actually has a Harley tank he'd like to use, but I'm not sure if it'll line up right. (?) I'm assuming that after all this time the forks are gonna need replaced, so I'm wondering what exactly would fit in an XS650 yolk, again, wanting wide and heavy. I'm looking for different seat options, too. I'd like to find the widest tires possible, I like Metzler, but I'm open to opinions on tires, too. It's going to be a bagger, I haven't really picked out bags yet, but I know he prefers fiberglass over leather. He's a touring guy, but this is really all I've got to work with. If I had an American basket case I'd build him that, but it looks like it's gonna be a 650.

Well, like I said, I've never done this before, and it's gonna be a slow project, since I'm starting without much money... so any input (especially on where to start), would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • April 15, 2010 2:32 PM PDT
    Seems like you got a good idea of what direction you want to go. Every bike i have built or mod that i have made i have done it in my mind first, down to the last bolt. Know what your starting with. Look for a web site for the Yamaha 650 I am sure you will find someone that has done just about what you want to do. After you get the mechanics down the rest is just fluff
    • 6 posts
    April 15, 2010 3:54 PM PDT
    Thanks bro, I was really hoping you'd respond to this, you've done some really great builds! If you don't mind, I might ask you stuff along the way lol
  • April 15, 2010 11:19 PM PDT
    if it was me i would crunch the numbers before i started spending money. i was on hard times a few years ago and had to sell my scooter, i found an old goldwing sitting in back of an old mans house. when i ask about it he said it had not even been started in 5 years. i checked it to make sure it was not "locked up", gave him $500,put in a battery, fresh gas, aired up the tires and rode it home. after a couple hundred bucks on a tune up and carb cleaning i rode it for the next 3 years with out doing anything but tires. i would probablystill be riding it if it had not been for that left hand turn...that i missed. 82 GL 1100 i miss it
  • April 15, 2010 11:32 PM PDT
    Popular build, here's a page full of ideas.
    www.xs650chopper.com/
  • April 17, 2010 10:07 AM PDT
    Older Gold Wings are pretty easy to come by and since your Dad is wanting a "touring bike" I'd say that would be the way to go. Nothing against the 650's but on long trips they just don't cut it.
    First off you have to remember that most times he'll be loaded down with gear and rider weight and a 650 just doesn't have the balls to pull this type of load over the long haul.
    The 650's are fine for tearing around town and local runs - but are not built for the long haul. What I would do is try some swap meets and trade for what you'll need for what ya got.
  • April 22, 2010 3:30 AM PDT
    ... GoldWing ??? :-P
    ... I REALLY don't want to knock anyone's ride, but --- I'd stuff a Detroit Diesel in my lawn tractor before going that route... I want a motorcycle --- NOT a 2-wheeled Car !
    ... I actually LIKE the Honda Shadow ACE models (the 750 isn't THAT much bigger than a 650), and my first "bagger" was a Honda 150 Benley ("Baby Dream") that I drove cross-country back in 1969-1970... Followed that with Two 305 Dreams... BOTH of those handled the highway very well !
    ... The starting point chassis Nathan is working on has already been slightly modified with a touch of lowering and a Harley rear wheel w/ Disc Brake... The Bro I got it from used to ride with me before my 73 FLP was stolen, and it would do about 95 with no difficulty... Several months after I got it, some brat kids stole it, tried to hot-wire it and fried the whole electrical system before we recovered it a few hours later... I rewired as best as could be done and rode it for about 3 yrs on just a truck battery strapped down to the luggage rack... Then the carbs started leaking & wisdom said: "Park It --- before you hurt yourself !"... It HAS potential ! If nothing else --- it'll be good hands-on experience with a frame-up restoration... We "Whitelocks" have always been a bit visionary & inventive, outside the normal boxes ! Thanks for replies & encouragement to Nate...
    • 6 posts
    April 22, 2010 6:11 AM PDT
    lol I wondered how long it would take for his feelings toward Goldwings to come out!!! ROFL. Anyhow, I really don't have anything else to start with, and to be honest, I went to a swap-meet the other day and I don't think that what we've got would be worth anything to that crowd at all. Hopefully, I'll be posting "before" pics soon. I did buy his handlebars, found a set from an '04 HD fatboy for $20 (I'll have to a little modifying, the Harley bars are 1 inch, and the Yamaha bars are 7/8). Still looking for the right set of bags, tank, and crashbars. I'm thinking of using BIG metal ammo cases from the Army-Navy fir saddle bags, they're boxy and simple, and with the right black and white paint job, I think it could have a nice old school police bike look to it. I've got so many ideas it's gonna take me a while to even decide which direction to go with some of it. Also just noticed that I need to find gauges. oops. lol.
    • 6 posts
    August 10, 2010 12:19 PM PDT
    Well, it's been a while since this post went anywhere, so I figured I'd throw an update on it... I've completely stripped her to bare frame... (except for one &*%*^%*%* part, I'll get to that in a minute!!) I've cleaned, wire brushed, and sanded all the old paint and rust off of it, and just today got about 3 coats of black primer on the frame, and also primed a few other parts. I've taken pics of it as it sits, just have to load them up. It's a strange feeling when seeing a bare frame with some primer on it feels like a major accomplishment and a step in the right direction, but that's where I'm at right now. (I know, I know, probably not a big deal to most folks, but for me it's been a long process of tinkering (carefully) whenever I had a moment, which is not a lot lol). It feels pretty good to walk into my garage and not see a locked up rusty pile of junk standing there, but a nicely primed foundation for something.... IDK, just me being a little sentimental about creating something like this for the first time. Hope the bike means as much to my Dad as it will to me lol!!!

Anyhow, to the next question: How the *&^%(^%^&%*& do you take the bottom part of the triple tree off the yolk?? It looks like two crown nuts threaded onto each other at the top... if you unthread them, it looks like it'll drop out from the bottom (maybe with a little help lol). The problem is that I can't get the nuts to turn, at all. I've soaked them in oil, beat them with a rubber mallet and a chisel trying to use the crowns to turn them.... nothing. They just won't turn, either direction. I'd leave them there, but the steeting bearings REALLY need replaced, so the part has to go. Anyone know a secret that I can't figure out??? My garage has heard a few things that I'm not so proud of, and I'm shocked I haven't busted something launching objects across the room.... help. lol (I took pics of that, too, if it would help to see, but I imagine someone on here has dealt with something similar and knows what I'm talking about)!
    • 6 posts
    August 10, 2010 2:42 PM PDT
    While I'm at it, got a couple other questions, too.... here goes, hope they aren't dumb lol

This is gonna be a hardtail, and I'll be fabricating my own hardtail struts. Do I need to use rubber bushings, or should they slide firmly over the shock posts, metal to metal?

I'm also thinking of trying to make my own solo seat for the bike, I've got some ideas, but I'm wondering what the best way is to do that from scratch. Keep in mind, I have no welder or cutting torch. Anything I do would be molded plastic (can make a cast mold for pouring resin) or cut/hammered metal. I have plenty of access to metal materials and seat foam and covering, and cheap, but I need to figure out how to best fabricate the pan.
    • 601 posts
    August 12, 2010 8:41 AM PDT
    Metal to metal is a bad move, rubber may be OK but personally I would use extra strong Teflon...heres a link that I know a few guys have used..http://www.ethyleneatlantic.com />
    As for the seat pan...get some plaster or similar material..(hospital stuff is best) sit on it when wet, allow to dry and bingo...perfect fit.
    • 6 posts
    August 14, 2010 4:43 AM PDT
    Thanks! I had kinda thought of the plaster thing, lol! kinda adds a "personal" touch to it, huh?! LOL. Had NOT thought about using other types or bushings, I'll definitely take a look at the link you provided! Thanks again!
  • August 15, 2010 2:23 PM PDT
    ... Just what I need most in life --- a plaster casting of my scrawny old butt !
    ... I can see that "trophy" hanging on the wall in my ministry office...
    ... OR, he might mix some kinda epoxy with it and I'd have to wear it for the rest of my earthly days ! :-P
    ... Fortunately, we have a few surplus stores around, and numerous flea-markets / swap meets --- I'm SURE we'll find something suitable !
  • August 15, 2010 2:27 PM PDT
    i found a solo springer seat at my local harley shop last year, the person that ordered it never picked it up, and i got it for $50. look around, deals are everywhere
    • 6 posts
    August 17, 2010 1:02 PM PDT
    Oh, trust me, if I can't find a deal on a solo seat, you're sittin' in the plaster, Dad!!!! LOL (unless, of course, you'd rather have a plaster cast of MY rear hanging in your office!)

Anyhow, real reason for posting is that I'm still hoping to get some advice about what to do with that triple-tree. Again, the steering bearings are so bad, it's gotta come out, but I can't seem to get anywhere on it.... That's actually the first thing I have to do before I can re-assemble her into a rolling chasis. After that, it's just gonna be body work, wiring, and fuel line.
    • 601 posts
    August 18, 2010 6:16 AM PDT
    Hawk6351 wrote...
    Oh, trust me, if I can't find a deal on a solo seat, you're sittin' in the plaster, Dad!!!! LOL (unless, of course, you'd rather have a plaster cast of MY rear hanging in your office!)

Anyhow, real reason for posting is that I'm still hoping to get some advice about what to do with that triple-tree. Again, the steering bearings are so bad, it's gotta come out, but I can't seem to get anywhere on it.... That's actually the first thing I have to do before I can re-assemble her into a rolling chasis. After that, it's just gonna be body work, wiring, and fuel line.

Throw a pic up here of your problem...'tho after the beating you gave them , a set of easy outs is probably the way to go.

• 6 posts
    August 19, 2010 12:44 PM PDT
    this is a pretty good pic of the top of the yolk; I think the crown nuts come off separately, and the bottom of the tree should slide out from the bottom of the yolk??? I haven't torn anything up, didn't want to damage it, 'cause I'd like to replace the bearings and use the same tree, but I'm about the take a grinding wheel to it!!!!
    • 6 posts
    August 19, 2010 12:45 PM PDT
    (sorry, it was a better pic, but I had to crop it to make it load!!!!)
  • August 19, 2010 1:37 PM PDT
    Shop class call to order......... Bottom nut sets the bearing preload. Top nut locks the bottom from turning by Jamming the nuts tight against each other. First a spanner wrench (adjustable or rigid "Hook") is the best way to move them. Next best is a square faced "Brass" punch to fit the width of the notch in the nut. They are right hand threads so righty tight (clockwise)--lefty loose (counterclockwise). Mark with a felt marker first for later assembly to be sure they are tight. Strike firmly the spanner or punch with a large heavy hammer to loosen the TOP nut only. After the top nut is removed, then remove the bottom nut. Failure to loosen Jam fit will most generally cause thread damage. Too small of a hammer or failure to apply enough force (shock) to loosen the nut can also result in a peenning damage to the nut. That is also why a Deadblow or Softface hammer will not work. After the two nuts are removed then use thr soft or dead blow hammer to remove the top plate. The nut left on the bearing shaft threads if in full contact will protect the threads of the nut and shaft. It can also prevent black and blue toes if it lets go quickly. Strike the shaft square and sharply. An oak or hard wood block would work with a hard hammer also. If they have been in the weather then a good soak of liquid wrench or penetration oil and soak time will help prevent thread damage. They are usually a fine thread and can be damaged sometimes very easily. Best of luck and keep your fingers protected..
    • 6 posts
    August 20, 2010 5:54 AM PDT
    Wow thanks for the detailed instructions there! (sounds like you've maybe done that once or twice!) Also sounds like a story of needing the right tools for the job, I'll have to go locate a spanner, and a square punch. I was using a rubber mallet and chisel, and got NOWHERE in record time. Thanks again, I'll post when I have the right tools and get the thing out.
  • February 8, 2011 2:12 AM PST
    Does anyone have any suggestion on good books or DVD's that will explain every facet of building a bike from scratch? (electrical, rebuilding an engine, troubleshooting) Would like to do a little recon before biting of more than I can chew!
  • February 8, 2011 4:25 AM PST
    Service manuals have helped me alot in the past and they usually have a pretty good wiring diagramin them also. If your a little bit apprehensive about building a bike from scratch then maybe some bike modifications or buying a rolling chassis might be a better idea. Without knowing what level of bike mechanic you are it's hard to really point you in the right direction. Good luck
    • 58 posts
    February 8, 2011 9:51 AM PST
    Hawk6351 wrote...
    lol I wondered how long it would take for his feelings toward Goldwings to come out!!! ROFL. Anyhow, I really don't have anything else to start with, and to be honest, I went to a swap-meet the other day and I don't think that what we've got would be worth anything to that crowd at all. Hopefully, I'll be posting "before" pics soon. I did buy his handlebars, found a set from an '04 HD fatboy for $20 (I'll have to a little modifying, the Harley bars are 1 inch, and the Yamaha bars are 7/8). Still looking for the right set of bags, tank, and crashbars. I'm thinking of using BIG metal ammo cases from the Army-Navy fir saddle bags, they're boxy and simple, and with the right black and white paint job, I think it could have a nice old school police bike look to it. I've got so many ideas it's gonna take me a while to even decide which direction to go with some of it. Also just noticed that I need to find gauges. oops. lol.

I had 50 cal boxes on my Guzzi way back when.  I never painted them and the MP's hated them.  An MP friend actually caught me at the gate with a can of black paint and painted over the lettering on the cans.  Great.. Large, easy to pack boxes!