What's Cookin'?

• April 10, 2010 10:42 AM PDT
    Okay ~ just thought I'd take a shot and see if it has merit...

The sun's out, you're back after a ride (or have some buds over) and you fired up the grill...

What are some of your favorites and would you share them (the recipes folks, the recipes...)?

Here's one for the kick of (and it is good)...

GRILLED BRINED CHICKEN BREASTS

2 Large, whole, boneless chicken breasts (each 12 - 16 oz) or 4 half breasts (each 6- 8 oz)
    1/4 Cup coarse salt
    1/4 Cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
    20 whole peppercorns
    1 red chile pepper, sliced thinly
    2 bay leaves
    1 Cup hot water, plus 3 Cup cold water
    1 lemon thinly sliced
    1 small onion thinly sliced
    2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed

1. Cut chicken breasts in half. Rinse and blot dry. Arrange in a non reactive baking dish.
    2. Make brine: Place salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, chile pepper and bay leaves in a large bowl and add hot water. Whisk until salt and sugar are dissolved. Stir in cool water and let cool to room temperature. Pour brine over breasts and stir in the lemoon slices, onion and garlic. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and let stand in the refrigerator for 2 hours, turning the breasts once or twice.
    3. Set up the grill for direct grilling. Brush and oil the grate. Cook chicken breasts 4 - 6 minutes per side. Test for doneness, poke a breast in the thickest part with your finger. It should be firm to the touch. (The chicken, the chicken...)

This recipe works well with all kinds of poultry ~ I use all of the chicken and sometimes smoke it with indirect heat.
    Quail need only 1 hour to brine and turkeys take overnight.

Ride safe!
  • April 10, 2010 11:23 AM PDT
    Another man that knows his way around the kitchen! Have you talked to hcg yet? He feasts!!!
    I don't cook anymore since I got divorced and Mom passed. Coffee and chocolate!
    • 467 posts
    April 10, 2010 11:29 AM PDT
    My fav will always be seafood kabobs! Shrimp, scallops, rock tails, peppers, potatoes, cobbettes, pearls, garlic, etc. Marinade with EVOO, ground pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning. Keep some to brush on as you turn.
  • April 10, 2010 11:31 AM PDT
    I was beginning to wonder... thought I might be ostracized or something... until you eat here ;-)
    Used to cook in restaurants in my 'former life' ~ love to do it and enjoy everyones' company. Have you noticed how everyone hangs out around the kitchen at a get together? It's called food and soul ;-)
    Don't know if you've had it (or if you've been to the 'Left Coast' ;-) but Alder Smoked Salmon is the best ~ and if you haven't had Alaskan Halibut pan fried with a little bit of Chardonnay... gettin' hungry yet?
  • April 10, 2010 11:37 AM PDT
    cnciaco wrote...
    My fav will always be seafood kabobs! Shrimp, scallops, rock tails, peppers, potatoes, cobbettes, pearls, garlic, etc. Marinade with EVOO, ground pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning. Keep some to brush on as you turn.

Now we're cookin'!  I'm starting to feel like Emeril...

Where's upper East Coast with some lobster and clam bakes??? And some of that 'Down home Southern cookin'... Come on!!!

I would love some real Creole

• 19043 posts
    April 11, 2010 12:49 AM PDT
    sidetrack wrote...
    Another man that knows his way around the kitchen! Have you talked to hcg yet? He feasts!!!

Well mySweet, that is gonna change!

• April 11, 2010 1:00 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    sidetrack wrote...

Honey, I'll be sitting watching YOU, while you cook up the veges you have sat and watched ME grow in the garden! LOL 
    • 19043 posts
    April 11, 2010 1:06 AM PDT
    Ha Ha HA Gotta be some meat too.
    I will cook dinner but you gotta supply the desert....
    • 1 posts
    April 11, 2010 1:06 AM PDT
    sidetrack wrote...
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    sidetrack wrote...

Honey, I'll be sitting watching YOU, while you cook up the veges you have sat and watched ME grow in the garden! LOL 

It's all about team work     Hopefully the garden grows better than last year.
  • April 11, 2010 1:14 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    Ha Ha HA Gotta be some meat too.
    I will cook dinner but you gotta supply the desert....

You supply the meat and I'll supply the dessert!! Maybe we'll have dessert first! LOL 
  • April 11, 2010 4:41 AM PDT
    Hmmm ~ sounds 'lo-cal' to me...
    • 467 posts
    April 11, 2010 5:04 AM PDT
    Blackpearl wrote...
    cnciaco wrote...

Now we're cookin'!  I'm starting to feel like Emeril...

Where's upper East Coast with some lobster and clam bakes??? And some of that 'Down home Southern cookin'... Come on!!!

I would love some real Creole

That's my version of the east coast--I'm Mexican from the middle of the country and you know we don't BBQ--Damn beans keep fallin through the grill!
    • 5420 posts
    April 11, 2010 5:17 AM PDT
    I have been told that my suasage and pepper sandwiches are to die for...probably because I was taught by my grandfather who was born and raised in Silcily, and then owned an Itialian butcher shop and deli in Brooklin.  Maybe I'll share the family recipe for homemade raviolis one day

Here's what you need...

6 - Sweet Italian Sauages (fresh if you can get them)
    2 - Green Pepper
    1 - Red Pepper
    1 - Yellow Pepper
    1 - Large Yellow Onion
    6 - Fresh Galic Cloves
    1 - Large Jar Prego Speghetti Sauce (I make my sause from scratch when I have the time, but commercial sauce works fine too if you add some flavor)

Begin browing the sausage in a dry frying pan or skillet.  Cook over medium-low heat just enough so they are not pink inside, about 20 minutes. (they will cook more in the sauce later).  Be sure to trun them often so as not to burn the outsides.

Heat the sauce in a very large pot (must be big enough to hold the sause and all the other stuff).  If you are using sause from the jar, add the remaining chopped garlic, a pinch of salt and italian seasoning (to taste), and a small can of tomato paste to thicken the sause.

Slice all the peppers into strips about 1/4" wide.  Cut the onion into 1/4" thick rings, and then cut the rings in half.  Finely chop the garlic cloves.  Preheat a frying pan with about 1/4" of virgin olive oil.  Add the peppers, onion, and 1/2 of the chopped garlic. Saute covered, stirring often, until they are semi-soft.  It is very importantant that you saute them covered...the steam will soften them faster so you don't cook all the flavor out, or brown the skin.  Once they are semi-soft, add just enough sauce to coat the veggies, and continue to saute until they are completely soft.

Once the veggies and sausage are cooked, add them to the sause and let them simmer over the lowest heat possible for about an hour, stirring occassionaly.  Let them sit on the stove with no heat for about another hour, then just before you are ready to serve, warm them over medium heat.

Serve on french rolls making sure there are lots of peppers and onions on each sandwich.

• April 11, 2010 6:29 AM PDT
    I never cook anything the same way twice, never met a woman that could cook worth a damn either, they are good at baking though........... lol
    • 1516 posts
    April 11, 2010 6:31 AM PDT
    Mike and Deb... you two make me happy!!!
    • 19043 posts
    April 11, 2010 8:07 AM PDT
    Debra Jo, Thank You, Lucky, next time I am in Cali ya gotta make some.
  • April 12, 2010 10:38 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    I have been told that my suasage and pepper sandwiches are to die for...probably because I was taught by my grandfather who was born and raised in Silcily, and then owned an Itialian butcher shop and deli in Brooklin.  Maybe I'll share the family recipe for homemade raviolis one day

Here's what you need...

6 - Sweet Italian Sauages (fresh if you can get them)
    2 - Green Pepper
    1 - Red Pepper
    1 - Yellow Pepper
    1 - Large Yellow Onion
    6 - Fresh Galic Cloves
    1 - Large Jar Prego Speghetti Sauce (I make my sause from scratch when I have the time, but commercial sauce works fine too if you add some flavor)

Begin browing the sausage in a dry frying pan or skillet.  Cook over medium-low heat just enough so they are not pink inside, about 20 minutes. (they will cook more in the sauce later).  Be sure to trun them often so as not to burn the outsides.

Heat the sauce in a very large pot (must be big enough to hold the sause and all the other stuff).  If you are using sause from the jar, add the remaining chopped garlic, a pinch of salt and italian seasoning (to taste), and a small can of tomato paste to thicken the sause.

Slice all the peppers into strips about 1/4" wide.  Cut the onion into 1/4" thick rings, and then cut the rings in half.  Finely chop the garlic cloves.  Preheat a frying pan with about 1/4" of virgin olive oil.  Add the peppers, onion, and 1/2 of the chopped garlic. Saute covered, stirring often, until they are semi-soft.  It is very importantant that you saute them covered...the steam will soften them faster so you don't cook all the flavor out, or brown the skin.  Once they are semi-soft, add just enough sauce to coat the veggies, and continue to saute until they are completely soft.

Once the veggies and sausage are cooked, add them to the sause and let them simmer over the lowest heat possible for about an hour, stirring occassionaly.  Let them sit on the stove with no heat for about another hour, then just before you are ready to serve, warm them over medium heat.

Serve on french rolls making sure there are lots of peppers and onions on each sandwich.

Thanks for sharing your Grandfather's recipe. I think Rex and I will try this one out this week. I'll let you know how he does with it.....LOL 
    • 601 posts
    April 12, 2010 10:50 AM PDT
    my son BBQ's a lot of food mostly what he's caught himself fish and such...rabbit is his tastiest, marinade in balsamic vinegar and honey mustard for an hour, then onto the grill for 20 mins, brush with salt water and sweet red wine while cooking, eat with lots of beer and burnt potatoes.
    • 568 posts
    April 12, 2010 10:55 AM PDT
    does he shoot his rabbitts, rory?! was thinking ta get me a slingshot fer same purpose, thanx fer recipe, boi
    • 601 posts
    April 12, 2010 11:24 AM PDT
    he puts a ferret down the burrow and a net over it...rabbits come running to him, sometimes he uses a terrier instead of the net, nice to see a good dog doing what its supposed to do.
    • 844 posts
    December 13, 2011 2:58 AM PST
    We've got us a great recipe down here in Texas. You get a steak, not just any old steak, but the biggest, thickest steak you can find. You put the steak over fire, flip one time and then eat it. If you need something on the side, a smaller steak goes real well with it!
    • 5420 posts
    December 13, 2011 8:38 AM PST
    No we're talking - beef with a side of beef! Don't know if everyone has the Hot Dog chain Wienerschnitzel, but they came out with an all beef hot dog topped with pastrami... yeah!
    • 9 posts
    December 13, 2011 10:53 PM PST
    Flatlander wrote...
    I never cook anything the same way twice, never met a woman that could cook worth a damn either, they are good at baking though........... lol

I'll take that challenge Flatlander...               

Tweek's Awesome Enchilada's

What you'll need:

One pound ground chuck
     1 cup cooked White rice
    1 16oz jar Old El Paso Chunky Salsa (desired hotness)
    1 envelope OEP taco seasoning mix
    1 can fat free OEP refried beans
    1 4 cup pkg. Sharp Cheddar shreds
    1 finely chopped onion (Vidalia's are best)
    1 can diced tomatos with onion, drained
    1 Lg, pkg. 10" flour tortillas
    4 8oz, cans OEP Enchilada sauce
    1 sm. 4oz can green chili peppers (optional)
    1 16oz container Breakstone's Sour Cream
    Pam Olive Oil cooking spray
    2 9x11 glass baking dishes

Brown and drain the beef, and add the Taco seasoning mix
    Saute onions, just to transparency
    Move ingredients to Dutch Oven (10" Soup pan)
    Stir in refried beans, diced tomato, cooked rice, 2 Tbs.'s
    chunky salsa, and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shreds, and
    green chili peppers. (More or less to taste)
    Mix all ingredients thoroughly (this is your filling)

Place all tortilla's in a slightly damp clean kitchen towel
    or cheesecloth, and microwave for 25 seconds (to soften)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Spray glass pans with Pam Olive Oil cooking spray
    Open Enchilada sauce, and pour just enough sauce in
    the bottom of the pans, to cover the bottom.

Place one tortilla on dinner plate, and starting on one side
    of the shell, take 2 heaping TBS's of the filling and sprinkle
    the mixture in a line, stopping 1 1/2 inches from the ends of
    the shell.  Sprinkle a little more cheese shred on top of the
    filling.  Now, having the tortilla with the filling in front of you
    horizontally, roll tortilla once, firmly.  Then, turn both ends of
    the shell inward (covering the filling on the ends.)  At this
    point finish rolling the tortilla .  Repeat until all the tortillas
    and mixture are gone.  Should make 12 Enchiladas

Place six of the rolled enchiladas, folded side down, in each pan.
    *IF,  this is your first time, and your enchie's are a little thin,
    you may put all in one glass pan.

Pour 2 cans Enchilada sauce over the top of the enchie's
    making sure to "wet" any tortilla shell showing.  ***if you
    run short of sauce, spoon some sauce from the pan over
    the shell to wet. 

Divide the remaining cheddar cheese shreds and heap
    generously over the enchie's.

Bake for 30 min.'s to thouroughly heat and finish cooking
    the mixture.  And bring the cheese to a bubbly brown finish....

Let sit 5-10 min.'s before serving.

Spoon Large Dallop of Sour Cream in center (if desired).
    Serve with Santito's Tortilla Chips and OEP Chunky Salsa

Try this recipe. I guarantee, you'll change your mind, about a woman who can cook.  (And this is just one of my "fun" dishes....lol)
    Enjoy!!!  Undele'  

Ride Free
    Tweek

• 19043 posts
    December 13, 2011 10:57 PM PST
    Sounds Delicious Tweek.
    • 7 posts
    December 14, 2011 1:58 AM PST
    When the budget permits...

Aged Rib Eye steaks, salt, pepper... VERY hot grill... 60 seconds per side to sear in the juices... reduce heat and cook to taste... med. rare highly recommended :-))

Did I mention a cold one?