City Beautification - Port Jefferson, NY to Eliminate Motorcycle

• April 7, 2010 4:22 AM PDT
    So no one from this site lives there and knows what prompted all this fuss about Bikers.
  • April 7, 2010 4:45 AM PDT
    Flatlander wrote...
    So no one from this site lives there and knows what prompted all this fuss about Bikers.

I got the following message from Lilmama104 from cycle fish.

"Hey Defcon......my husband and I ride and we live in Port Jefferson Village. We, the Villagers, welcome bikers. Bikers are part of what make Port Jefferson interesting and different. Don't believe for a minute we residents feel that way. That was just one ignorant, arrogant person who wants to speak for the people. But the Mayor will set them straight. It would be kind of "whack" if we lived here and couldn't ride our bike out of the garage...so silly. Maybe my husband could pick all 1000 pounds of it and carry it up the hill to the next town. Port Jeff is a cool town...come and visit."    -End Quote

Apparently, one person on the Business Improvement District Board has a hard-on for bikers and sent the flyer out without running it by his fellow board members.Who knows.....as it is right now, there seems to be no other fuss from anyone against bikers and no support for this one guys view.  They have a parking problem that, as stated by their own letters addressing the issue, and the restrictions for this are applied to cars and bikes alike.  The Mayor has stated that they have already planned a motorcycle only parking area as well.....This rogue idiot sent out a flyer that made it to the net and went worldwide before they knew what hit 'em.  Which is a shame that it may cost them though they aren't anti-biker as a community.
    • 5420 posts
    April 7, 2010 4:51 AM PDT
    hgsc90 wrote...
    I just took a look at "www.portjeff.com"; to see what is "UP".

Thanks for checking on this Howard.  Here are the two letters on the Home Page of the Port Jefferson City Website...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Message from BID President Bruce Passarelli

Dear Mayor Garant,

A letter was distributed displaying reasons for ending parking on Main St with the BID’s seal on it. I was out of town when that was done. There was NO approval from the  BID’s Board of Directors about sending out that letter. It is an unofficial letter. I first saw it after the fact when I returned. I want to make that perfectly clear.

I, and others on the Board, are quite upset about it. I know personally the Merchants of Port Jefferson welcome the motorcyclists. I am considering resigning from the BID’s Board of Directors. Again, I was unaware of this being sent out and it should never have been sent, period.

Sincerely,
    Bruce Passarelli
    President  PJ BID.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Message from Mayor Margot Garant

The Village of Port Jefferson would like to take this opportunity to clarify a few points about a certain flyer that was distributed around town, which described motorcyclists as “unsightly”, among other reasons in an attempt to encourage a No Parking policy on Main Street.

Although this flyer looks like it was endorsed and produced by the Port Jefferson Business Improvement District, it was actually posted by one member of the District while the President was on vacation, without seeking approval from the BID as a whole. This flyer represents the views and opinions of one person, not the Village, nor the Business Improvement District, as a whole.

At this time, the Village has no plans to change any of the parking regulations on Main Street, or any other Village streets for that matter. Additionally, the Village’s Parking Committee is working on plans to increase parking, and designate specific locations for motorcycle parking, to make the town more accessible to riders. Mayor Garant respectfully requests that all visitors to Port Jefferson abide by the code and remind the motorcyclists that they are permitted to park two per spot and that the 1/2 parking time restraint is being enforced on Main Street to motorist and motorcyclists alike.  Parking lots are available around the village for long-term parking.  Some of these lots are available free of charge.  Brookhaven residents may park free of charge in the Brookhaven Town parking lot, located across from Village Hall.

Mayor Garant has spoken out against the flyer and plans to attend the BID meeting tonight to express her concern with the BID and with what appears to be a direct breakdown in communication between BID members and procedure, resulting in this controversial flyer.

The Village apologizes for the inconvenience and insult that this unofficial posting has caused.

• April 7, 2010 4:52 AM PDT
    We can hope they take care of it before it turns more ugly, there's enough places Bikers ain't welcome already without adding another to the long list.
  • April 7, 2010 5:02 AM PDT
    I've been watching this and I'll throw my $.02 in. I don't know if what the Mayor, President of the BID is true about one person speaking for the whole group. I wasn't there so I don't know for a fact. No matter what happened, I think that the city found their ass in a crack when this got to the world and now they are "crawfishing" to try and keep a lot of revenue from going in the crapper. Whatever the truth is, I am glad that it is getting rectified. Fine job Defcon for dropping the proverbial hammer on their ass. Especially since it was done in a manner that they didn't really feel the full force of the blow.
  • April 8, 2010 12:54 AM PDT
    "I think that the city found their ass in a crack when this got to the world and now they are "crawfishing" to try and keep a lot of revenue from going in the crapper"

My original thought exactly, politics.
  • April 8, 2010 12:26 PM PDT
    Just went to www.portjeff.com to see how the bid meeting went....Looks like the Mayor and Bid President had a full house at the meeting with Unsightly Bikers in attendance,  Over 100 and other Business owners. Posting another letter of position...The Village has been noticed.. The poster was a business owner , George Wallis, States he has enough money and he don't need unsightly Bikers!!.....  Other Businesses owned by george was listed unofficially offlimits... 
  • April 9, 2010 12:11 AM PDT
    The photos speak for themself.
  • April 9, 2010 12:19 AM PDT
    Well, I hope Mr. Wallis has enough to live out his life. That kind of arrogance deserves being shunned. PLEASE, everyone in the Port Jefferson area, let's show this guy where he got all his money and remove the source of his arrogance.
    • 21 posts
    April 9, 2010 12:24 AM PDT
    i lifted this from a link on the port jeff site - fuzzygalore.com
    I think that it is important for all motorcyclists to avoid spending money in George Wallis’ establishments. Mr. Wallis doesn’t “need” it, but there are plenty of other motorcyclist-friendly places in town that do.

Motorcycle Un-Friendly Businesses:

The Steamroom
    The Frigate – Candy and Ice cream
    Fish & Co.
    The Martha Jefferson