Nine riders, eight bikes ran over by a truck in Arizona, 3 dead.

• March 26, 2010 3:04 PM PDT
    According to an Arizona ABATE message I received today, unless the driver is proven to have been impaired (apparently not the case) it is likely to be a citation for 'excessive speed' for the conditions, given that there was a "pedestrian, vehicle or other obstacle" (i.e., hazard) that the driver failed to adjust speed for. I'm sorry I can't quote the actual statute--it was in the e-mail, but it made me so damn mad, I deleted it. Imagine the Fire Captain, after 27 years risking his life to save other people, and now fighting for his own because he dared to enjoy a day off and someone wasn't paying attention...Be careful out there!
  • March 26, 2010 3:10 PM PDT
    inattentive driving,and 3 counts of manslaughter should get his attention now.
    • 1 posts
    March 26, 2010 3:19 PM PDT
    There is a case in Illinois that is going to trial for six counts of felony reckless homicide.....distracted driving.
    http://blacknailbrigade.org/
    • 6 posts
    March 26, 2010 3:26 PM PDT
    Cathy wrote...
    There is a case in Illinois that is going to trial for six counts of felony reckless homicide.....distracted driving.
    http://blacknailbrigade.org/
    I hope it works, people need to learn that there's consequences for their actions.
  • March 26, 2010 3:39 PM PDT
    No matter what punishment the driver gets for his stupidity and carelessness, it'll never be enough to account for what he did. He murdered 3 people and destroyed countless lives with his neglience.

Let's just hope and pray that the 6 that are still fighting will win their fights.
  • March 26, 2010 4:04 PM PDT
    my prays and my heart goes out to the families of this horific accident. keep yours pealed and your wits with you all. ride safe
  • March 26, 2010 10:03 PM PDT
    This was one of the stories I wish I hadn't seen. I read that the driver had 2 different speeding tickets just this March. This was no accident and was completely avoidable!
  • March 27, 2010 4:00 AM PDT
    Hawk6351 wrote...
    I will never understand how a person can be so incredibly stupid and irresponsible. I just want to scream right now. If I had actually been there and seen that happen, I honestly don't know what I would have done, but there's a pretty good chance that driver wouldn't have been walking away. Sorry, I know that's not the "Christian" sentiment I should be sharing, but this stuff just makes me so angry. Tears and prayers go out to the families.... Guys, keep praying, too, the other 6 riders are still in critical/serious condition; they need us and our prayers too!

Hawk -     This all makes for a horrible sense of loss, a dull aching pain.  I have a feeling that you would have been focused on helping the injured, but I know what you mean about wanting to take it out on someone who made a choice to not take driving seriously enough to avoid catastrophe.  Yes, it makes me sick.  It would not be difficult to incorporate more criteria in safety education before drivers are issued licenses.  Most safety is common sense.  There is no excuse for someone who has a CDL.  We drive heavier machinery that simply cannot stop on a dime, a space cushion is always mandatory for safety.  This guy should have been trained more and received refresher safety classes.  All trucking and bus companies should be mandated to constantly review safety standards and the skills of their employees.  Yes, I want to scream too.  Still praying for these families.
  • March 27, 2010 5:04 AM PDT
    How tragic ~ a fourth death has occurred as a result of the driver's carelessness and reckless abandon ~ Prayers for all families and friends ~ we all mourn your loss.

<http://www.abc15.com/content/news/phoenixmetro/north/story/PD-4th-person-dies-after-HUGE-wreck-on-Carefree/VwL7ONcC50ut3E2abcC4Qg.cspx>
    • 1040 posts
    March 27, 2010 5:11 AM PDT
    I'd take that Mutha F****n trucker to the next Az bike rally, tie him to a post in the middle of the crowd with a sign stateing what he had done and let all the brothers and sisters have their way with the c***sucker...But hey, that's just me

My thoughts to the victims families

edited for language but the sentiment is definitely agreed with!
  • March 27, 2010 5:43 AM PDT
    Blackpearl wrote...
    How tragic ~ a fourth death has occurred as a result of the driver's carelessness and reckless abandon ~ Prayers for all families and friends ~ we all mourn your loss.

Oh I am so deeply saddened for this heartache.  What can WE do?  ...to really make a difference...  not so these tragedies just simply fade to memory with the passing of time...to honor those souls who have fallen victim.  We have such strong emotions when we know of such horror.  I don't know where to start making a difference, but I am willing to get started somehow...
  • March 28, 2010 1:57 AM PDT

Thank's for the update, "On Friday,  the accident is still under investigation and that it will be some time before detectives determine what charges or citations may be filed."..........

I can't find anything that says the Truck Driver did this intentional or hated Bikers. I imagine he feels pretty bad and will never get over it.
    I'm going with equipment failure on this one, county expense cut-backs, laid off drivers, mechanics, maintenance personal, increased loads and hours to save money.

If the driver was drunk or doing drugs that would have surfaced well before now, was nothing but a tragic accident unless we learn his wife was on back of one of the bikes while he was at work paying off her credit card debt.

Have I missed something here?
    • 1066 posts
    March 28, 2010 2:36 AM PDT
    Yes, i think you did miss something!!!!!! Did you not get the part where he has -2- speeding charges pending for this month alone? Two speeding charges in one month is not an accident, it's KID STUFF, the guy is not a kid.
  • March 28, 2010 2:59 AM PDT
    Hollywood wrote...
    Yes, i think you did miss something!!!!!! Did you not get the part where he has -2- speeding charges pending for this month alone? Two speeding charges in one month is not an accident, it's KID STUFF, the guy is not a kid.

Show me where it says he got those tickets driving the trash truck, maybe he has a motorcycle and got busted for speeding on his Harley.
    Now here we have the waitress saying the Bikers had been drinking beer and partying at her place right before they left and got run over. Now we have a story with bikers driving intoxicated leaving a bar, then being in a tragic accident with a sober man just working for a living driving a county owned vehicle working by the hour.........
    www.abc15.com/mediacenter/local.aspx />

In 2009, while driving a Blue Sky Sanitation truck, Jakscht was cited for not having a fire extinguisher, no pre-trip inspection and failure to inspect emergency equipment.

That case was dismissed by the Scottsdale City Attorney because their office felt there was not a reasonable likelihood of conviction.

• March 28, 2010 3:13 AM PDT
    drunk bikers or not .. 8 bikes wouldnt have been hit at once reguardless of how much they had to drink tis carelessness on the truck driver,,, my prayers are with the families of the fallen
    • 910 posts
    March 28, 2010 3:18 AM PDT
    Flatlander wrote...

Thank's for the update, "On Friday,  the accident is still under investigation and that it will be some time before detectives determine what charges or citations may be filed."..........

I can't find anything that says the Truck Driver did this intentional or hated Bikers. I imagine he feels pretty bad and will never get over it.
    I'm going with equipment failure on this one, county expense cut-backs, laid off drivers, mechanics, maintenance personal, increased loads and hours to save money.

If the driver was drunk or doing drugs that would have surfaced well before now, was nothing but a tragic accident unless we learn his wife was on back of one of the bikes while he was at work paying off her credit card debt.

flatlander I can appreciate that you want to keep level headed about this. (although that wife comment isn't so) And some of what you're saying makes sense. But offering an 'out' of mechanical failure when it isn't even proven to be that is no better than accusing him of hating bikers when he might not have.

I say none of us jumps to conclusions but instead lets the actual evidence tell the story. The driver himself admits he was shuffling papers. He was traveling at a rate of speed too high for the traffic situation he was in. He was distracted. It was a tragic accident. But he was responsible and he needs to face the consequences of his actions. Whether or not, some or all of us deem them to be appropriate or fair. If any other evidence comes to light then we take that into account but for now it does appear to be a horrific accident that could have been prevented had he been looking at the road and not shuffling papers.

I have to admit I am not a very religious person (I have my reasons), but I know what I would have done at the scene, I would have rushed to the bikers because they needed that. Punishment for the driver will come. I guarantee he will be haunted by his careless act. Maybe out of all this sadness will come stiffer sentences, more proactive training, mechanical safety measures, and much needed awareness.... but it will never take away the loss that just happened.

All of us have been impacted by this news in some very emotional and spiritual ways.
    • 2072 posts
    March 28, 2010 3:23 AM PDT
    Just read on another forum that a female rider was just taken off life support. They said she was leading the group. Very sad situation.
    • 2072 posts
    March 28, 2010 3:25 AM PDT
    AdventureGirl wrote...
    Flatlander wrote...

flatlander I can appreciate that you want to keep level headed about this. (although that wife comment isn't so) And some of what you're saying makes sense. But offering an 'out' of mechanical failure when it isn't even proven to be that is no better than accusing him of hating bikers when he might not have.

I say none of us jumps to conclusions but instead lets the actual evidence tell the story. The driver himself admits he was shuffling papers. He was traveling at a rate of speed too high for the traffic situation he was in. He was distracted. It was a tragic accident. But he was responsible and he needs to face the consequences of his actions. Whether or not, some or all of us deem them to be appropriate or fair. If any other evidence comes to light then we take that into account but for now it does appear to be a horrific accident that could have been prevented had he been looking at the road and not shuffling papers.

I have to admit I am not a very religious person (I have my reasons), but I know what I would have done at the scene, I would have rushed to the bikers because they needed that. Punishment for the driver will come. I guarantee he will be haunted by his careless act. Maybe out of all this sadness will come stiffer sentences, more proactive training, mechanical safety measures, and much needed awareness.... but it will never take away the loss that just happened.

All of us have been impacted by this news in some very emotional and spiritual ways.

• 1040 posts
    March 28, 2010 3:28 AM PDT
    I don't know if the biker's were drunk or just a had a beer and weren't drunk; what is a fact is the bikers were sitting at a red light waiting for the light to turn when an asshole not paying attention but rather shuffeling with paperwork and other shit ran over these guys and if he had been paying attention he could have prevented it by swerving or blowing his horn or some attempt to prevent it. I also don't know if the truck driver had other recent speeding tickets or not and if he did it don't matter if he got them on a bicycle, motorcycle, or trash truck; he still ran over these guys and that is a fact. So, **** the truck driver, fry his sorry ******* ass for all I care!
    • 1 posts
    March 28, 2010 3:44 AM PDT
    fxrdude wrote...
    I don't know if the biker's were drunk or just a had a beer and weren't drunk; what is a fact is the bikers were sitting at a red light waiting for the light to turn when an asshole not paying attention but rather shuffeling with paperwork and other shit ran over these guys and if he had been paying attention he could have prevented it by swerving or blowing his horn or some attempt to prevent it. I also don't know if the truck driver had other recent speeding tickets or not and if he did it don't matter if he got them on a bicycle, motorcycle, or trash truck; he still ran over these guys and that is a fact. So, **** the truck driver, fry his sorry ******* ass for all I care!

Exactly!!!!     
    • 910 posts
    March 28, 2010 3:48 AM PDT
    Show me where it says he got those tickets driving the trash truck, maybe he has a motorcycle and got busted for speeding on his Harley.
    Now here we have the waitress saying the Bikers had been drinking beer and partying at her place right before they left and got run over. Now we have a story with bikers driving intoxicated leaving a bar, then being in a tragic accident with a sober man just working for a living driving a county owned vehicle working by the hour.........
    www.abc15.com/mediacenter/local.aspx />

In 2009, while driving a Blue Sky Sanitation truck, Jakscht was cited for not having a fire extinguisher, no pre-trip inspection and failure to inspect emergency equipment.

That case was dismissed by the Scottsdale City Attorney because their office felt there was not a reasonable likelihood of conviction.

a citation for "no pre-trip inspection and failure to inspect emergency equipment." seems to prove to me that he is habitually negligent whether or not Scottsdale felt they could convict him. This seems to establish a negative pattern of behavior toward his carelessness.

As far as that story of the bikers being intoxicated - You should watch the report again. I watched the clip from the link you provided and the reporter clearly stated they were drinking "TEA". But suppose for a minute he hadn't said that. Were there blood tests performed on all of the surviving bikers? Prove to me that was true and I will have a different conversation with you. BUT, even if that were to be found true, did they do anything to contribute to the truck driver running them over? From the reports I see they were waiting at a red light. Tell me how the fact that he was a working man and they were bikers (some of whom MIGHT have had a drink) makes this accident any less tragic?

In this specific instance, how do the actions of the vicitms before the accident make them being run over any more justifiable?
  • March 28, 2010 4:00 AM PDT
    Kind of makes your stomach turn when you hear about something like this and the riding season hasn't really even strated here .
  • March 28, 2010 4:36 AM PDT
    Traffic deaths turn my stomach enough, I been there and held brain matter together among other things in my lap more than once waiting for rescue, placing unjust blame on folks without having all the facts turns my stomach as well when a R.I.P. is all thats required.

The truck driver immediately went through hours of interrogation from professional homicide investigators at the scene of the accident and wasn't charged with anything. For the benefit of those here that have never been through that you are not qualified to comment about it.

I guarantee that driver feels ten times more horrible about what happened than anyone of you do. I'm glad someone thinks a group of bikers were at a bikers bar and grill and didn't have any beers, give me a break, the reporter has distorted what few facts are known to create drama. Like he gives a shit..........
  • March 28, 2010 4:53 AM PDT
    My prayers also. I lost 2 friends last yr, one on easter and another one 2mos after because of kids not paying attention AND in plain view both people got slap on wrist NO jail time!. It makes you sick and scared to think this could have been me or any one of my friends. Everyone ride safe and keep an eye out all around you when you are riding. drivers don't care!