bike security

• 601 posts
    February 23, 2010 6:35 AM PST
    I recently had my bike stolen, recovered thankfully and the thief is learning to walk again. I do not have a garage to park up in so my bike is always outside on the driveway. It was always chained to a ground anchor and had a disc lock on it as well. No problem to the thieves, they cut the chain and put the front wheel on a skateboard to push it away to a truck. The damage they did to the bike was ignition barrell and petrol cap when they used it later.

Now I have an Acumen alarm/immobiliser fitted, which should be more of a deterrent. I have also fitted a steel platform in my driveway which i ride the bike onto and therefore have a more secure anchor as its now secure behind a welded barrier.

I would just like to make a point on this issue.... Police told me that my bike was professionally stolen , most likely for a bank robbery. The one point he made which I think was important. " CHANGE YOUR ROUTINE ". Ride a different route as much as possible, stop at different filling stations, commute in and out a different route, enter your own area by a different road. Basically he said that all thieves thrive on routines, you may not prevent theft but you will make it that bit more difficult for them.

Anyone else have any ideas out there..without giving away sensitive stuff...................................NO HAMBONE...an M60 does not count as bike security.
  • February 23, 2010 6:45 AM PST
    What??? What did I say????

Check out the Biometric Fingerprint Alarm here: http://MidSouthBiometrics.com />
    They work with existing alarms and the encryption is unmatched in the industry.
    • 0 posts
    February 23, 2010 6:46 AM PST
    How about an inexpensive garden shed that you can lock and alarm?
    • 601 posts
    February 23, 2010 6:59 AM PST
    hambone wrote...
    What??? What did I say????

You said nothing....but I could read your mind before I had even finished the post !!!!!!!!!!!!

• February 23, 2010 7:03 AM PST
    Yeah I'm pretty easy to read when it comes to stuff like that. No grey area with me for sure. You're either a productive member of society, or you're a worthless piece of pond scum that deserves nothing less than a bullet in the head.

Yeah, pretty clear.
    • 352 posts
    February 23, 2010 7:15 AM PST
    I am kind of hoping the signs in my yard "forget the dog beware of the owner", "I am the NRA and I Vote" and the always clear "trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again" signs would be enough of a suggestion to leave mine alone.
  • February 23, 2010 7:22 AM PST
    Hey Bulldog, mine says "Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be VIOLATED!" Seems to raise eyebrows?
    • 601 posts
    February 23, 2010 7:25 AM PST
    I'm serious here guys....I do not want anyone to have to go thru the crap I went thru last month,
    • 2072 posts
    February 23, 2010 7:28 AM PST
    hambone wrote...
    Yeah I'm pretty easy to read when it comes to stuff like that. No grey area with me for sure. You're either a productive member of society, or you're a worthless piece of pond scum that deserves nothing less than a bullet in the head.

Yeah, pretty clear.

So hambone................. how do you REALLY feel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!         

• 2072 posts
    February 23, 2010 7:30 AM PST
    I have a Gorilla alarm system, disk lock. Gorilla chain and lock, HUGE flood lights a 12 ga. shotgun and a Pit Bull with a bad attitude..................................... ANY QUESTIONS ???????????
  • February 23, 2010 7:40 AM PST
    I dont have any alarm systems on my bikes but they are both one of a kind and would be hard to sale and very easy to spot
    • 19034 posts
    February 23, 2010 7:41 AM PST
    Rory that really sucks! Seriously if your bike is visible it is always possible that some idiot will try to take it.

A good loud alarm, a good strong cable (not chain) attached to an eyebolt anchored to something immobile,  security lights and cameras  all will deter.
    If not cabled to something immobile
    2 theives + 2 skate boards = bike gone on 30 seconds.
    Nothing is absolute short of sitting with it holding a sawed off 12 gauge. "tis a sad commentary on human kind.

• 601 posts
    February 23, 2010 7:55 AM PST
    I just liked the idea of changing routines....I ride a high power CBR1000, dyna-jetted and gas flowed, this thing will do 180mph, so its probably a target for a specific purpose, maybe they spot you on Monday...if you follow a different route on Tues, Weds they may just get fed up looking for you. The way my bike is secured now i would give them a medal if they stole it. Cops said cable is always better than chain, so your right there Rex,but more ideas or advice the better for other users of this site. as for guard dogs.....nah, I think I may hire Hambone, now thats a deterrent!
    • 2 posts
    February 23, 2010 8:13 AM PST
    Told by a City wise New Yorker to always use a cover & lock the cover, however 1/2 assed - If they have to defeat a lock or slice a cover to see what they are stealing it slows them down. - I take a Wally-World tarp & a cheap bike lock w/ me all the time.
    If they are actually looking to steal your ride & know where you live & you are not always there - Lots of cables and anchor bolts (weld the eyes closed) set in concrete I guess
  • February 23, 2010 9:26 AM PST
    Just make sure your alarm includes more than the lights flashing and disabling the ignition...not going to stop them. A good alarm would be one of the type that sends you a message if your bike is tampered with. I have seen the type that have a beeper on a key fob.
    • 601 posts
    February 23, 2010 10:11 AM PST
    Jump wrote...
    Just make sure your alarm includes more than the lights flashing and disabling the ignition...not going to stop them. A good alarm would be one of the type that sends you a message if your bike is tampered with. I have seen the type that have a beeper on a key fob.

This one will actually send a signal to my house phone and ring it (within 100 yds) but it also cuts fuel as well as ignition, it would ring my cell phone too.....but i dont have one!

• 1509 posts
    February 23, 2010 10:31 AM PST
    Reallity: If a crudball wants your stuff it is his, Insure the hell out of it. or make it easy for them to get cought. Camera's even fakeones repell assholes, lighting and signage deter morons, and all the stuff previously mentioned help. crudballs will be crudballs. and that is why 12ga 31/2 magnum 00buck and a hair trigger and only one story to be told works best!!!!!!!!!
    • 601 posts
    February 23, 2010 10:40 AM PST
    Thats Ok for you man.....but guns are illegal in Ireland. But your right, if they want it they will probably get it
    • 6 posts
    February 23, 2010 10:42 AM PST
    I know someone who tack-welded razor blades all the way around the insides of the hubcaps on his car; he lived in a really bad area and wheels and caps were always getting stolen off his car. I'm not real sure how to go about rigging something like that on a bike, but boy did it work for his car! He came out one morning to find all four wheels covered in blood, and no one ever touched his car again! My dad also had a motorhome that would electrocute you if you grabbed the metal doorhandle. I kinda like that direction... YYYOOOWWWW!!!! "hey, somebody's messin with the bike, I just heard a scream!" lol
    • 190 posts
    February 23, 2010 11:11 AM PST
    I actually had a beautiful green paintjob on my bike but chose to down play the attractiveness of the bike's appearance and opted for a pretty ugly bare black hopin it would just blend in with the other bikes at the rallies. I have a garage and a pretty nice neighborhood in Whitestone,NY but still maybe i can offer some useless opinions...
    1) Try findin a neighborhood old lady with a houseful of cats...see if she has a garage she can rent you space for a few dollars a month...
    2) Always use an plain ol ugly ratty bike cover with a cheaper make on it, or better yet just plain simple and unattractively dirty.
    3) Layers of prevention....like TWO disc locks plus a chain plus a motion sensor etc...you get the idea....too much work to take your ride he'll move to another one...
    4) FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE,,,,start scopin your next ride.....!!!

I guess the real value of a bike is the engine so i'll take the bite and not care so much or put alot of $$ into the external appearance just in order to not draw attention to it. Its really ****** up that this is the world we live in. I,myself, have come to terms that if some scumbag wants to steal your shit in the dead of night theres nothin that we can really do short of killin the lil puke ******......
    But i would sriously consider scoutin the neighborhood for residents with extra garage space to rent....Im sure you can find one....good luck, let me know how it turns out...
  • February 23, 2010 11:29 AM PST
    Find one of the local dirtbags and beat his ass down. Let folks know he messed with your sled.Tell him you will be back if it get touched. Doesn't matter if he did it or not, he deserved the beat down. Like has been said, a cover, an alarm and a disc lock is about all you can do. If they want it, they are gonna get it. The trick is making it not worth all the trouble of getting it.
    • 19034 posts
    February 23, 2010 11:45 AM PST
    I have been thinking of a silent lo-jac also.. Don't know if that is available in Ireland.

HOW ABOUT A BOUNCING BETTY???
  • February 23, 2010 8:36 PM PST
    I heard of a biker here in Australia that went for a ride to the big smoke. Locked his HD to a telegraph pole with a chain through the back wheel. He came back and sure enough the chain wasn't cut but all that was left was the back wheel and the chain around the pole.
    If those aft holes want the bike they'll get it. Insure the thing for more than its worth.
    I like guns/rifles and anything else that makes pain. But remember those AFT holes are just as likely to be carring weapons too. It down right stinks that anyones pride and joy can be damaged  just because it can not be stolen.That is what goes on here in Australia.
    I'll defend my possession till the end.
  • February 23, 2010 9:45 PM PST
    An advanced motion sensor hooked to a number of different things can deter theft before they actually get close to a bike if you have the place and imagination.
    • 352 posts
    February 23, 2010 11:24 PM PST
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    I have been thinking of a silent lo-jac also.. Don't know if that is available in Ireland.

HOW ABOUT A BOUNCING BETTY???

Bouncing Betty would do the trick....they can do DNA test afterward to find out who it was. ( looks like we think alike Rex)

Lo-jac is always talked about, but if you go that route be sure of 2 things:
    1: get the model that has the independent battery - low lifes like to cut battery cables when they steal them to defeat security
    2: be sure to get it installed in an "odd" location on the bike - if you put it on the "standard" locations they manage to fall off the bike quickly when they look for them. (a good lo-jac dealer will also suggest this)

Bottom line is if they want it, they will get it - insure it and give the impression of being crazy is probably your best bet. Mine is insured and I AM crazy so I should be ok.