The Winter Olympics 2010

• 277 posts
    February 18, 2010 4:50 AM PST
    I remember not getting any sleep watching the Winter Olympics the last time!  This time around is no different.  I am glued to the TV.

It's wonderful to watch these young (and some old) athletes put their all out there.

I do wonder who thought of some of the events, for example, the Biathlon.  You shoot a rifle and then cross-country ski?  WOW!

My favorites are Curling (hilarious!), Speed Skating and Snowboarding. 

What are you watching?
    • 2072 posts
    February 18, 2010 4:54 AM PST
    CURLING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!               
    • 277 posts
    February 18, 2010 4:55 AM PST
    BlvdCruiser wrote...
    CURLING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!               

Lucky wants to start a Curling Team.  There is no age limit....

• February 18, 2010 5:06 AM PST
    You may have to check on the number of people allowed on the ice....1 slider 2brooms and 3or 4 lifters to get the sliders up off of the ice. Don't know how often I could get that low and back up ON ICE Specially after the Anti-freeze beverages...
    • 277 posts
    February 18, 2010 5:15 AM PST
    CURLING:  Two teams of four players take turns sliding heavy, polished granite stones down the ice towards the house (a circular target marked on the ice). The purpose is to complete each end (delivery of 16 stones) with the team's stones closer to the centre of the house than the other team's. Two sweepers with brooms or brushes accompany each stone and use stopwatches and their best judgment, along with direction from their teammates, to help direct the stones to their resting place.

The relaxed, turn-based progression of the game have led some to compare curling to chess and baseball.
    CHESS?  BASEBALL?  REALLY?

• February 18, 2010 5:19 AM PST
    The Curling has had me chuckling today, I've never watched it before...
    Fun stuff, love Winter Olympics!
    • 2072 posts
    February 18, 2010 5:40 AM PST
    Had an exciting game the other day on the Wii..................... OH BOY !!!! That was ALMOST as much fun as watching grass grow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • February 18, 2010 6:02 AM PST
    Speed skating,down hill,snow boarding....good stuff! Some crazy big crashes for the women on the down hill!
  • February 18, 2010 6:12 AM PST
    half pike! awsome
    • 19043 posts
    February 18, 2010 8:44 AM PST
    All skiing/snowboard events especially downhill.

Go Lindsey !!!
    • 16 posts
    February 18, 2010 8:56 AM PST
    All except the men's figure skating. Is it just me, or has it gotten way too gay this year...
    • 5420 posts
    February 18, 2010 8:58 AM PST
    My favorites are...Alpine Skiing, Speed Skating, Snowboard (1/2 pipe), Snowboard Cross Racing, Hockey, and Ski Jumping (both distance and freestyle).  And for some reason I have become USA's number one Curling Fan...I can't believe I was actually glued to the TV yesterday to watch the match between USA and Sweeden.  But I think I have the strategy down now.  Just need 3 team mates and I'm ready to start training for 2014!!!

How 'bout the Hockey team just a bit ago...5 to 1 over Norway.  I know its Norway, but we're one step closer to the power-houses now!
    • 212 posts
    February 18, 2010 1:07 PM PST
    Snowboarding and downhill skiing. Curling...looks alot like shuffleboard on ice with really big pieces and no liquor!LOL
  • February 18, 2010 3:01 PM PST
    Yep. I been glued to it as well, only part that bores me is the figure skating
  • February 18, 2010 3:31 PM PST
    I love the Hockey Go USA
    But yes curling just amazes me how the make the stones move
    • 5420 posts
    February 19, 2010 2:21 AM PST
    'bout time we went into the Winter Olympics totally prepared to kick some a$$

Gold Silver Bronze Total
    1.    United States  5  18 
    2.    Germany  11 
    3.    Norway 

• 601 posts
    February 19, 2010 7:23 AM PST
    The shooting/skiing started in Finland in their army...the curling was invented in Scotland, the menfolk were always out fighting the English so their women had to do something to keep themselves amused. We never bothered with either in Ireland, we had no snow to ski on and our women were out fighting the English with us.
  • February 19, 2010 7:38 AM PST
    The history of the sports is so interesting to me, but I was an English Lit major. It is also quite stunning how many new events have become included in the Olympics. What once were only X-games (which I love, love, love extreme sports!) have become mainstream. It's pretty cool to be a part of the evolution!
    • 1040 posts
    February 19, 2010 7:42 AM PST
    DamnYankeeNC wrote...
    All except the men's figure skating. Is it just me, or has it gotten way too gay this year...

I enjoy watching the ladies and also the the pairs; except, when watching the pairs I tune out the dudes...You know, sorta like looking at the pic of Rex and sidetrack 

Curling is cool too
    • 19043 posts
    February 19, 2010 7:49 AM PST
    fxrdude wrote...
    DamnYankeeNC wrote...

I enjoy watching the ladies and also the the pairs; except, when watching the pairs I tune out the dudes...You know, sorta like looking at the pic of Rex and sidetrack 

Curling is cool too

AW  DUDE!  you hurt my feelin's

• 1040 posts
    February 19, 2010 7:52 AM PST
    Your a tuff guy bro...You can handle tha truth...LOL
    • 19043 posts
    February 19, 2010 8:18 AM PST
    Thanks Dude, I knew it was a joke. Yeah I am tough, that is what happens when ya get old.
    • 2072 posts
    February 19, 2010 10:54 AM PST
    The history of the sports is so interesting to me, but I was an English Lit major. It is also quite stunning how many new events have become included in the Olympics. What once were only X-games (which I love, love, love extreme sports!) have become mainstream. It's pretty cool to be a part of the evolution!

We have to evolve more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Damn, I just got used to walking upright !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!      

• 5420 posts
    February 23, 2010 11:00 AM PST

Just continuing to kick some butt!!!

Gold Silver Bronze Total
    1.    United States  10  26 
    2.    Germany  23 
    3.    Norway  17 

I know it looks close, but when you consider how we normally do against these teams in the Winter Games, we ARE kicking Butt!

• 2 posts
    February 23, 2010 1:07 PM PST
    Like the winter Olympics because most of the athletes can
    1. Just say "the hell with it & push off" - watching the ski jumping last night - those people must have that feeling every time. - One summer before liability laws are what the are now I walked out on a ski jump & could not imagine skiing down it
    2. Get themselves "in the groove" - On the downhill events watching the rhythm they move between the poles w/
    Also like them because, hockey excepted, they are about the only time I can cheer the athlete not the nation