Easy Boy Lite Clutch for Harley Davidson

• 51 posts
    June 8, 2009 9:54 AM PDT
    Has anyone here installed the Easy Boy Lite Clutch by White Brothers on a Road Glide or other HD big v-twin.  I am starting to get a little arthritis in my hands and looking for a way to easy the pressure on my clutch hand.  I have seen this Easy Boy Lite Clutch product by White Bros., and of course the people that sell it say it works great, but I wanted to hear from someone that is actually using it.

So if you have one, I have two questions for you...

Is it easy to install?

Does it really lighten up the clutch?

My other option was to go with a hydrolic clutch...any input on that would also be appreciated.

This is the sales pitch from the manufacturer...

"White Bros. claims that the ‘Easyboy’ Lite Clutch reduces the manual effort required to pull the clutch lever by 40%, which lessens rider fatigue and provides smoother, easier clutch action. Ideal for women riders, or those of us who constantly find themselves caught in stop-and-go traffic. The Lite Clutch fits inside of the primary cover on Sportster® models, and the transmission cover on Big Twins. It extends the clutch operating mechanism for improved leverage and still disengages the clutch completely. The Lite Clutch may be installed in under 30 minutes and comes complete with instructions. "
    • 19043 posts
    June 8, 2009 11:01 AM PDT
    I have Harley's version. I installed it and would say it is medium difficulty. The big pain on my Road King is the pipes have to come off in order to remove the clutch lever access. I did several things at once to lessen the work. Clutch lever, new true duals and a stainless braided clutch cable. It really does make it much easier to squeeze and hold. I also have the geezer aliment. I have heard some bad things about the hydralic clutch though. I hear the grab point is tough to get a feel for and many stalls are inevitable. I have no personal knowedge of this though.
    • 844 posts
    June 8, 2009 5:57 PM PDT
    I had one on my old Road King, worked great - make the clutch so much easier to pull. Can't tell you about the install, because it came with the bike.
  • June 8, 2009 6:12 PM PDT
    I instaled a E-Z PULL CLUTCH ASSIST from - V-TWIN. It is made for 87-99 big twins however wthh just a little grinding on the backside of the lever you can use it in a later model. I have a 03 classic and it cut the presure in half. They are very cheap and fairly easy to install if you can read directions ok. They are basicly the same as the one you asked about but cheaper.
    Randie
    www.primalleathers.com
    • 5420 posts
    June 9, 2009 3:47 AM PDT
    Steve, I put the White Bros Easy Boy Clutch Kit on my last Road King (2002) and it was great. When I finished and grabbed the clutch handle for the first time, it was so easy to pull in I actually though I forgot to hookup the lower end of the cable.

Installation was fairly easy also. As Mike said above regarding the Harley-Davidson version...if you can read the instructions, you should have no problem. The most time consuming part is removing the exhaust to gain access. I see you have a 2006 Road Glide so it should be no problem. I read that it is not compatible with '07 and above, but haven't confirmed that with the shop.
  • June 9, 2009 1:27 PM PDT
      I agree, the Easy Boy clutch adapter was one of the best investments I made.  And if I remember correctly, it was under $50!
    • 1 posts
    June 10, 2009 8:05 AM PDT
    The easy clutch kit made by Harley is actually much better designed than the Easy Boy Lite Clutch by White Brothers.  It is now standard on all Harley big v-twins and I believe it has been since '06.  So Steve you should already have it stock on your 2006 RoadGlide. 

If your clutch has been getting more difficult over time, you may want to check out this article on how to maintain and lubricate your clutch cable... http://www.cyclefish.com/forum/The-Garage/General/Maintaining-Your-Clutch-Cable-7-1.html />
    If that does not get it to where you want it, you may want to consider changing the clutch cable to a higher quality cable.  some of the good after market clutch cables have less friction than the stock cables.
  • February 21, 2013 10:45 AM PST
    steve wrote...
    Has anyone here installed the Easy Boy Lite Clutch by White Brothers on a Road Glide or other HD big v-twin.  I am starting to get a little arthritis in my hands and looking for a way to easy the pressure on my clutch hand.  I have seen this Easy Boy Lite Clutch product by White Bros., and of course the people that sell it say it works great, but I wanted to hear from someone that is actually using it.

So if you have one, I have two questions for you...

Is it easy to install?

Does it really lighten up the clutch?

My other option was to go with a hydrolic clutch...any input on that would also be appreciated.

This is the sales pitch from the manufacturer...

"White Bros. claims that the ‘Easyboy’ Lite Clutch reduces the manual effort required to pull the clutch lever by 40%, which lessens rider fatigue and provides smoother, easier clutch action. Ideal for women riders, or those of us who constantly find themselves caught in stop-and-go traffic. The Lite Clutch fits inside of the primary cover on Sportster® models, and the transmission cover on Big Twins. It extends the clutch operating mechanism for improved leverage and still disengages the clutch completely. The Lite Clutch may be installed in under 30 minutes and comes complete with instructions. "

I've just had an easy clutch installed on my 2005 Road King. Fantastic and reduced effort by at least 50%
  • April 20, 2013 4:26 PM PDT
    I had one on once. I took it off because, although it did lighten the pressure a little bit, I thought it affected the quality of the shift some. Personally, I thought that the addition of a Barnett Teflon lined clutch cable lightened up the clutch pull even more than the Easy Boy Lite Clutch. Just my 2 cents.
    • 2 posts
    April 22, 2013 4:11 PM PDT
    I installed one on my '88 tour glide and it works well, however that does not mean it will work as well on later models as the mechanism has been changed to make the clutch easier to use out of the factory.

Let me ask you a question: Do you do your own clutch adjustments (at the clutch pack) or does a shop do it?

The reason I ask is because there is a fair amount of adjustment that can be made from there and technicians usually adjust the clutch to the tightest side of the spec to err on the side of caution but you can get a softer clutch by going towards the looser side of the spec.