Planning On Riding the Alaskan Hwy

• February 27, 2009 2:10 AM PST

My wife and I are planning on riding the Alaskan hwy this summer with another couple.  Looking for someone who has done this to get some tips.

Either reply here or send me a PM.

• 5420 posts
    March 4, 2009 7:36 AM PST

Sounds like a great time. I have wanted to do that forever, but everytime I bring it up wife the wife or my riding buddies they look at me like I'm crazy.

Not sure how many tips you will get. I think its a very elite group who has done that ride.

• g
    March 12, 2009 2:52 AM PDT
    where ,?is that up north ,if so is it not verry cold ?
  • March 18, 2009 7:48 AM PDT
    Friends of mine went up there last year outta Pa. The territories they said were beautiful. Lotta woods and lotta moose and critters. They said the roads after you get so far north turn into dirt and stone. They where gone for two weeks and he never washed his bike. When they came back the dirt on his steed looked like concrete and was hard to get off. They said it's a once in a life time journey to take. The weather's not bad until it rains. It cools down up there pretty quickly. Gas stations are scarese at best. You may want to take a can for good measure.
    • 277 posts
    March 27, 2012 9:11 AM PDT
    So has anyone else taken this trip on a bike? Maybe Mike (Rex the Road Dog) should try it!
    • 0 posts
    March 27, 2012 12:07 PM PDT
    I have not done the entire thing. Only the lower half. We went up the Cassiar hwy into the Yukon and turned south from there. Just be prepared and you will have fun. Don't try to go outside the Memorial day to Labor day time frame as everything opens and closes at those two holidays. Be prepared for ANY kind of weather and you will be fine. We went from 108 degree's to 34 degree's in two days of travel. remember to stop AFTER any animals you want to photograph as when a bear is coming at you, you don't want to have to do a U-turn in the middle of a two lane road.

It is a great trip. Have fun.
    • 81 posts
    March 27, 2012 12:45 PM PDT
    Done the trip twice in a car.(up to Fairbanks and back a couple of years later.) Would love to do it on a bike someday.