Best Seat for Harley RoadKing

• May 13, 2009 10:06 AM PDT
    I have been looking at a bunch of different motorcycle seats for my Road King.  There are just so many choices and I guess what my biggest decision is, is whether to get a firm seat or really soft.  I see the big motorcycle seat manufacturers like Corbin, Mustang, and even the Harley Davidson seats come in two very distinct versions.  Either really tight leather with minimum cushion or really soft padded seats.  I have read that although a cushy seat feels really good when you first sit on it, it is not really that comfortable on a long ride, and can even be bad for your back.  I have also seen the latest motorcycle seats with gel inserts and companies that will install gel pads in your current motorcycle seat.

I know ultimately it is going to come down to which seat feels the best to me and of course looks the best on the Road King, but I was just curious if anyone had any opinions on which is the best style of seat to go with for long distance riding.
    • 19040 posts
    May 13, 2009 12:21 PM PDT
    Hey HwyLvr,
    A couple things to think about, If you are vertically challenged, as I am, be sure the seat doesn’t bring you to much higher. Also, the front of the seat where it touches the dash, some seats are wider there. That forces your legs wider taking away some ability to move the bike around when you have to push it with your feet.  If you have long legs this is no concern.
    I put a Mustang with a removable geezer back rest on four years ago and it was the best thing I put on the bike. I have many times spent 12 plus hours on that seat and never felt sore or tired. It is a little firmer than the stock unit and about ½ inch lower. Plus it is almost an inch narrower in the front. You look young enough not to need a back rest but if you have any kind of back trouble that rest is a must. When I replace my seat I am thinking of having it re-upholstered and made even narrower in the front and possibly some gel padding. A friend of mine had his Nightster seat done and I can get the name of the guy who did it for you.  You ship your seat to him with a form filled out for your requirements and he does the rest. My friend was extremely satisfied.
    • 5420 posts
    May 13, 2009 12:22 PM PDT
    HwyLvr,

I have the Harley Pillow-Look seat on my RoadKing, and love it.  I have had it for a few years and about 80,000 miles on two different RoadKings.  It has a removable rider backrest ,and can be used with any of the detachable passenger backrests.  It is very cushy and feels good when you first get on, and after a 700 mile day.  I have a bad back and have never had any issues because of this seat.  You can get it at your local Harley-Davidson dealer or online at Harley-Davison.com.

Like you said though it is really a personal preferrence.  I ride with a buddy on very long rides and he has the Corbin seat and just loves it.

You can see the back of it here.  The rider seat is a nice bucket shape that works right up into the backrest.

• 19040 posts
    May 14, 2009 3:08 AM PDT
    AND nice seat cover also!!!!!!     oops, sorry I had to say that!  Pavlovian response!
    • 834 posts
    May 14, 2009 4:24 AM PDT
    I have a seat from Saddleman on my FatBoy and love it.  It is a quality seat with middle of the line cushion.  It feels really nice and soft but doesn't look like a couch mounted on the bike.

http://www.saddlemen.com/store/ />
    • 5420 posts
    May 14, 2009 5:09 PM PDT
    AzR,

I was actually looking at those a while back. Do you have the gel pad in your seat?
  • May 15, 2009 4:17 AM PDT
    Wish I had the option to put a comfortable seat on my bike. I love sport bikes but they can literally be a pain in the ass.
    • 46 posts
    May 15, 2009 4:10 PM PDT
    I have the Harley heated seat and really like it. It has just the right padding, plus it keeps my buns toasty in the cold weather.
  • June 8, 2009 2:24 AM PDT
    i have a mustang seat with the back rest really comfortable
    • 834 posts
    June 8, 2009 8:02 AM PDT
    Sorry Lucky, didn't see your question until this topic popped back up.

No I don't have the gel pad in my Saddleman seat, but it is real comfortable the way it is.
  • June 8, 2009 10:38 AM PDT
    Got a LaPera on my Road King. Firmer than the stock HD, much lower than the stock HD (I'm vertically challange too, and it has a bit of a back rest built into the design so no need for the detatch back rest.
  • June 8, 2009 10:39 AM PDT
    Oh.....got about 80K miles on it also and it's still holding strong.
    • 1 posts
    June 18, 2009 3:50 AM PDT
    Those LaPera motorcycle seats are great. As BikerCrap said they are a little firmer, but I find that give me less back trouble than the soft seat does. And they will last forever. I have about 60k on mine, but they are rough miles getting wet in the rain quite often and drying in the hot southern sun. Still looks and feels great.
  • July 31, 2009 6:43 AM PDT
    Thanks for all the feedback. After sitting on a few friends bikes with different seats and looking around, I decided to go with the Harley Pillow-Look seat that Lucky has on his Road King. Looks a little big on the bike but sure is comfortable. And my girlfriend loves the rider seat. I also added the medium height backrest for her.