Full Face VS Open Face Motorcycle Helmet

• 1 posts
    January 10, 2018 7:14 PM PST

I am considering to buy a new motorcycle helmet.
    I have heard multiple reasons why a full-face is worse than a open face helmet. Some of which are: You have limited visibility with the full-face.
    As for me, I have wrecked before and my head almost touched the ground while I used a open face helmet.So this time,I want to try Full Face Motorcycle Helmet.
    What do you think and any recommend?
    Any advise about this dot motorcycle helmet from hex auto parts? Not expensive but looks nice,just what I need.

https://www.hexautoparts.com/6-color-dot-motorcycle-helmets-dual-sport-flip-up-modular-motocross-full-face-helmet-for-sale-with-m-l-xl-size.html

Thanks in advance.

This post was edited by ryanstewart at January 10, 2018 7:27 PM PST
    • 1 posts
    January 10, 2018 8:29 PM PST

I use a modular for the highway and cold weather,  then I use a half helmet while riding around town when it gets hot......I am considering a 3/4 for mild weather...If I could only sport one, it'd be the Modular because I road trip...DOT's are safe, but the SNELL has a tighter test group...I'm gonna say go with what is comfy...I can use a closed Modular but freak the *&^%4 out with a full face...  Just depends.

• 5417 posts
    January 10, 2018 9:25 PM PST

[blockquote]ryanstewart said:

I am considering to buy a new motorcycle helmet.
    I have heard multiple reasons why a full-face is worse than a open face helmet. Some of which are: You have limited visibility with the full-face.
    As for me, I have wrecked before and my head almost touched the ground while I used a open face helmet.So this time,I want to try Full Face Motorcycle Helmet.
    What do you think and any recommend?
    Any advise about this dot motorcycle helmet from hex auto parts? Not expensive but looks nice,just what I need.

https://www.hexautoparts.com/6-color-dot-motorcycle-helmets-dual-sport-flip-up-modular-motocross-full-face-helmet-for-sale-with-m-l-xl-size.html

Thanks in advance.

[/blockquote]

I personally would NOT even consider this helemt or recommend it to ANYONE who is actually looking at a hemet for any type of protection.  This is a cheep piece of crap that most likely just barely passes the DOT standards. 

My son was wearing something very similar to this last spring when he had an accident at relativly slow speed.  The helmet shattered and he suffered severe head trauma.

If you were just buying it because it is required, then fine.  However you mentioned you desired protection and this is NOT it.  This is your head we are talking about here! 

This post was edited by Lucky at January 10, 2018 9:26 PM PST
    • 19004 posts
    January 11, 2018 6:56 AM PST

I saw this post before and kind of ignored it because I personally only wear a helmet when required, and HATE full face ones. After reading your post, Lucky, and remembering the accident your son had (and what your family went through) I followed the link for this helmet. WOW! a full face for under $40. Has to be CRAP. Ya can't even get a good (relatively) beanie helmet for that.

• 5417 posts
    January 12, 2018 1:14 PM PST

[blockquote]RexTheRoadDog said:

I saw this post before and kind of ignored it because I personally only wear a helmet when required, and HATE full face ones. After reading your post, Lucky, and remembering the accident your son had (and what your family went through) I followed the link for this helmet. WOW! a full face for under $40. Has to be CRAP. Ya can't even get a good (relatively) beanie helmet for that.

[/blockquote]

I too support the right to choose whether to wear a helmet or not.  A person would only buy a $39 helmet if they are only wearing it because it is required.  That is why this cracks me up...  anyone looking for a 3/4 or full-face helmet is most certainly doing so because they are wanting the most protection they can get which you are not goin to get for $39.  Hell people spend $200+ on a jacket to stay warm and only gonna pay $39 to protect their head... that has me scratching mine!

By the way Ryan... Please don't think we are picking on you in anyway.  You stated you were looking for a good helmet and we are just letting you know that is not it.

• 58 posts
    January 25, 2018 8:42 AM PST

I agree with both Lucky and Rex on this one.  I would also add that I would never buy a helmet mail order without first having tried it on in a store.  Helmets vary in size, construction materials and shape.  One model Shoei might fit well whereas another model (also Shoei) might not.  And when shopping for a new helmet, it is a good idea to wear that prospect for 30 - 45 minutes shopping around the store if possible.  This will give it time to settle in and any "hot spots" will show themselves.  As an example, My wife really liked a certain helmet.  When it came time for replacement, we just ordered a new one.  Well, in the 3-4 years since the original had been purchased the company had changed things and the new helmet no longer fits the same.  Now looking for "another" helmet for her (another $150 to $200).

This post was edited by RufCut at January 25, 2018 8:47 AM PST
    • 8 posts
    February 8, 2018 11:47 AM PST

I definitely would invest in a nice, sturdy helmet, as it is literally the only thing that's preventing you from sustaining a head injury in an event of a crash. I would do your research and go into the stores to have it fitted appropriately to your head. Here's an article I found that provides helmet recommendations and also explains the different things to look for when choosing one.

http://www.motorcyclelegalfoundation.com/the-safest-motorcycle-helmet-you-can-buy/

• 467 posts
    February 11, 2018 1:49 PM PST

Love my Zox modular full face! I am on my 3rd one. I replace all my helmets every 4-6 years depending on wear and use. Immediately if they have gone through an impact. Otherwise it's a bit like wearing a candy shell that looks good but cracks easily. Definitely try them on. cinch it all the way down and give your head a shake. They should wiggle just a bit, but that is all. I buy mine at J&P Cycles in Sturgis.

• 31 posts
    April 6, 2018 1:46 AM PDT

I went for the one that has the best noise rating .

• 8 posts
    April 9, 2018 1:18 AM PDT

I too would choose to buy a full face helmet for a full head protection. Better safe than sorry. 

• 2 posts
    April 24, 2018 9:15 AM PDT

I have a Harley Capstone modular helmet, and a low profile beanie style helmet. The capstone helmet is only a few weeks old and got it for the cooler days, and/or when I have my windshield off (the bike just looks so much better without it).

Honestly, I am to the point where I kinda like having it on. The overall feel of the ride with no windshield is awesome, nice and unrestricted. But it can get loud on the highway. This helmet eases some of that wind noise that gives me a head ache. 

I hear people talk about how it's such a nightmare to wear a full helmet. Maybe some people just don't have a good one, but I have no issues with it other than maybe getting a little hot in the warmer months. 

Another thing: Texting and driving has gotten out of control. It should be considered a plague. So with that, I want to be prepared for the worst.

• 9 posts
    July 4, 2018 8:37 AM PDT

These are the same helmets that Walmart sells.  Personally, I would not feel comfortable wearing a helmet this cheap, but I guess it would be better than nothing. 

I like to wear a fullface on long rides, and whenever I want a more comfortable ride in the cold, rain, and bugs. A fullface reduces the wind noise too.  I never felt like my vision was impaired by wearing a fullface.  

I was involved in an accident, where I slid facedown on the pavement.  My chin bar got scuffed-up. I was really glad I wore my fullface that day, instead of my shorty. 

This post was edited by psyclechic at July 4, 2018 8:38 AM PDT
    • 1855 posts
    July 5, 2018 2:00 PM PDT

Mine has the invisible retractable face shield.  It's not full face.  It covers just above the mouth. Roughly $150.00.  I like it because it's comfortable and the shield covers my glasses in the rain and doesn't fog up.  As for protection; I don't know how much protection it offers but I didn't get it for that reason.  Right to choose.

Doc

• 3 posts
    July 7, 2018 7:14 PM PDT
    Like many Harley riders, I wear a half helmet. I also have a 3/4 helmet I bought for rainy days, though I've yet to wear it. It never rains in SoCal and if it does, I don't ride. The half helmet is HD with a retractable sun shield and the 3/4 is an HJC with retractable faceshield. I find it's usually too hot to wear anything but the half helmet and though I've had a Nolan modular helmet, I couldn't get used to the narrow visibility.
    • 26 posts
    July 8, 2018 4:22 PM PDT

[blockquote]CaptStealth said: Like many Harley riders, I wear a half helmet. I also have a 3/4 helmet I bought for rainy days, though I've yet to wear it. It never rains in SoCal and if it does, I don't ride. The half helmet is HD with a retractable sun shield and the 3/4 is an HJC with retractable faceshield. I find it's usually too hot to wear anything but the half helmet and though I've had a Nolan modular helmet, I couldn't get used to the narrow visibility. [/blockquote]

Narrow visibility,and the extra sound protection,changes your natural sense of awareness.Although a full face offers more protection in an accident,i think it makes riding more dangerous.

• 42 posts
    July 18, 2018 11:15 PM PDT

I'll only ride w/ a Full Face helmet ... I make up for the limited visibility by staying alert and not zoning out while riding.

• 10 posts
    August 26, 2018 11:49 AM PDT

I wear molded ear plugs for long distance on the highway. I can hear my motor better, no more wind in the ears. 

I don't like helmets or windshields.

When I have to, I wear a half helmet.

www.bigearinc.com ; They mold them in your ear. I found them at a bike show.

This post was edited by panheadgeorge at August 26, 2018 4:56 PM PDT
    • 1 posts
    December 27, 2018 4:18 AM PST

Something to consider, if you live in a state that does not require a helmet but you choose to wear one why would you not buy a decent one? You don't have to wear one at all!!!! If you want the wind, the freedom, cooler, my choice, blah blah blah then don't wear one! If you're looking for protection come off a buck or two, as so many folks said in this forum thread a $40 brain bucket is NOT going to give you a heck of a lot of protection.

Thirty something years ago I lived in a 'helmet' state and wore a crusty old beanie style helmet. It was nice and cool and very lightweight but I never fooled myself into think it was any kind of protection. Had a couple good wrecks that included hospital time but fortunately those wrecks did not involve any head or face injury. Now, being older and wiser...OK older, I don't ride at all without a helmet. Had buddies who are quasi simpletons now as a result of head injuries sustained in a bike wreck. The 'at fault' part doesnt matter, they cant string together a coherent sentence now. I have a half helmet, a 3/4, and a full face (modular). What I wear depends on my mood and the weather. If it's really a money issue find one you like, try it on at a retailer and then find one of that model/brand in decent shape for a reasonable price on e-bay, Craigslist or wherever. My full face is a $650 Shoei Neo-Tec modular that I found on Craigs list for $250. It really is a personal choice but ought to involve at least a little bit of common sense.

• 3006 posts
    January 17, 2019 11:43 AM PST

Choose wisely when it comes to protecting yourself while riding.Don't skimp on the protection.Yet don't give up your right to choose either.

Some folk still enjoy riding without a helmet, I did it for many years.Yet when I rode in the dirt I always wore a helmet,after watching my older bro take a hard hit to the back of the head,after a bad dump/jump, with his 3/4 face helmet on that let him walk away shook up yet okay.The helmet was toast!

• 1 posts
    April 2, 2019 5:32 AM PDT

I often teach powersport safety classes. I tell them about my one accident where I high sided, landed on my chin first but had a full face helmet on. The chin was worn down flat with no damage to my head (broke my shoulder though). I close my class with: "How much is your head worth? Buy a helmet accordingly."

• 2685 posts
    April 4, 2019 7:49 AM PDT

Full Face all the way.

After being a paramedic for many years I've seen way too much.

Even 3/4 won't protect your face/jaw from hitting the ground or handlebars.

I don't preach but definately will give my opinion when asked.  8^)

Be safe you there.

• 22 posts
    April 22, 2019 5:04 AM PDT

Hi ryanstewart,

I think a full face helmet you need for your safety. Afcourse worse but give you full safety.

Thanks

• 22 posts
    April 23, 2019 1:11 PM PDT

Hey guy's,

When you ridding your bike you also take care about your ear besides your head. The ridding noise decibels is over 80 and it can damage your hearing capability. So take care.........

• 1 posts
    April 29, 2019 8:57 AM PDT

It's wide open.  Depends on what you like, the weather you ride in, how much protection you want, how much you need. What you're willing to pay, and whether or not it looks cool.  

• 22 posts
    April 29, 2019 2:02 PM PDT

When you were riding a bike, it is your first duty to maintain your safety. The loud sound of a motorcycle is harmful to your ears. So you need to an earplug must.