Down but thankful

• 1855 posts
    November 24, 2014 4:42 AM PST
    Yep, I got nothing. Nothing exciting but I am still alive.   Wind gusts pushing 50+.  Rain horizontal.  Chased (hobbled) my trash can down the road. Suddenly my 14 year old dog, currently hiding in the bathroom,  is afraid of the damn wood burner.  Finally getting an MRI of my knees today; hoping to confirm that I don't need both knees replaced.

While I have a good deal to be thankful for I'll be glad when this year is over.  Our back surgeries kept us off the bike all summer long.  Instead we settled for a cage ride to the Outer Banks which, quite frankly, wasn't all that enjoyable.  Back pain and knee pain is back pain and knee pain whether on a bike or in a cage.  It didn't do either of us much good.  I bought a '99 Dakota which I put more money into than I actually paid for the truck.  I'm a bit upset at that but it's my fault.  I gave my grandson my '04 Dakota for doing so well in school and helping me out.  I sold (gave away) my '05 F250 to my son just cause he needed a reliable truck.  I'm comfortable knowing that my preventive maintenance habit won't leave him stranded anywhere.   But anyway, I now have a '99 4x4 Dakota that I'll have to keep running for the next 10 years just to recoup what I've put into it.  I'm ashamed to admit how much so I just say to my friends, "Ain't she a beaut"?

It seems that everything I've done this year, except asking Gypsy to marry me, has been contrary to my character.  I mean, I absolutely hate mechanical work and yet I bought an old shovelhead.  Oh I got her done but WTH was I thinking!!!?  I sold two of the best guitars I own for no logical reason except to say I can only play one at a time but that's not a good reason at all.   That's like selling a motorcycle because you need the money.  Hell, if you didn't have a motorcycle to sell you'd still need the money and you'd probably get by, right?  I waited too long to take the initiative with my knees, believing that the VA would actually do something and I'm hoping knee surgery can get done before Christmas. 

Don't ge tme wrong.  I may be ranting (whining) but I love my life.  However, this year's idleness is killing me.  Killing both of us.  I've got the normal issues of a 66 year old person (nothing serious) but if I don't keep moving along they'll get to be more than just "something I have to live with".   The VA put me on hold and I've gained 20 pounds because I haven't been able to do anything really physical.  Again, it's my fault.  I put more faith in them than in myself. And that is out of character to say the least.  I've always had this saying, "I'm the smartest person I know" but I sure don't feel like it these days.  LOL

I'm thankful for my family.  I'm thankful that they work hard.  I'm thankful that they remain in my life. I'm thankful for each morning and each evening. I'm thankful that my grand daughter, who has spina bifida, can laugh and make the rest of us smile. I'm thankful for Gyspy.  I'm thankful that we're not destitute.  And I am damn thankful that this year is coming to a close and we can look forward to a brighter tomorrow.  And I'm thankful that I'm really NOT the smartest person I know.  Imagine the pressure that would put on a person.   LOL

Thanks for the whine and cheese.   I hope you're Thanksgiving if truly special this year.

Peace
    • 16831 posts
    November 24, 2014 4:57 AM PST
    AMEN!
    We as well are hoping 2015 is a better year.
    • 467 posts
    November 24, 2014 6:29 AM PST
    Good for you to realize where the real priorities are! Every day I wake up on this side of the grass is a Blessing!
    • 5420 posts
    November 24, 2014 7:23 AM PST
    You did have a tough year but just think of how GREAT it is going to end with getting married to Gypsy!!!

Everyone goes through those tough times and it is good to share those with your friends - just like the good times - and that is not whining. Being thankful for what we have is how we go on to get by the tough times.

Happy Thanksgiving My Friend!
    • 1 posts
    November 24, 2014 4:05 PM PST
    Hey Jimmy...this may or not work..but it sure helped me..Take a shot glass full of applecider vinegar morning and night..I can'[t believe the pain free days I'm experiencing since October when i first heard of it..if you pain is from arthritis then this maybe what you have been looking for..it tastes like shit..and makes you want to puke..i dredd taking it.. but it seems to work...I also drink lots of ginger ale and ginger beer..apparently ginger works well for arthritic pain too.
    • 57 posts
    November 24, 2014 10:16 PM PST
    Hey Jimmy,keep on keeping on.Hoping you and Gypsy can get the aches and pains manageable soon and able to enjoy the things that mean the most to you both.Happy Thanksgiving

• 19040 posts
    November 24, 2014 10:36 PM PST
    Hang Tough Dude, you can do it!
    • 1 posts
    November 26, 2014 10:18 AM PST
    Bad years are just a test to see what we are truely made of. That my thoughts every time I have survived one, so here is to a much better year. And my favorite blessing for you both: may you have good health and great times ahead.
    Oh and when I set idle bad things happen so I tear some thing apart or go help someone else.  Just finished sister in laws kitchen.
    • 3006 posts
    November 26, 2014 4:26 PM PST
    Good post thanks for sharing)
    I hope that you have a Very Happy ThanksGiving!!!

That's what we do this time of year, while giving thanks we remember the year gone by. I was in the same frame of mind the other day,and I agree you have to put a positive spin on it and remember to give thanks for all the good stuff that keeps you going.We all want to vent about stuff yet not come off sounding like poor pitiful me,or the ranting crazed clown types.Been thru quite a bit this year myself,yet in spite of all the downers I remained focused on the positive aspects of my life,and do give thanks for the blessings I have,including all my friends here like you and others that make this board & riding so special.

stay safe & enjoy the ride !!!
    • 1855 posts
    November 27, 2014 12:32 AM PST
    That truck I bought.....well now I need a new transfer case and I can't afford not to put one in after all I've already put into it. But hey, I'm thankful to have a truck. LOL

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Peace
    • 9 posts
    November 30, 2014 1:23 AM PST
    Well said. All of it. And know I'll be praying for that break-through for you. May God Bless all the sacrifices you've made to help others. And receive His blessings, as they are coming! In Jesus name. Amen!

On a personal note...I'd like to say, while you may not be the smartest person you know, I consider you
    to be one of the smartest, that I know. K?

Ride Free
    Tweek

• 611 posts
    December 3, 2014 5:51 AM PST
    Well damn it Jimmy... Does sound like ya have some good things mixed in with the crappy stuff. Congrats on gettin hitched to Gypsy. Thanks for sharing both the good and bad with us, I've heard that when you share the good stuff with your friends... they are multiplied. When you share the bad/tough/crappy stuff, they are are divided... I like that one.
    Here's to better times and less pain in 2015, to less trouble with your vehicles and all the Love and Happiness that will be coming your way. Many Blessings to you and your family!
    Edgeman