Still Riding Weather for You???

• 5417 posts
    November 21, 2014 3:42 AM PST
    Starting to cool down - FINALLY - and just got the winter gear out of the closet.  And I am so excited because ater wearing the same worn out winter gloves year after year, I finally got a new pair last Christmas and they are nice and cozy!

The only thing about this time of year here in So Cal is the difference in the temps depending on the area.  We rode this weekend to meet some friends on the other side of the hill and when we left it was fairly chilly and we knew it would be a lot colder at the top of the hill and the canyons with the wind.  So we wore long sleve shirts, jackets, winter gloves and chaps.  Then when we dropped down the other side the temp went up 30° and we had to pull over and strip down.  Another few weeks and it will be cool over there in the desert too so you can dress for the entire ride.
    • 1855 posts
    November 21, 2014 4:53 AM PST
    Just rub it in Lucky. Keep it up brother, just keep it up. LOL

Peace
  • November 21, 2014 5:10 AM PST
    where i live here in oregon (willamette valley) I can ride all year long usually with the exception of 1 or 2 weeks when we get snow or ice.Yes it gets cold and rainy but that is what rain gear and leather is for
    • 84 posts
    November 21, 2014 1:32 PM PST
    Was 72 degrees today. We don't usually get more than 1 dusting during the winter but 10 miles north might get a day or 2 with a little snow on the ground in Feb.

Can pretty easily ride all year with nothing but a jacket and gloves for the winter. Works out well as I probably don't have more than 10-15 years left to ride.
    • 16795 posts
    November 21, 2014 2:29 PM PST
    I live in PA. between Cleveland and Buffalo along Lake Erie. :-)
    • 79 posts
    November 21, 2014 2:33 PM PST
    It's 18 here in Ohio,riding season is over for a while.
    • 3006 posts
    November 21, 2014 5:34 PM PST
    Finally getting some much needed rain up here,looks like the storm door has opened again.Had a good soaking last nite in the bay area,local creek actually had some serious runoff going today.Looking forwards to getting more.
    Took a quick ride today n that brisk winter chill is in the air,tho to you folks back east 55' is more like a spring day. tho at night we can easily drop into the high 40's & out in the canyons 30's.
    • 19007 posts
    November 21, 2014 9:02 PM PST
    Down here in the desert we might get 5 days of winter when you can not ride. I hate winter.
    • 84 posts
    November 22, 2014 1:57 AM PST

Just before I left the US I lived in Kansas a few years.  One year right before Christmas we had this crazy ice storm.  Whole areas were without electricity for a week or more.  Couldn't find a generator for a couple of hundred miles.

By the way, anybody seen my cow lately?

• 2 posts
    November 22, 2014 2:20 AM PST
     Bite me
  • November 26, 2014 3:24 AM PST
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    "Down here in the desert we might get 5 days of winter when you can not ride. I hate winter."

5 whole days huh? That must really suck!  Here in New York it takes 5 days just to find my bike! 

• 846 posts
    December 1, 2014 4:14 AM PST
    Can't believe it a week ago I was riding in Mass/NH now my bikes in storage, there's snow and ice on the ground and I spent Thanksgiving at my sister's with no electrical power. It's going to be a long winter here I think.
  • December 2, 2014 1:50 AM PST
    Iowa is hit and miss with snow so If the roads are clear I can dress for the temp.
    • 57 posts
    December 2, 2014 2:42 AM PST
    To much salt on the roads for me,serviced- cleaned and put into storage
    • 467 posts
    December 3, 2014 2:00 AM PST
    Normally I get to ride at least once a month year round, but I have to haul my bike up the driveway to the highway to do that! I generally don't see my driveway from November to May. But the roads do clear up nicely every now and then!
    • 3006 posts
    December 3, 2014 4:34 PM PST
    We are finally back in a normal wet pattern it seems like.Been raining since last Friday with some breaks here n there yet the creeks are actually flowing steady again.So far we are 125% of what we normally get by this time of year!!! The skiers are going to be loving it!!! The mountains are getting their first real dump in over 2 years.The drought is not over yet all the signs indicate it is coming to an end,hopefully other western states are getting serious relief also.
    • 2 posts
    December 3, 2014 10:46 PM PST
    I ride all year as long as there isn't ice!! Coldest temp so far was 18 degrees and that was one January 1 morning where a group of us get together for a New Years day ride. I don't have electric gear either,, dress in layers and use my old military training from MANY years ago when I was stationed in Alaska.
  • December 7, 2014 2:10 AM PST
    In Texas it is alway riding wethere.
  • December 7, 2014 2:34 AM PST
    We only miss a couple of days each winter here in OK. We've had to turn it around once or twice due to ice... In KS we learned the wind can take the joy of riding away really quick no matter the season...KY was the worst....oh, to be back home in Florida again! But even there, hurricanes can ruin your plans!
  • December 7, 2014 9:18 AM PST
    As long as there is no ice on the roads.
    • 19007 posts
    December 7, 2014 9:03 PM PST
    azkidtx wrote...

Oh Yeah!

• 1161 posts
    December 9, 2014 3:06 PM PST
    I live here in Southern Georgia still waiting for winter to hit, Been waiting for almost 5 years now.   Man I sure the West Coast though. 
  • December 9, 2014 3:54 PM PST
    I live in eastern Oregon....Tygh Valley. gets alittle cold (leathers), generally not much rain. can ride most of the year.
  • December 11, 2014 12:45 AM PST
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    azkidtx wrote...

Oh Yeah!

If you guys keep bragging about your weather down there, I just might pack it up and come visit you for the winter. Our winter started November 11th. We haven't seen temps much above 30 degrees since then.