How often do you change your oil?

• October 24, 2014 1:39 PM PDT
     How often do you change your oil 3,000 miles? Or do you let it go 7,000. On my Road King I will let it go as much as 4,000 with synthetics, but never more than that. On the old Shovel Head I don’t have a tachometer so I just look at the oil to see if I need to change it. But I don’t use synthetics in it. Should I?
    • 5420 posts
    October 24, 2014 2:07 PM PDT
    I used to do oil change around 3,000 with old dino oil.  Since synthetic lube doesn't break down as fast I go 6,000 to 7,000 between changes. But it still gets dirty so I change the filter and top off at 3,000 to 3,500.

I have heard that you should not run syn in the older motors. Not sure why, but I have heard it lots of different places.
    • 79 posts
    October 24, 2014 3:36 PM PDT
    I use standard motor oil and still only change it every 5000 miles,haven't had a problem yet.
    • 84 posts
    October 24, 2014 10:04 PM PDT
    I use Syn 3 and change every 5K, primary every 10K and transmission every 20K. I was raised to believe changing oil was the most important thing in helping the engine last. Old habits die hard.

Made a maintenance folder with an Excel sheet that tracks everything on the Regular Service Intervals list (and front/rear tire mileage history, brake pad mileage history, etc) tied into a page that shows fuel fills, Km since last fill, miles since last fill, price per liter, liters added, total price, liters/100 Kms, mpg, price/gal and Euros/Km. Next due mileage turns red when getting close (250 miles).

85K miles and so far no problems.

• 19037 posts
    October 24, 2014 11:18 PM PDT
    Rex has been on Dino oil since new. I usually change oil and filter every 3k but have let it go to a little over 4k. About 80k and no oil related problems. 10K for primary and trans.
  • October 25, 2014 10:59 AM PDT
    I change mine every 5000, oil and filter
    • 57 posts
    October 25, 2014 10:30 PM PDT
    Dino in both the Ultra and Heritage, 3k oil and filter !0k trans and primary,
  • October 27, 2014 9:31 PM PDT
    @Lucky: I don’t used syn in the old Shovel because I heard the same thing. but didn’t know if it was BS or not. I like the idea of change the filter and toping it off at 3,000 to 3,500.

@Snakechrmr: WOW!! That is great. And something I need to work on. I write it down now but windup loosing the paper after some time.

• 84 posts
    October 27, 2014 9:53 PM PDT
    @azkidtx........For decades I wrote services down on a 3 X 5 and put it in a sleeve on the inside lid of the big toolbox when I did recurring maintenance. A few years back I started using an Excel sheet to manually enter services. Then one day when I had more time than money or sense I decided to go crazy with excel.

But I do tend to over analyze things.
    • 5420 posts
    October 28, 2014 2:59 AM PDT
     Snakechrmr,, you know we have a real nice feature here on CycleFish to track oil changes and all maintenance... it is called Service Tracker and in your Garage.  I lets you record and view all maintenance on your bike.  Even keeps a running total of cost by category.

To start using the Garage and Service Tracker feature, go to your profile and click Manage My Garage under your picture.

For a quick demo on how the Garage and Service Tracker work go here... http://www.cyclefish.com/tutorials//garage-demo-3.html />
    Here is a screen shot of my Service Record from Service Tracker....

• 84 posts
    October 28, 2014 6:49 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
     Snakechrmr,, you know we have a real nice feature here on CycleFish to track oil changes and all maintenance... it is called Service Tracker and in your Garage.  I lets you record and view all maintenance on your bike.  Even keeps a running total of cost by category.

To start using the Garage and Service Tracker feature, go to your profile and click Manage My Garage under your picture.

For a quick demo on how the Garage and Service Tracker work go here... http://www.cyclefish.com/tutorials//garage-demo-3.html />
    Here is a screen shot of my Service Record from Service Tracker....

Now you tell me!

But thanks I'll check it out for more ideas,
    snake

• 846 posts
    October 29, 2014 5:23 AM PDT
    I use synthetics and change it every 5,000 when everything else gets serviced. Nice easy number to remember and everything gets done.
    • 1 posts
    November 6, 2014 11:14 AM PST
    I do 5,000 mile oil changes with synethetics on the twin cams. 3,000 mile oil changes with dino on the antiques.
  • December 7, 2014 8:30 AM PST
    Service manual says 5000. With 120,000 miles on the '05 when I traded it in on a '12 it was still running strong and no problems. Of course that's four times a year for me. Couldn't see wasting the money on doing it every 3000 unless it sets a lot and sucks up moisture...
  • December 11, 2014 7:04 AM PST
    My ride...82' Shovelhead (FLHC), and I do use Syn oil in her. Always have....no problems...???
  • October 8, 2015 11:22 AM PDT
    I change every 5k on oil 10k on primary 20k on tranny running AMSOIL IN MOTOR PRIMARY TRANS
    • 84 posts
    October 10, 2015 12:08 AM PDT
    Sunchaser74 wrote...
    I change every 5k on oil 10k on primary 20k on tranny running AMSOIL IN MOTOR PRIMARY TRANS

Sunchaser74, I keep hearing more and more about AMSOIL.  Mechanics are saying I should switch, friends are encouraging me to switch and I've been reading a bunch of reports.  Been running Syn 3 since new, change as per the Harley book as do you and with 93K on her now have had no problems.  But Syn 3 costs me over $40/qt here and I was just offered AMSOIL at a case price of around $12/qt for 20-50.  2-3 cases would last me a couple of years or more and if it's as good as people are saying it'd save a bundle. 

Wondering if there could be any problems with switching.  Also do you run AMSOIL filter or Harley?

Thanx,
    Snake
  • December 1, 2015 1:31 PM PST
    Synthetic oils work great in cases that have neoprene seals that are designed for synthetic oil. Rubber compounds, cork and paper gaskets tend to weep with synthetic oils.

I run Castrol 4T and a small amount of zinc additive i n the engine case. Change it around 3-4,000 miles or during the winter.
  • December 26, 2015 6:59 PM PST
    Like others old habits die hard. 3k on all 3 bikes, 2 use syn and the other uses dino. In regards to the myth / fact dino verses syn. If your motor has been run with lots of miles on Dino don't switch to syn. Motors with Dino build up certain deposits and switching washes away the carbon deposits that have built up over time and engine wear. Yes, first hand experience. My son took the advise of friends to switch from Dino to syn and the motor never ran well after and made tons of clatter noise. My 2 cents
  • December 26, 2015 7:02 PM PST
    To keep track of routine maintenance I use my phone. That way wether I'm at home or on the road I've got all my data with me. Periodic backup of the phones keeps my records stored in case the phone is lost.
  • January 19, 2016 3:52 AM PST
    I run synthetic and change it annually. For me, between work and all else, that's typically well <5,000 miles :-(