What Rain Gear Do You Carry?

• 284 posts
    September 10, 2014 7:59 AM PDT
    I have never had Rain Gear, parsay, but I usually carry a rain jacket.

The only time I have seen someone, in what looks like a Rain Suit, riding in the rain was on a Jap, Beemer, or some other non-American bike.  I never looked into rain gear, but now with the big saddle bags, I got plenty of room for some rain gear.

So if you would be so kind as to give me some ideas as to should I get a 2 piece, or one piece jump suit or are there other options I am not contemplating and have never seen.

• 1855 posts
    September 10, 2014 8:28 AM PDT
    I didn't have a windshield or rain gear for nearly 30 years. WTF was I thinking? LOL Anyway, I have lightweight frog togs and I also have a set of lined HD raingear for when it's cold. You can't wear that HD rubber lined gear over 60 degrees though. You get just as wet sweating as if you weren't wearing rain gear. I found that the frog togs really do the trick even in some of the hardest rain. BTW, both sets are 2 piece which I prefer.
    Peace
    • 5417 posts
    September 10, 2014 9:46 AM PDT
     I don't usually have to carry rain gear locally because I live in So California and it only rains a couple days a year (hence our current record drought).  However anytime I travel out of the area I do carry it.  I normally will only put it on if I think I will be in the rain long enough to soak my jacket.  I have the H-D two-piece. I personally like the two piece myself for a couple of reasons...

A lot of times on cold damp mornings I will wear just the jacket like a wind breaker.

I find the two piece is easier to get on and much easier to deal with at restroom breaks.

If a sudden downpour comes up - like I hit in Arizona a lot - and I can't find a covered place to stop and get both pieces on, I can at least quickly get the jacket on.

This has actually been written about a lot here over the years.  You may also want to check out these posts to see what some others have said....
    • 284 posts
    September 10, 2014 8:08 PM PDT
    Yes I know there have been previous posts about this topic and probably every other topic we reply to.

But after 10 years of doing something have you ever seen someone do it differently, or see a new product and change from what you did 2 years ago. So now instead of what you posted Last Year, it is no longer valid. You now, in this case, wear a totally different type of rain gear. Or you found some gadget that modified how you do a specific maintenance issue on your bike. But you never shared either of these things, "OH found the best new rain gear"

So unless you ask, even after reading and searching previous posts, you may miss out on some new Stupendous Break thru in Rain Gear Lucky found but did not tell anyone.

Cause there are new and innovative products being introduced every day. So last years post is out of date. That is why I ask.

Thanks SS
    • 19007 posts
    September 11, 2014 1:00 AM PDT
    If it was going to be a soaker, all day rain. I would wear a Harley Two piece set. I replaced that set with a light weight Frog Togs on a recommendation from a riding friend. It is the best rain gear I have ever had. In fact so good at preventing rain that in the last three years I have not even worn it. I kid you not. The Togs have been neatly rolled in my left saddlebag for the last three years and still have the string tags on them.
  • September 11, 2014 2:14 AM PDT
    I've never bought rain gear....gonna have to try that some day!
  • September 11, 2014 4:43 AM PDT
    I carry a pair of rain pants I bought at wallmart,With those, my leathers and windshield I stay dry and I do ride in the rain     alot here in oregon
    • 3006 posts
    September 13, 2014 7:13 PM PDT
    I carry a Rukka one piece suit.,used it for 20+ years now, bought it used off a buddy of mine who sold his scoot and moved away.He paid a mint for it back in the day. Wont melt on the pipes. Has reflective piping,& is highly reflective in low light.Rukka has been making motorcycle riding apparel since 1950 and is famous in Europe for their excellent quality.
    • 79 posts
    September 14, 2014 3:55 PM PDT
    I'm with mac117 on this.I've been riding 27 years and have never had anything but chaps and a leather jacket.
    • 16795 posts
    September 14, 2014 6:16 PM PDT
    Back in the day I never thought of such things, but as I aged and started to have serious health issues I went the full coverage route, being: jacket, bib cover-all, face mask, boot covers and water resistant hunting gloves.
    • 284 posts
    September 15, 2014 8:10 PM PDT
    Started when I was 14 on mini-bikes and I am now 57 and never had rain gear before, but gettin wet su*ks in my book.

After all the good suggestions I am goin with a Frog Bibbs lower and a lite weight jacket upper.

New material, and seem to be the best bang for the buck.

Thanks for the participation... Greatly appreciated.

SS
    • 84 posts
    September 15, 2014 9:39 PM PDT
    About 7 years ago I bought a Nelson Rigg 2-piece. It looked good in the closet but I'd never worn a rainsuit and didn't carry it on trips. Bike came with a windshield I don't much care for so I didn't normally clip it on unless there was a lot of rain expected or it was really cold.

Then, last year I spent about 4 hours in some really cold, heavy rain in the first hours of a 550 mile day. Leather jacket was soaked through, shirt was soaked, gloves were soaked, fingers were white and boots had an inch or 2 of water sloshing around.

So this year on a long ride I left with the windshield on and finally took the rainsuit out of the closet. On the way home spent around 4 hours in light to moderate rain at the end of the day into night. Discovered rainsuits and windshields actually work.

I don't normally mind rain and 10-15 minutes in a spring/summer/fall shower drying out in the sun on the other side isn't a problem. Maybe it's age but sometimes rain/cold is just gets damn uncomfortable.

I probably should get better gloves for rain............
    • 1855 posts
    September 16, 2014 12:51 AM PDT
    Wow!!! The way I was ragged on for NOT having raingear I'm surprised at the number of posts hear from those who also didn't/don't have any. Like I said, I have raingear now and I'm not sure what convinced me to buy some. Even the trip back to W. Central Ohio from D.C. where it went from continuous rain to snow and my leathers had to be peeled off of me wasn't enough to make me get gear. It's a pleasure to know there are others out there as stubborn as I was. LOL

Peace
    • 844 posts
    September 16, 2014 7:33 AM PDT
    Love my Frog Togs. Work well and pack small
    • 284 posts
    September 16, 2014 8:22 AM PDT
    I agree with Jimmyacorn, "It's a pleasure to know there are others out there as stubborn as I was (AM). LOL"

Can not wait till my Frog Bibbs get here.

Tried the new jacket and it fits over my leather jacket perfectly.

SS
    • 314 posts
    September 17, 2014 12:02 AM PDT
    I have a set of the HD jacket and pants. I mostly care about using them when i am on a trip. I do not normally carry them with me on a regular basis
    • 1855 posts
    September 17, 2014 2:30 AM PDT
    I have the frog togs in my saddle bag at all times. They crunch up real nice. The heavier HD set I only carry when we're on longer trips. I don't wear leather chaps. When it's cold I wear flannel lined jeans and my rain pants if need be.
    • 84 posts
    September 17, 2014 3:26 AM PDT
    Jimmyacorn wrote...
    I don't wear leather chaps.

I wear leather chaps when it's cold.  I get a lot of strange looks 'cause in this part of Europe everybody wears full leathers when cool to becoming cold.  I've never even seen chaps in any of the stores over here. Don't think they're available.
    • 1855 posts
    September 17, 2014 3:41 AM PDT
    Snakechrmr wrote...
    Jimmyacorn wrote...
    I don't wear leather chaps.

I wear leather chaps when it's cold.  I get a lot of strange looks 'cause in this part of Europe everybody wears full leathers when cool to becoming cold.  I've never even seen chaps in any of the stores over here. Don't think they're available.

At the risk of being politically incorrect (like I really give a sheite), I was told by a member of the Patriots MC UK that chaps are for queers and HOG members.  While I don't subscribe to that theory personally, I immediately sold my chaps and I'm not a member of any HOG chapter.
  • September 17, 2014 6:58 AM PDT
    frog togs, I have had them for about 5 years and worth the purchase!
  • September 18, 2014 8:00 PM PDT
     Waterproof rain gear is a prerequisite

————————————————————————————————
    fingerless cycling gloves arsuxeo shorts  cycling bottoms
    • 846 posts
    September 23, 2014 8:00 AM PDT
    Having just got back from a 2 week road trip to the Smokey's I used them a few times. I carry a Frog Togs jacket, Gore tex pants and boot covers. Added the boot cover after I found out the hard way can't stand 2 days of wet boots. The Jacket and pants I roll up and stick in the rear corner of one saddle bag and the boot covers lay flat at the bottom of the bag. Takes up less space that way.
  • December 11, 2014 7:13 AM PST
    An extra T-shirt.
    • 10 posts
    December 20, 2014 3:59 AM PST
    Frog togs... wear them over the jacket and vest. They keep you dry & warm riding .... and even if you end up sleeping on the ground.
  • December 27, 2014 11:54 PM PST
    I use Olympia Horizon rain gear. Find your local vender on the web. American made in Hendersonville NC.