Road King Front Wheel Bearings

• 5420 posts
    June 6, 2014 3:51 AM PDT
    The front wheel bearings on my 2007 Road King just don't feel right.  I just pulled the wheel off to take it in for a new tire and noticed the wheel bearings feel a little rough when turning by hand.

This is one of the few things I have never changed myself.

Are there special tools required to change the wheel bearings?, or can I just knock them out from the inside and tap new ones in with a wood block and rubber mallot?
    • 1855 posts
    • 5420 posts
    June 7, 2014 3:22 AM PDT
    Since it is something I won't do often, probably not worth buying the tools required.
  • June 7, 2014 5:11 AM PDT
    The Economic Balance... Hey Lucky, fill in the missing piece of information.

Bearing removal tool from Harley Dealer is $317.00
    Or Same tool listed on Amazon is $87.00
    Lucky taking the problem wheel to the dealer to install bearing(s)? $$$$?

• 5420 posts
    June 7, 2014 5:16 AM PDT
    Actually when I went to pickup my wheel this morning after having the tire put on, I asked him and he said he said $20 for the bearings and $10 to change 'em. Had it done if about 10 minutes while I waited.
  • June 7, 2014 7:25 AM PDT
    Now that's really "Lucky"

I would have bought the tool from Amazon...

I'm glad this turned out well for you. Can you share the amount of mileage that the bearing was good for?
    • 5420 posts
    June 7, 2014 8:51 AM PDT
    I only have about 60k on them, but it just felt a little rough to me and for $30 it makes me feel better to replace them.
    • 1855 posts
    June 7, 2014 9:48 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    I only have about 60k on them, but it just felt a little rough to me and for $30 it makes me feel better to replace them.

Only?  30k has always been tops with me.  The same with clutch cables. Clutch when it tells me so.
    Motor mounts 25K.  Brakes when I need 'em but no more than 60K when I'll also make a decision about timing chain;  When I've had the $$ I switched to gears.

Wonder why HD stopped using gears?
  • June 7, 2014 11:59 AM PDT
    I don't know why... I tend to keep my Harley's longer then any of the Jap bikes in my riding history. My 2010 Road Glide just passed 45k miles ( I know cause I change the oil every 5k). I ride almost every day to work at a Fed. Air Field which is about 35 miles round trip. My bike has the dual compound tires which is hard in the center and softer sides. I get about almost 18 months from a set of tires. I really don't ride rough, rarely doing burn-outs or wheelies. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing others do that, but I'm getting up there and it takes me longer to heal.

I need to stop here cause I've been dealing with an oil leak from the "O" ring on the snout of the starter. I've purchase a replacement "O" ring, but recently I took the bike in for a recall and when the bike came out, the leak began... and one of the Allan head bolts is stripped. Now I don't know what happened at the dealer, but I find this development rather remarkable. Cause the recall had nothing to do with the starter, or should it have included the R&R of the starter. I've been playing hell getting the stripped bolt out, but came across this tool called the Bolt Griper made by many. Mine is a Craftsman, but Irwin is also very popular. So I'm off to see what happens. I sure would like to get this problem solved this weekend.

later,
    D-
    • 1 posts
    June 8, 2014 11:37 AM PDT
    Jimmyacorn wrote...
    Lucky wrote...

Only?  30k has always been tops with me.  The same with clutch cables. Clutch when it tells me so.
    Motor mounts 25K.  Brakes when I need 'em but no more than 60K when I'll also make a decision about timing chain;  When I've had the $$ I switched to gears.

60k sounds reasonable, I have seen good bearings in wheels (especially front wheels) at 100k+.  30k to me is a little early, but like Lucky said for $30 or $40 bucks (which is the most it should cost if the wheel is already off), do it if it makes you feel better.

• June 18, 2014 8:24 AM PDT
    I rolled over 50k on the way home from the redwood run and I need new front bearings asap. The rear wheel bearings went out last year outside of cheyenne. Maybe the bearings wear out faster if you ride the bike fully loaded like we do.
    • 5420 posts
    June 18, 2014 11:25 AM PDT
    I agree Terry. You like me, do a lot of long distance riding with fully loaded bikes and that does take more a toll on the bearings.
  • June 18, 2014 12:07 PM PDT
    And don't forget wet, when bearings get wet a lot they fail sooner.
    • 84 posts
    June 18, 2014 6:41 PM PDT
    BailOut wrote...
    Jimmyacorn wrote...
    Lucky wrote...

60k sounds reasonable, I have seen good bearings in wheels (especially front wheels) at 100k+.  30k to me is a little early, but like Lucky said for $30 or $40 bucks (which is the most it should cost if the wheel is already off), do it if it makes you feel better.

I've got about 82K on my '07 Lowrider and I'm still on original front/rear wheel bearings, clutch, drive belt, clutch cable, timing chain and motor mounts.  Replaced brakes at 60K.  Had the bike on the lift week before last to change eng/xmsn/primary oil, new rear tire, adjust steering head bearings inspect motor mounts and give a good going over in preparation for last week's run.  I don't do burnouts or run the engine hard and change oils/adjust drive belt religiously

Maybe I'm getting old and don't feel things as good as I did 30-40 years ago but she cruised smooth as glass from 65-80 mph the entire trip.  Bike also used less than one increment on the engine dipstick. 

A good scooter is like a good woman, you take care of her and she'll take care of you.