Primary Chain Adjustment

• May 1, 2009 8:13 AM PDT
    How often should you check/adjust your primary chain on a Harley Davidson?

I know the H-D manual says to do it every oil change.  But I have check it every time and it seems to be perfect.  Does it really stay adjusted for over 20K miles or am I checking i incorrectly?
    • 1 posts
    May 1, 2009 12:44 PM PDT
    Jump,

It is not unusual for the primary chain to stay within the adjustment for 20k. It really depends on how hard you ride whether the chain will stretch or not. If you do a lot of fast starts, the chain will stretch faster.

Since it just takes a minute to pull the cover and check it, I would still check it each oil change. A loose chain will wear the teeth on the sprokets faster and could possibly slap the case doing damage to the case.
  • May 15, 2009 4:22 AM PDT
    Thanks BailOut, Your right it does just take a minute so I'll keep checking.
    • 19031 posts
    May 18, 2009 12:47 AM PDT
    My chain gets a look at whenever I change the primary oil which is once a year in the early spring. I have 39K on Rex and I think it has only been adjusted twice.
  • November 3, 2009 3:58 AM PST
    ...and if you ever change the chain you could convert your tensioner to the new hydraulic style unit, just some extra peace of mind.
    • 5420 posts
    November 3, 2009 6:20 AM PST
    Black9 wrote...
    ...and if you ever change the chain you could convert your tensioner to the new hydraulic style unit, just some extra peace of mind.

Good sugestion.  I have one on my 07 Road King and feel much better about the chain always being adjusted.  I actually had problems from a loose primary chain on my '02 that I had forgotten to check for a while.

• 1364 posts
    November 3, 2009 10:59 AM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    Black9 wrote...

Good sugestion.  I have one on my 07 Road King and feel much better about the chain always being adjusted.  I actually had problems from a loose primary chain on my '02 that I had forgotten to check for a while.

Gear drive needs no adjustment....... As long as it's set up correctly the will very little if any whine...

• 19031 posts
    November 3, 2009 11:14 PM PST
    I like that idea of using the new style adjuster. I will do that this winter since a new primary chain and drive belt are in my plans. Rex has almost 60K and no adjustment left and the chain is too loose.
  • November 4, 2009 6:11 PM PST
    As a tech... I always recommend converting over... when its too loose, you'll know and it's probably time for a new chain at that point but that is many miles down the road. There are variables to consider, how hard you ride, how fast, how far, do you do two up with gear for long trips.

Gear drives are great but have nothing to do with the Primary side and all gear drives are noisey, no way around it but that is my next project this winter is converting to gear drive. I have an 07 with the hydraulic chain tensioners and have already gone through a set so I think I'm just going to go for the gear drive to eliminate the need to be paranoid:-)