The ER called

• 1855 posts
    January 2, 2014 9:31 AM PST
    I spent the last 3 days in the hospital.  went in at 10 p.m. New Year's Eve.  Chest pains akin to what I had in 05 prior to my open-heart.  Went through a mass of tests and my heart, amazingly enough, is still good to go.  Turns out I have emphysema; treatable and not likely to get any worse.  That's good cause I don't wanna haul an O2 bottle around on the motorcycle. 

So, I'm late but Happy New year.......
    • 5420 posts
    January 2, 2014 9:59 AM PST
    Sorry you had to spend New Years in the hospital, but glad you are okay. I too have emphysema and get the chest pains. Time to start taking better care of this old body, cause I don't want an O2 bottle either.
  • January 2, 2014 12:31 PM PST
    I can see carrying an NO2 bottle but not an O2. Exercise eat right and do what the Dr. says hope you feel better soon
    • 44 posts
    January 3, 2014 12:54 AM PST
    Hope you get to feeling better my doc says I need to eat right so I changed hands
    • 3006 posts
    January 3, 2014 5:05 AM PST
    Glad its nothing too serious!!! Just take good care n eat right,also look into certain foods which might be triggers,I know I had to cut out all greasy foods.
  • January 3, 2014 5:18 AM PST
    I found drinking a little Dawn dishwashing detergent helps cut grease. if it's good enough for baby ducks it good enough for me
    • 16840 posts
    January 3, 2014 6:16 AM PST
    Don't breath in anymore of this cold air then you have to Jimmy.
    • 284 posts
    January 3, 2014 9:04 AM PST
    Better in the hospital than the grave. Good luck and fast recovery....
  • January 4, 2014 5:05 AM PST
    Glad you are OK!
    • 846 posts
    January 4, 2014 6:45 AM PST
    Glad to hear you're going to be good to go. Take care an ride.
  • January 4, 2014 10:48 AM PST
    It's HELL to get older. Lol
    • 1855 posts
    January 7, 2014 5:28 AM PST
    Went to pick up test results from the hospital today and the medical summary in order to get them to the VA. A couple of things:

For nearly a year I've been telling the VA that I have no appetite, that my stomach feels full (bloated), and that feeling seems to manifest itself in ways that affect my energy, motivation. Everything I do just makes me feel uncomfortable. I'm sure that my lack of appetite has an affect on managing my diabetes. But they (VA) never did anything about my concerns/complaint. I'm not even sure they wrote any of it down. So I've gone about my business trying to find ways to manage my diabetic numbers; such as fooling with my insulin dosages, something the VA has left entirely up to me. Makes me wonder how many other Veterans are left to kill themselves instead of being treated. As positive as I've always felt for the way the VA treats me, the more you learn the more you learn to pay greater attention.

Well, the results of my CT scan show that I have gall stones; a number of small ones that I've had for quite some time. Of course this explains everything when it comes to my appetite and the real possibility that I'm going to be able to see some positive results with my diabetes once I have gall bladder surgery. And what the CT scan also does for me is give me the ammunition to get on my VA doctors. "Why didn't you do something"? "Did you even bother to write down my complaints"?

I feel now that I have to be an advocate for something that might actually make a difference for someone. Veterans have to, need to be proactive when it comes to their care. They can't just take someone's word or take anything for granted. They have to insist and persist.

Bottom line is that this New Year (episode) has really sparked some new life in me. My heart is clear. Cholesterol LDL at 70. A bit of emphysema I can manage. And a gall stone condition that seemingly has been at the forefront of diabetic management that can be remedied. I guess it is like a shot of WD-40 after all. Nothing has stopped me though I may be a bit slower.  I intend to rectify that as well.

Peace
    • 5420 posts
    January 7, 2014 6:14 AM PST
    Glad to hear the spirits are still up and you are going froward with a positive attitude.

I can tell you from experience that the lack of energy and some of the lack of appetite is a result of the emphysema. The reduced blood oxygen to your organs will make them all operate just a little less efficient. Like I said in my message to you, the biggest thing I found to help there is a mild cardio routine. Don't need to push yourself until the breathing becomes labored, but a brisk walk in the morning and early afternoon will get your O2 level up and do wonders for your energy level.

Take care my friend and don't let it get you down!
    • 1855 posts
    March 1, 2014 8:02 AM PST
    Less than a full 3 day stay.....cost?    $17,500.00

Holy Sheite!!!!!!!!!

Happy to say that Medicare DID cover $16K and that was an even bigger surprise!!!  So then, I can do something else to my motorcycle.   LOL
    • 9 posts
    March 2, 2014 12:29 AM PST
    Dang, Jimmy...
    Didn't realize all that was goin' on with ya! And I'm hearin' everything you're sayin' about the VA from other
    Vets, I council and just listen to. You are your own best "Patient Advocate"! Stay strong, and INSIST on things, being checked, as they present themselves. And this applies to everyone...
    WHEN YOUR BODY IS TALKING TO YOU, PLEASE...LISTEN TO IT!!!

We, have all reached the age, where we can't ignore those "little aches and pains" any longer. Unfortunately,
    the older we get, some of those, may be more serious, than we may want to admit. Don't be afraid to be
    checked tho, K? The longer some things are put off, the higher the cost, and the toll it can take, on your HEALTH.

I will be prayin' for ya, Jimmy!
    Much Love, and respect.

Ride Free (and healthy...!)
    Tweek