Where Were YOU 50 Years Ago Today - JFK

• 5419 posts
    November 22, 2013 2:51 AM PST
    Everyone who is at least my age remembers exactly where they were when the announcement was made that President Kennedy has been shot.

Even though I was only 5 years old, I remember it vividly (probably the only thing I do remember from that young).  My mother had just picked me up from kindergarden and I was sitting at the table eating a snack.  I heard my mother crying on the phone, crying like I had never heard.  Then she told me that someone shot President Kennedy.  She put me in the car and we went to Church.  My sister was still in school that was a part of the Church (we went to Catholic School).  My mom knelt there and prayed for over an hour until my sister got out of school.  I remember lots of people coming into the Church crying and talking... my mother never said a word, she just knelt there crying and praying.  By the time we had gotten home with my sister my dad had left work early and was just sitting in front on the TV staring.
  • November 22, 2013 4:36 AM PST
    You are so right - I still have a vivid image of that moment ....
    Ms Bly's HS English Class room 109 (I remember the room # because that was his PT boat's #)
    They dismissed school --- everyone was dumb struck !!!!!!!
    • 16795 posts
    November 22, 2013 4:59 AM PST
    I was in Mrs. Evanoff's Kindergarten class in Erie.
    They sent us home, my neighborhood was mostly Italian, very Catholic and very Democrat.
    It was like a family member had died.
    • 1855 posts
    November 22, 2013 8:38 AM PST
    I was 15 years old and in Freshman homeroom
  • November 22, 2013 10:03 AM PST
    I was in my crib crapping in my dipers
    • 1 posts
    November 22, 2013 11:50 AM PST
    I was 3 years old and probably getting my A$$ whooped for something
    • 3006 posts
    November 23, 2013 5:15 AM PST
    Its one of my earliest childhood memories.Being told school was being closed early,the president had been shot,and all the kids sent home,the memorial the week following at school and all the emotional stuff going on with the grownups.For some reason seeing the flag at half mast really alarmed me,it stuck out in my mind!!!
    Watching the documentary the other nite was perty eye opening too.
  • November 23, 2013 5:36 AM PST

Soph in HS. Home sick with a cold. Watched it all unfold on TV.
  • November 23, 2013 6:46 AM PST
    In Phoenix on leave following graduation from Marine Corps boot camp and Infantry Training Regiment (ITR). Heard it on the radio while listening to music.
    • 2 posts
    November 23, 2013 7:11 AM PST
    Just off of active of active duty & attending college. Was hanging around the music room & plunking on something when somebody came in and said “the President has been shot”

Assumed it must be just a grazing wound.

Went downstairs to the union to watch the TV. Everybody around me was yammering and thoroughly annoying me. Watched long enough to find out that it was assumed he was dead, then went back to the music room to get away from the yammering.
  • November 23, 2013 11:30 AM PST

Wow...it's such a shame you had to put up with all that yammering about President Kennedy being shot and killed.
  • November 23, 2013 10:06 PM PST
    I was in school, we got out early. Watched the whole funeral procession on tv when he was laid to rest.
  • November 23, 2013 10:44 PM PST
    I was in 3rd grade. It was a tragic loss. I remember watching it all on tv.
  • November 24, 2013 3:06 AM PST
    Working at an Airport
    • 9 posts
    November 24, 2013 7:33 AM PST
    I was four, but I remember it, like yesterday. My whole family fell to pieces. I'd never experienced that kind of thing, and as a young child, it was quite disconcerting. I tried to comfort my Mommy & Daddy, but all they could do was comfort each other. It was a very confusing, as I didn't understand. UNTIL...the funeral. And then the Life magazine, with full color photo's (Zapruder film) of the assassination. THEN...I understood.

Let's just say, it was a defining moment, in my childhood. And a whole lot of innocence was lost, in that time.

Ride Free
    Tweek
  • November 24, 2013 9:46 PM PST
    I was four and still have the scar, sitting in living room floor playing with a tonka truck and getting a severe burn on my back from a john deere space heater. Hearing mom cry not knowing why.