New Cage

• 1855 posts
    November 19, 2013 4:38 AM PST

Our 2004 Dodge Dakota is at 197,000 miles.  It's been main cage since we bought it new but I'm afraid it's getting towards the end of its days.  I'll keep driving it but I wanted Gypsy to have something that wouldn't cause me worry when she is driving. She takes frequent trips to the hospital to be with Granddaughter , Justine.  So, we got this......

photo 049.jpg

2014 Jeep Patriot.  Nice SUV, 4x4 on demand and priced a good deal lower than other SUV's.  Nothing fancy...4 cylinder...with no added bells and whistles.

• 5420 posts
    November 19, 2013 4:47 AM PST
    Very cool, really like the color!

I have had my Jeep Cherokee since 2005 and love it.
    • 846 posts
    November 19, 2013 7:21 AM PST
    Nice and yes the color is nice, Had a Jeep CJ5 and Cherokee, miss them both.
  • November 19, 2013 7:40 AM PST
    it's in very nice shape
    • 1855 posts
    November 19, 2013 8:01 AM PST
    Funny thing about the new vehicles; something none of us would put up with on our motorcycle. It's the orange peel affect in the paint job. And it's not just OUR new Jeep. It's every new vehicle on the lots. I'm truly amazed at what is coming out of some factories. I painted a bit years ago in my own little shop and I swear I would never have let anything like orange peel out the door. Check out some of the new cars on the lot. You'd be surprised.

BTW, Gypsy was .....years old on Sunday and this was her birthday present. And THAT'S just the kind of guy I AM!!! LOL

Peace
    • 5420 posts
    November 19, 2013 9:02 AM PST
    Gypsy is a lucky women.

You think the orange peel on all of the new cars is due to the restrictions on the type of paint they have to use now?
    • 1855 posts
    November 19, 2013 9:16 AM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    Gypsy is a lucky women.

You think the orange peel on all of the new cars is due to the restrictions on the type of paint they have to use now?

No I don't Lucky.  My uncle has a body shop in Rochester, N.Y.  He's one of the most sought after in the state.  He does complete custom paint jobs.  He does custom work for local Harley shops.  He's also painted and help restore the original bat mobile.

Then there's the jackwad that painted my Ford F250; a man in business for over 35 years and I could've done better with a spray can. 

For auto manufacturers, particularly Dodge and Toyota, it's  $$ saving to have a thin base coat and heavy lacquer.  My thinking is that it's in the lacquer.  I don't know but I'm going to find out tomorrow.

Peace