Time to give up BIG Apes

• September 27, 2013 11:55 AM PDT
     Well the Dragon had to finally admit he was to old for 18 1/2 inch Apes, I mean his arms were killing him, so he move into a more ride friendly scoot.
    Just purchased a 2013 Harley Street Glide, Gloss Black and Chrome. A week from Sunday (Oct 6th) he will put that concept to the test riding from Pigeon Forge to Fort Worth Texas for a visit......916 miles one way. Then down to San Antonio (5 hours) to visit his Grand Daughter which he has not seen. This has been one of those bucket list things I wanted to do before I'm to old to stay awake for more that 2 hours at a time. Long ride, just the bike, the road, and me. 

Stay safe everyone
    Night Dragon
  • September 27, 2013 12:21 PM PDT
    Sweet, Dragon has your new baby been named yet.Praying beautiful weather for your long haul trip.Thats a haul your going to enjoy.Stay safe and shiny side up from one of those crazy Texans....yee-haw get your ride on!
    • 5417 posts
    September 28, 2013 2:22 AM PDT
    That's a nice looking bike Dragon. Now you can just sit back and enjoy the ride.
  • September 28, 2013 5:39 AM PDT
    Time to relax. Enjoy the ride my friend
    • 1855 posts
    September 28, 2013 9:51 AM PDT
    Gotta say man; one sweet ride

Peace
  • cya
    September 28, 2013 11:15 AM PDT
    may the road rise to meet you
    the wind in your back
    the sun on your face and rains fall soft upon ur face
    till we meet again god hold you in the hollow of his hand
    • 1161 posts
    September 28, 2013 4:12 PM PDT
    Beautiful! Looks dang good, ND! I'm looking for a newer bike my self, my dad wants my current bike so he can learn to ride. I don't know who is more excited him or me. Lol. Keep the rubber side down my friend!
  • September 28, 2013 6:35 PM PDT
    Purrrrty
  • September 30, 2013 5:54 AM PDT
    Nice ride!! Now you can ride out to California and go to the Redwood Run with us next June.
    • 44 posts
    September 30, 2013 7:31 AM PDT
    Sweet looking ride test rode one last weekend wow what a machine ride safe keep us up dated from the rode
    • 5417 posts
    September 30, 2013 11:09 AM PDT
    wheels wrote...
    Nice ride!! Now you can ride out to California and go to the Redwood Run with us next June.

Yeah, what Terry said.... Ride out here and hang with us at the next year's Redwood Run!  Just a four day ride for a three day event, but that's nothing on the new machine :-)

• 844 posts
    September 30, 2013 11:24 AM PDT
    Guess were all looking for more comfy as we get older. Riding a Street Glide myself now and lovin it.
  • September 30, 2013 11:59 AM PDT
    Nice Ride Dragon enjoy the trip.
  • October 1, 2013 2:25 PM PDT
    Real sweet, but it could be just a little better. Think u would let me test it for a month or two?
    • 3006 posts
    October 4, 2013 6:37 AM PDT
    LOL yeah life is ruff on a new scoot,just rub it in why dont ya?!?!
    Hope your trip went well,give us the ride report,curious what your impressions are on it.
  • October 24, 2013 7:13 AM PDT
    The Dragon is back from Texas.........
    The ride to and from Texas had it's high points and low points. The 2013 Street Glide is a GREAT bike for long rides. I had my bags tied down on the passenger seat and when I hit some straight roads, I would set the cruse control and lean back on the bags, very comfortable. I ran into some rain in Little Rock Ark. at 1:00 Am in the morning, then stopped to put on my rain gear and off I went again. The ride took me through some very scenic areas to include Mountains in Tenn. Just west of Nashville you leave the Mountains for more flat lands. One way from my house to my Dad's place was 925 miles. While back home got to visit with family, friends, and of course my Grand baby who just happens to be a FOX, Is that cool to say for a 10 month old. I was in Texas two weeks and the ride back home was uneventful. Arrived back in Pigeon Forge safe and sound. There is a couple of things to consider on a long ride like this one.....
    1 Know how far you can travel on a tank of gas
    2 Know the areas where Deer hang out, and try to avoid that area at night
    3 Keep the cold weather / rain gear on top of the bag...easy to get to.
    4 Keep your CD's in a quick accessible pocket

All in all it was a great trip and a item on my bucket list I can mark off.

Ride safe
    Night Dragon
    • 5417 posts
    October 24, 2013 7:27 AM PDT
    Glad to hear you had a good, and more importantly a SAFE trip. Sounds like you are liking the new ride... I knew you would!

One more very important thing to add to the list... know you limitations on how long/far you can ride!!!! I can't say for sure fatigue caused our accident, but I had been riding PAST the point I should have and my reations and reflexes were certainly not where they should have been.

Now, your next trip should be the Pacific Ocean so we can finally have a drink together!!!!!!!
  • October 24, 2013 7:54 AM PDT
    Lucky you are correct on the amount of time in the seat. I was pushing pretty hard heading to Texas and I was so tired I started seeing Space ships overhead........yea I know crazy. So I stopped ate and had some Coffee and hit the road again. Funny after eating and rest the space ships went away....LOL

Dragon