exhaust burns..

• 1 posts
    April 12, 2013 12:09 PM PDT
    I been riding now since I was 12 yrs old...and over that time i have had a lot of burns from exhaust pipes..I was thinking about a time just this very mornin, when I took a friend for her first ride..I warned her about the exposed pipes on the ol HD..she still managed to scold her lower leg on the pipe..About an hour later my bike came home from repair..I jumped on and guess what I scolded my lower leg on the pipe...ship it hurts...lol. 
    • 9 posts
    April 12, 2013 12:27 PM PDT
    I burnt myself the first time...on RICE. Freakin' pipes on the wrong side. Some kinda basket-case REDO.
    REALLY? Freakin' garage mechanic wannabe.

And that...was the very last time I EVER wore short pants, on ANY kind of bike.

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 19037 posts
    April 12, 2013 12:56 PM PDT
    Short pants and Harleys, a painful combination.
    • 44 posts
    April 12, 2013 2:29 PM PDT
    You are right Rex them short sleeve pants will get you every time
  • April 13, 2013 3:46 PM PDT
    a nice pair of heavy denim jeans will solve those problems, if not, then take a slice of raw potato and put on the wound, when the potato warms up, replace it with another piece of potato, no it will not stop the burn but it will heal faster and no scars. stopping the burn is the pair of jeans. no shorts, people, they do not protect at all.
    • 2 posts
    April 14, 2013 4:50 AM PDT
    Have made about every mistake possible but have never burned myself on an exhaust, then again all but never wear short pants and never when riding.
    • 3006 posts
    April 14, 2013 7:01 AM PDT
    Got my first n only serious burn on a HD when I was 12 yrs old.Went for a ride with my oldest sis's b/f on his customized superglide? Wearing cutoffs,& got off the bike n bumped the pipe at my ankle.Talk about pain,I was a mess.Took 3 mo's to heal up.talk abt dumb...
    The strangest burn I ever saw, I took a lady for a ride on my new VTX.We stopped at a roadside mart for some soda's n snacks,when I came back out I noticed her staring at my ride n mentioned how nice the pipes looked reached over n put her fingers on it,I was like WTF?!?!?!?! n screamed at her to stop,even as she touched them,
    yep burned the hell outta her.Ran her home n packed ice on em,talk aout crazee,& no we were not high or anything!!!
    • 1161 posts
    April 14, 2013 8:08 AM PDT
    The first time I burned my self, I just riding around the block and something did not seem right. So I went home and started tinkering around and bam, my forearm hit the exhaust. Dang that hurt. But o well I got lucky it was like a sun burn so it was not a big deal.
    • 24 posts
    April 15, 2013 1:58 PM PDT
    Got my first and hopefully last burn about a week and a half ago practicing my riding in the parking lot. Too much idling time and I ended up with a second degree burn.. It's not getting any better so I'm heading to the doc this week.
    • 5420 posts
    April 15, 2013 5:42 PM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    Short pants and Harleys, a painful combination.

Sure don't!  I just burnt my leg last weekend.  Got back from a ride, went in and put shorts on and then into the garage to start pacing for my trip.  Threw my leg over the bike just to push it back in the garage and sure enough... burnt my leg.

• April 15, 2013 9:51 PM PDT
    Yep, did just like Lucky did and burnt my calf. Took 6 weeks to heal. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    • 1 posts
    April 16, 2013 1:14 AM PDT
    thats what i 'm talking about the mechanic pulled up in my front yard..came out with shorts on to move it bingo...I even had japanese safety boots on....flip flops as you call em....