Cylinder Head Cooler

• January 15, 2013 5:27 AM PST
    Thinking of purchasing this new fan it looks great fiannaly.  Need help is it working like they advertise or not. I will be putting it on Road Glide Ultra 2013.

JIMS® Forceflow Cylinder Head Cooler

"This smooth streamline design will keep your Twin Cam® running cooler on those hot July summer
    days in stop and go traffic. JIMS® R & D department has come up with a serious way to drop your
    head temperature by as much as 100 degrees. Although this mounts in the horn area JIMS has designed
    a horn relocater hidden inside the fan housing. The fan can be installed to be turned on and off
    manually or it can be regulated by a thermostat controlled sensor that monitors head temperature and
    activates the fan when engine temperature rises. This kit is highly recommended for performance
    motors to help extend engine life. Complete kit includes high powered fan, housing, horn, hardware
    and all wiring, along with detailed instructions."

• 1 posts
    January 15, 2013 7:54 AM PST
    Stan, The question of the HD v-twins running hot has come up here and everywhere else a lot. I always go back to the fact these motors were designed as air cooled and designed to run HOT. Sure things like syn lubricant and oil cools will lower that temperature a bit, but whether it is necessary or not is a whole other question.

To me this looks kind of like a gimmick product. I am sure under certain conditions they can get it to cool just like in that chart. But I can't imagine that when you are moving this could provide more air flow thru the fins than what occurs normally. And if you are stopped for that long... shut the dame thing off. It's just the push of a button to start it back up !
  • January 15, 2013 10:02 AM PST
    Love your reply Thanks. Normal riding is never an issue but there are those parts when you are stuck in traffic (Chicago) or doing a motorcycle parade..... It would be nice to have that addition if it works like they advertise. Additional comment how many times you had a fuel leaks out of the seals or vent due to heat. Gas expends if heated (full tank=trouble) on a hot day, cooling it would help. What was and is offer by HD just looks and works terrible and breaks down a lot.
  • January 15, 2013 10:28 AM PST
    Maybe if a had a built motor but never on a stock motor. Just my opinion. Btw I ride year round thru the deserts in my backyard and I overheat long before the 96cu. in V-twin motor
    • 5420 posts
    January 15, 2013 11:12 AM PST
    I guess if you spend a lot of time in traffic or parades it would be some help. Like Wheels said I to spend lots of time out in the desert in 110°+ and never had any heat related problems. But I do try to avoid sitting for any length of time with the motor running.

If you go for it I would be really interested to hear how well it works.
  • January 15, 2013 3:22 PM PST
    Nice to have at the sturgis rally. I think it's kinda spendy $420 at JP Cycle. Found a LeNale cooling fan on EBay for $229. They both look like a $9 computer case fan with a chrome housing.
    • 19040 posts
    January 15, 2013 9:49 PM PST
    Gonna go with Bailout and everyone else here. Air cooled engine is designed to be hot. As for the fuel expansion problem. Just don't top it off therefore allowing for expansion. In My (not so) Humble Opinion it is a gimmick that will give minimal return.
    • 1855 posts
    January 16, 2013 12:14 AM PST
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    Gonna go with Bailout and everyone else here. Air cooled engine is designed to be hot. As for the fuel expansion problem. Just don't top it off therefore allowing for expansion. In My (not so) Humble Opinion it is a gimmick that will give minimal return.

As for fuel expansion.  Ride it after toppingn off.

Peace
    • 834 posts
    January 16, 2013 2:50 AM PST
    Fred77 wrote...
    Nice to have at the sturgis rally. I think it's kinda spendy $420 at JP Cycle. Found a LeNale cooling fan on EBay for $229. They both look like a $9 computer case fan with a chrome housing.

That's probably what it is since computer case fans are all 12 v.  Guest the other $410 is for the housing!

Like a lot of the others said, looks like a gimmick.  Been riding air cooled v-twins here in Arizona forever and haven't had one die from heat exhaustion yet.  Normally the rider with suffer heat exhaustion before the Harley!

• 846 posts
    January 16, 2013 4:06 AM PST
    One thing to make sure on the 2009 and up touring models is do you have the parade mode on. If you sit a lot with parade mode on it will shut down the rear cylinder. Mine RK has it and it works like a charm in traffic and at stop lights. To activate you twist the throttle forward and hold for three seconds till you get a green light on the speedometer (I forgot the symbol).
    • 284 posts
    February 10, 2013 8:47 PM PST
    Cheapest 12V fans I have found were on grainger at about $50 for a 3 inch fan. Pretty much the same price larger or smaller, and that was water proof. Thinking about tinkering with a cylinder head cooling fan. So if you have 2 fans, you are in $100 for the Fans, not to mention wiring, temp sensors, auto on/off switch etc. $229 does not sound like a bad price.

Man was the Price off, best price I have found for this Cooling Fan is right around $400.

Here is another Cooling Fan Kit I found.  About $100 Cheaper but not as Stylish as the Jims but not bad lookin.

http://love-jugs.com/ />
  • September 4, 2013 12:51 PM PDT
    I live in South Carolina and went on a trip to Charleston in stop and go traffic on a 100 degree day. I had the rear cylinder disablement engaged on a 09 road king 103 kit with cams se air cleaner and pipes. I use synthetic oil this motor was knocking and pinging so bad I thought we would be trailering home. When I got home I did some research and saw some cheap looking fans. I came across the jims fan installed myself, came with great instructions. I ride everyday in the heat and this fan kicks on at 140 degrees. No more pinging while leaving a traffic light and the rear cylinder disablement is a thing of the past. Best money I ever spent. I bought it on amazon.
  • September 4, 2013 9:25 PM PDT
    I'm of the mind that the danger of overheating is not going to be alleviated by a blower that compares unfavorably to a hair dryer. The areas that would be most needful of supplemental cooling would be the upper end of the cylinders [that is where the slugs would like to seize if forced to]. The innocent little device pictured cannot possibly do a 360 degree coverage on two cylinders. About as effective as a fat lady exhaling before she gets on a scale. When was the last time anyone heard of a stock, broke-in, Harley that scuffed it's bores from stop and go riding?
  • September 5, 2013 3:24 AM PDT
    I wouldn't think a little computer fan like that would do a whole lot blowing on just one little area.
    • 844 posts
    November 6, 2013 9:56 AM PST
    I know this is old but just saw it. I can't believe that little fan could have any effect on cooling the cylinders.
  • November 26, 2013 9:52 AM PST
    get away from multi weight oils and go to straight weight. remote filters and oil cooler add lots of cooling and added capacity
  • December 12, 2013 7:36 AM PST
    a very good way to cool the top end is richen the fuel mixture. yeah your spark plugs need to be replaced sooner. forget EPA compliance. The engine will run cooler and last longer. Also it'll help big time to eliminate that exhaust pop when decelerating. Some will say yeah but you'll build carbon. carbon build up is not always a bad thing. It's what holds an old motor together. And with todays cleaner gas and oils it's not an issue, like the olden days.
  • December 19, 2013 9:02 AM PST
    I was thinking about one of those UNTIL I saw the ads for "Love Jugs" - google it for the website and some very impressive demos - I will be putting a set of these on before next summer.
    • 1855 posts
    December 19, 2013 3:23 PM PST
    Hey Dave. From one shovel head rider to another. The new bikes ain't nothin' like what we've experienced with our shovels. My EVO was different, a lot, from my twin cam. And my twin cam is a helluva lot different than the newer motors.

What amazes me is that folks buy these bikes that are for the road and end up spending most of their time tooling around. A dresser ain't meant for going to the grocery store and back. A roadking aint a light to light bike. If you buy a cruiser you need to cruise. Just sayin'