Why Didn't I Think of This

• 2 posts
    October 27, 2012 4:42 AM PDT
     Will try this on some lawn equipment over the winter & let you know.

• 3006 posts
    October 27, 2012 6:04 AM PDT
    What a kool idea.My question abt it is, from the video is the rimside you cant see where the bead broke free from?
    I would enjoy replacing my own tires if possible at home,mount balance etc..
    Thanks for the post !
    • 844 posts
    October 27, 2012 7:58 AM PDT
    No the bead is broken, how do you get the tire of and back on the rim?
    • 2 posts
    October 27, 2012 10:33 AM PDT
    GoFur wrote...
    No the bead is broken, how do you get the tire of and back on the rim?

Getting old tire off no problem at all - Just muscle it off with a couple of old style lug wrenches with the pointy ends, or with small craw-bars, or if you are city folks with store bought tools that don’t double as agricultural implements, tire irons. – Use dollar store dish detergent as a lube.

Getting the new tire on much bigger problem. – Used to muscle them back on with lug wrenches or craw-bars plus the aid of the old-lady and the kids. – The bigger the tire the more mechanical advantage needed. – Have even out muscled tractor tires (with the aid of a very large friend and (2) idiot bars + full size craw-bars) – And, oh yeh, dish detergent

About 20 years ago got a little smarter.  – Would pull the beads together using about 8 pieces of parachute chord and teamster hitches. With the beads together could just pop the tire on, Works with lawn equipment, doubt that it would with anything stiffer.

For something stiffer saw this on CycleFish someplace & bookmarked it.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299597

The ratcheting tie-downs would be great for making the bead too.

All this said, for my powdercoated wheels will probably farm the job out.

• 85 posts
    October 27, 2012 1:03 PM PDT
    using 2 heavy duty screwdrivers also works to remove the tire! Ive learned for replacement of ATV - 4 wheeler tires, take it to local tire store, they are not worth the battle,lol
    • 19034 posts
    October 28, 2012 12:28 AM PDT
    It is a good idea although I think that bead was already broken for the video.
    • 1855 posts
    October 28, 2012 1:17 AM PDT
    Personally? A lot to do about nothing. Seems to be way too much preparation just to do way too much work. If ya got any tools at all ya can make something a bit more permanent to do the job with a good deal less work. Besides, keep the economy goin' and take it to your local tire center.
  • October 28, 2012 2:26 AM PDT
    i agree jimmy,the shop i buy my tires they mount for free.and i know they done right.
    • 1 posts
    October 28, 2012 11:45 AM PDT
    I think this is the main reason that I only visit the USA in the warmer months, I can't imagine what I would do if I was stuck at home in a white out. I'd probably start posting stuff like above...or I'd relocate to florida with the birds for the big whiteout...then ride back next spring. On tires fitted at the tire centre.
  • November 19, 2012 4:20 PM PST
    i would just let the place i buy the tire from put it on but good idea
  • November 22, 2012 1:11 PM PST
    That is how I do it. Its not real hard getting a worn out tire off the rim tho,the real challenge is getting the newer,stiffer tire installed. Altho that parachute cord trick that 99 suggests sounds like it might work a lot easier than tryin to do one bead at a time!
  • November 23, 2012 1:36 AM PST

99Savage got it right, works with most motorcycle tyres...and y'know what...He also knows the best tool to do the job and make it a whole load easier too!!!

Dollar Store Dish Detergent!!!  Best tool in the box for a whole load of applications!!!

Go to any "Mechanic's Workshop" ... If he aint got dish detergent there go somewhere else!!!

I Buy Tyres - I Fit My Tyres - I Ride Happily - Total Cost =  Just The Tyres!!!

(just a small hint though, get a whole bottle of dish detergent poured into a suitable container that a small paintbrush can fit in...allow it to evaporate and get thicker-usually takes a week or so - and when left and it dries out just add a small amount of water each time to turn it more gooey than runny ok? oh and, leave the brush in it, lol, always ready for use then, no need to go find another one)

You know those coffee cups you get from the Gas Station? Get the large each time - keep the cup - it will hold dish detergent for AGES without losing integrity - and when it does, stick the whole cup and contents inside another one...lol... I have one with dish detergent in, one with Copper slip in, I have one with Molibdenum base grease in, I use them for paints, for oils, for temporary containers..... and as soon as you are finished with it chuck it in the bin, its disposable - nothing to wash up!!!!!

• 844 posts
    November 23, 2012 2:05 AM PST
    I still think my way is easier. I take my wheel and my new tire to the local independent shop, give them to the man along with 15 bucks, enjoy a free cup of coffee and go home 20 minutes later with my new tire mounted.
    • 5420 posts
    November 23, 2012 2:12 AM PST
      I do just about everything myself, but this is one I just take to the shop.  But then for me it's one of those things I do like every 9 months or so, so it just easier to have them do it.
  • November 23, 2012 8:25 AM PST
    At home and 20 mins and an air pump and satisfaction...lol...