Getting Your Motor Black Again

• 5420 posts
    October 18, 2012 10:40 AM PDT
    Anyone who has the flat black lower case on their motor (like me) knows that after a while it just doesn't look jet-black anymore.  It gets kind of dingy looking from the sun, crap from the road, overspray from cleaning stuff you use on the crome, etc.   I have tried everything to get it clean and looking new again but it seams like no matter what I cleaned it with, as soon as it dried it looked old and dingy again.

Well I found something that works... Turtle Wax Colored Polish (black of course).  I normally use this on the rare occassion that I wax my bike because if you get some in the cracks and crevices you can't get out it dries black and not chaulky white like other waxes and polishes.

I poured a little in a small dish and dipped a tooth brush in and brused the polish into all the black areas of my motor.  I wiped off the excess and the motor looks brand new again... Jet-Black, just like the day I got it.

Even after getting hot and even rained on, still black as night!!!

• 5420 posts
    October 18, 2012 10:46 AM PDT
    I didn't take a before picture, but here is one I found in another forum about my shift lever.

Big difference!!!

• 1 posts
    October 18, 2012 1:32 PM PDT
    I have always used s100 engine bright.. About once or twice a year
    • 19046 posts
    October 18, 2012 11:35 PM PDT
    I might have to check that out. Rex is still a shade of Moab red from that micro, nay, nano dust.
    • 544 posts
    October 19, 2012 1:36 AM PDT
    I get some great tips on products from this site. I recently read about Harley's Scratch and Swirl which I bought and applied to my sons headlight on his Taurus and it cleared up the lens greatly. Keep those product tips a coming!
    • 611 posts
    October 19, 2012 2:35 PM PDT
    Yep, Lucky... I use the same stuff... and it works good on black fibre trim on the truck. Just use care and keep it where it needs to be. Thanx for the tip tho!
    edgeman
    • 1 posts
    October 24, 2012 11:08 AM PDT
    Sounds good, I'll give it a try
    • 1 posts
    October 28, 2012 11:59 AM PDT
    thanks going to go look for it...but i bet they don't sell down under....
  • October 28, 2012 4:28 PM PDT
    Thanks for the tip. My bike's engine is entirely black
    • 834 posts
    November 14, 2012 2:35 AM PST
    I just love all the tips I find in this place.
  • January 6, 2013 2:51 PM PST
    Good tip! I'll look it for it next time I'm in auto store
  • January 12, 2013 1:40 PM PST
    ...the S100 for me on my 03 Fatboy and 07 Ultra. They get it a couple of times a season. Looks like new!
    • 834 posts
    July 18, 2013 1:01 PM PDT
    Finally tried this and it worked great.