Erratic Idle Issue on My Road King

• 5420 posts
    October 5, 2012 7:52 AM PDT
    For the past week or so it seems everytime I take the bike out it is idling at a differnet level.  Nothing outragous but just one time it will barely be idling high enoug to keep running and then the next time I ride will be idling a bit high.  It seams whichever it is doing, high or low, it does it everytime I idle until I shut it off and then the next time I start it up the idel will be a different level for the entire trip.

Any thoughts????
    • 1855 posts
    October 5, 2012 10:25 AM PDT
    Camshaft position sensor. O2 sensor.
    You're very welcome. :>)

Peace
    • 5420 posts
    October 6, 2012 11:32 AM PDT
    Is there a way to test the sensor? or is replacing it the only option?

Looks like they're only about $60, but don't want to spend $60 unless I know for sure.
  • October 8, 2012 8:26 PM PDT
    A dealer might read the error codes stored in the EFI controller for free, if they think they might get your business. Too many interdependent things can cause problems on these bikes to troubleshoot by guessing at individual components. I went with an aftermarket EFI control module that allows me to read my codes, PLUS has solved the HD factory lean running problem, allows me to change pipes, or cams, or filter, or throttlebody without a visit to the stealership.
    • 1 posts
    October 9, 2012 7:58 AM PDT
    Ok, I know this sounds simple but are you sure the throttle is returning all the way. Whle looking behind the air cleaner twist and release the throttle a few times and be sure the mechanism is hitting firmly on the idle stop screw everytime. (you should hear it tick)

And yes there is a way to determine a bad sensor via the error codes. As soon as I get my manuals unpacked I will post the procedure to read the diag codes in your odometer.
  • October 9, 2012 9:59 AM PDT
    do you have throttle by wire??.. if you do and your holding the throttle anywhere off the rest at start it can upset the "zero point" of the throttle sensor, which can cause erratic idle's.. to correct, turn of the bike, and restart 2-3 times without touching the the throttle at all...
    • 5420 posts
    October 9, 2012 10:05 AM PDT
    Nope I got throttle cables - which I guess we refer to now as the "old fashion kind"
  • October 9, 2012 10:28 AM PDT
    My 07 Streetglide has the same problem, usually after riding for a while and the engine is hot. Idle drops very low, need to keep giving it throttle to keep it running when stopping or downshifting. Very irritating & unsafe. Seems to correct itself after shutoff period or if I keep riding at steady speed. My dealer has no solution.
    • 5420 posts
    October 10, 2012 6:19 AM PDT
    Strange thing happened. Since I didn't want it idling so low at times it might stall, I adjusted the idle stop screw slightly to raise the idle. Figured I could live with the occassional high idle until I got it fix, but didn't want it to stall.

However since adjusting the idle stop up a little bit, it seams to now idle at a consistent rpm with no more variation???

I'll keep a close eye on it and let you know.
    • 19037 posts
    October 10, 2012 11:13 PM PDT
    Sounds like a good temp fix but me thinks there is an underlying problem that needs to be fixed. Good Luck Lucky (redundant repetitive statement).
    • 5420 posts
    October 11, 2012 5:46 AM PDT
    Maybe, or maybe I just overlooked the obvious and it wasn't sitting firmly on the idle stop screw at idle. I also slacked the throttle cable slightly.

I just found out how to check the error codes in the odometer and see no indication of a bad sensor.

We'll see what happens.
  • November 7, 2012 12:11 PM PST
    My scoot has exact same issue. It seems more pronounced if you ride it hard for short distances. Personally (and this is from related experiences with other types of vehicles) The ECM (computer)samples several things and does it several times a second. It samples air temp,engine temp, barometric pressure, throttle position, RPM,s etc. The resultant corrections to fuel regulation is what is termed as fuel mapping. Making all these adjustments constantly AND the fact the seasons are changing result in this condition. Whenever the engine wants to fall on its arse,ease it around the next few minutes and the condition fades as the engine cools and all the "sampling" settles down. This is what I have noticed with my own bike.
    • 19037 posts
    November 7, 2012 11:04 PM PST
    This is why I am still very glad Rex is Carb'd...