09' FLHTC Fly by wire throttle problems....

• September 18, 2012 11:03 PM PDT
    A little over a year ago, my 09' electra glide classic started shutting down to limp mode. Wasn't hot, just would not have any throttle response. Codes indicated it was a sensor problem. The twist grip throttle actuator unit was replaced and everything appeared to be good again. Now, some 8K miles later, the same problem again and it looks like another new unit will have to be installed.

Anyone else having similar issues??

Mike
  • September 19, 2012 4:08 AM PDT
    Do you jet wash it?
  • September 19, 2012 4:31 AM PDT
    No.....just old fashioned bucket, sponge and hose.
  • September 19, 2012 5:33 AM PDT
    had the exact same problem with my 09 ultra... turned out to be a bit of corrosion in the throttle plug socket at the carb... ya can find it without removing the air cleaner.. just behind air cleaner on rear side of carb about the middle... unplug it and plug it back in a few time.. if that fix's it.. then put some dielectric grease on it and it fixed...

wrench at the Twin Falls Harley shop in Idaho fixed it over the phone for me, said it was a common problem, as HD doesn't grease their electrical plugs...
  • September 19, 2012 7:35 AM PDT
    I think you are spot on there.......my buddy at the local dealership said they have had problems with the plug ends....tech bulletin has been issued requiring a replacement of the plug ends with new "silver" ends and application of a dielectric grease. Maybe this will get it solved....will know this evening.
    • 846 posts
    September 20, 2012 3:56 AM PDT
    From what I understand there where two different runs for the plugs used on the TBW. One set had a tighter tolerance then the other and that was some of the issue (since resolved). I've hear the same thing on the dielectric grease being the answer. I have a 09 FLPD keep waiting for the same thing to happen. Keep us up to date on whether that addressed it.
  • September 21, 2012 2:19 PM PDT
    Well....it's fixed....finally. Had to take it to a dealership to have it done. They Finally had to replace both the throttle body unit and the twist grip actuator. Replacing them singly did not fix it. Total bill...OUCH!! $811.40!!!!
    • 19040 posts
    September 23, 2012 12:30 AM PDT
    WOW!!! Now my old school dual cable and carb systems seems so much better.
  • September 23, 2012 10:57 PM PDT
    YEP....can remember the bikes I used to own that I could wrench myself.....sure a lot simpler!!
  • December 1, 2012 1:19 AM PST
    My 09 Ultra starting doing the same thing as the engine light would come on and no throttle response at all.Id shut it off for a couple minutes and it would be fine again,but lately its been getting worse.Ive had at 2 dealers and they had now luck fixing it yet :-(