DADDY LIKES

• August 20, 2012 4:06 AM PDT
    I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me trade in my 05 Honda Shadow Sabre for this,

http://www.csasuperstore.com/2003-Harley-Davidson-FLSTC-Heritage-Softail-100th-Anniversary-Tucson-Arizona-85711/3972217

Its not working though. I REALLY want a Harley, its been a dream of mine since I was a kid. What do you guys think? Is this a deal? Any advice on how to talk the wife into it?

• August 20, 2012 4:28 AM PDT
    That's a nice ride, and while I'm not fully up on the market it seems like a fair price. SInce it's edging into close of the season you can probably talk it down a bit. As for getting an OK from the boss, I'd suggest offering something she has coveted too. Why not both be happy?
    • 19034 posts
    August 20, 2012 4:38 AM PDT
    Looks real nice. About a grand over Kelly Blue Book estimated value so haggle. As for the wife what Ironhorsebiker said is good.
  • August 20, 2012 4:38 AM PDT
    I think the price could be lower after all its not your fault or the bike's fault no one wanted to ride the bike. I say look into auctions in your state for a Harley sometimes you can pick them up for 5,000 or less. The bike looks clean and I'm sure it was well maintaned but when bikes sit for long peroids of time and haven't been ridden they usually have all sorts of little weird issues, one is leaky gaskets though not bad just PIA stuff, sometimes the tires beging to dry rot, and after all the bike is almost 10 years old and was bought for 17,000 or maybe 19,000. Look in the blue book and compare what a bike of that year ought to go for, after all just cause that owner thinks he has something speical and rare don't mean it is special and rare, therefore why pay the owners value price when the bike's true value in the open market is much less. Also be sure to get all the orginial parts along with the bike, heritages come with back rests luggage racks, saddle bags and windsheild so ya should have to pay more for these little extras. Just a few thoughts. have a great day! ""T
    • 5420 posts
    August 20, 2012 4:48 AM PDT
    Nice looking bike.  The price is okay, but I would think you should be able to get a better deal in this economy or get this seller down a bit.

As for talking your wife into it... can't help you too much on that one.  I would say to tell her how great she would look on it, but your Shodow is already a sweet looking bike so you'll need to come up with something else.

Or when all else fails you could always use my theory the
    "Forgiveness is easier to get than Permission"!!!
  • August 20, 2012 5:23 AM PDT
    lol Thanks for the advice guys.
  • August 20, 2012 5:37 AM PDT
    Oh man... I have a soft spot for those Deluxes... either that or a Roadglide Custom will be my next bike. Dont know what the HD market is like in AZ but here in KS that seems like a pretty good deal. If you could talk them down then that would be even better. As for convincing the wife dont make it a contest. Because one person gets something doesnt mean the other should get something of equal value or anything at all. Especially when making a (what I consider) somewhat big financial decision like purchasing a vehicle. Sit down with her, go over your finances, go over pros and cons, the two of you should be comfortable with the decision. This way it wasnt just you that decided but both of you. Nothing is worse than having your spouse hold something over your head later on...
  • August 20, 2012 5:52 AM PDT
    Heh.. just realized a made a mistake... From the looks of it I thought it was a Deluxe but reading the ad its a Heritage Softail... not much of a difference really, this one is set up like a Deluxe. Thought I would correct myself before someone else did...
    • 1855 posts
    August 20, 2012 8:18 AM PDT
    Yep. Nice bike. Decent price but ya can haggle. As for the rest? I'd just put my foot in my mouth.

Peace
  • August 20, 2012 9:33 AM PDT
    Nice bike but a little pricey! In my personal opinion I would rather have one of the big metric touring bikes that probably would be alot less money. But if thats what you want then don't let anyone stop you from reaching one of your dreams in life.We only live once after all. Good Luck Buddy
  • August 20, 2012 9:34 AM PDT

I did it once.....I told her indoors to shut up and not make a fuss when I went and got the bike I wanted.....

I didn't see her for a week..........

but its all ok...the doctor said "it will only take a week for the swelling to go down on both my eyes!!!"

• 544 posts
    August 20, 2012 9:45 AM PDT
    Good looking bike! See if you can make a deal. Shoot them an offer.
    • 844 posts
    August 20, 2012 10:34 AM PDT
    Looks like a pretty good deal to me. I've seen plenty of bikes in that age range with 15-30,000 miles going for around the same price. The KBB on low mileage vehicles is always low, so you need to determine if the bike is worth it and I think it is.

Just tell your wife that we all took a vote and she lost :-)
    • 1780 posts
    August 20, 2012 11:18 AM PDT
    Remember it's always easer to ask for forgiveness than permission.........LOL....Trust me (I KNOW) get the Commanders blessing first, and your life will be as smooth as silk.
    Night Dragon
  • August 20, 2012 12:06 PM PDT
    Nice ride....I would be very cautious even if the lady of the house gives her blessings.I'm not to trusting of very low mileage bikes, even at the right price.I've had way too many friends that have had buyers remorse only after a couple of hundred miles.Same friends had mechanics check them out prior to the sale and all fluids changed prior to their first outing.I'd be proud to ride that HD, but remember the maintence cost way more than your Honda.If your still wanting it badly, tell your sweetie the Honda will be her bike ;-)
  • August 22, 2012 8:51 AM PDT
    Well I finally talked the old lady into it. Called the dealership to tell them I was on my way to look at it and start the process and was told that it was already sold. FML Thats just my luck.
  • August 22, 2012 9:17 AM PDT

• August 22, 2012 11:34 AM PDT
    That happened to me with a new truck purchase a couple of months ago, except I had already gone to my bank to make sure I could roll a smaller loan into the truck loan.My banker said, "Go drive it over here, so we can finalize the paperwork." I showed up looking stupid when they told me they sold it just a couple hours prior! I had told them my banker was doing the paperwork, guess they thought I was just pulling their chain....jerks;-(
    • 9 posts
    August 22, 2012 2:57 PM PDT
    Shop around man. I know it's tempting to get the one your heart "beats" for. But there's always another deal just waitin' on YOU. And my 2 cents on the wife thing? Well, I told my old man to get a Harley, when he really wanted somethin' else (but didn't say so). And I never heard the end of that. Talk it over...HONESTLY. Tell her what you REALLY want, then give her a minute to digest. But, DO take her for a ride on the back of the Harley. Once she feels that special vibe, only a Harley can put out, it'll be a done deal. Trust me.
    Course, then, she'll prolly want one of her own...

Ride Free
    Tweek
  • August 22, 2012 4:19 PM PDT
    I wish ya the best on getting your dream bike. My wife understands my passion for motorcycles from when we first married. I'd been off one for quite a long time, and I think she saw the longing in my eyes when we/I got the one I'm on currently. Now it's time to trade up. She knows I'm going to get one eventually, plus, she realizes the new sport/touring rig will be more comfortable for her. Uhm, make sure the wife realizes how much more comfy it will be for her :-) Most women will go with ya if you talk to them about it, and they realize that this one will last you a LONG time. Good luck ^5
  • August 23, 2012 9:02 AM PDT
    DAMN! I found another awesome looking one!

http://www.csasuperstore.com/2005-Harley-Davidson-FLSTN-Softail-Deluxe-Tucson-Arizona-85711/3997014 />
    Too bad its out of my price range. Anyone want to contribute to the Celtic needs a Harley fund? lol
    • 9 posts
    August 23, 2012 9:10 AM PDT
    HEY!!! Me first...lol

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 844 posts
    August 23, 2012 9:40 AM PDT
    Can barely afford to put gas in mine so can't really help except by throwin' my 2 cents in

I wouldn't fret about that being out of your range, 'cause it's over priced! That bike was probably $15k new and even though there are a few goodies on it, I don't think its worth what it cost new at 7 years old and 15,000 miles.

Keep lookin' man, you'll find YOUR bike