New and looking to buy soon

• July 31, 2012 12:47 PM PDT
     Hey everyone, I'm Dave and I sell Harley related stuff for the home from my website. I'm from Northern California and have become pretty obsessed with all things Harley-Davidson lately. Probably  a side effect from my business and looking at these beautiful machines on a daily basis...it's gets into your head after awhile.

I'm looking at getting an Iron 883 soon, either new or used, haven't decided yet but I notice the used ones aren't much cheaper though. I love this bike, has that simple old school look to it and I think a good starter for someone like me. Anyone here have one? Any thoughts good or bad about this model?

I've got my free business profile up already, but will also start running banner ads here too, so help a brother out and buy some cool Harley stuff from me. It's not like I'm trying to sell you insurance...these are cool items you would want to buy anyway!
    • 16825 posts
    August 1, 2012 5:34 AM PDT
    Hello from the Lake Erie region of Pennsylvania.
  • August 1, 2012 7:36 PM PDT
    Well at least one person welcomed me. A little quiet here I guess.
    • 19034 posts
    August 1, 2012 10:12 PM PDT
    Welcome from the 'at large' member to the Best Damn Biker Site on this here web thing.
  • August 1, 2012 10:41 PM PDT
    Hello and welcome from Minnesota.
  • August 2, 2012 2:46 AM PDT
    Welcome Dave! Looks like you do have have pretty cool Harley stuff. Wish I had the funds and room for one of those jukeboxes, but I think there are a few items that fit my budget. As for the 883, it's a good place to start. Definitely has those classic Harley lines, is an easy bike to maneuver, and with some customization can be made your own. Go for it!
  • August 2, 2012 3:06 AM PDT
    Quiet? In here? With me around???

I dont think so.....lol.....

Welcome from the other side of the known Universe...
    • 2 posts
    August 5, 2012 7:05 AM PDT
    Welcome from the Finger lakes area of NY

Not the ride I would choose but I like motorcycles because everybody can choose THEIR ride - besides my wife says never to listen to me.
    • 658 posts
    August 5, 2012 7:19 AM PDT
    Hi Dave and welcome to the "quiet" site from NC.... Bahahahaha!!!!! Just hang around you'll see.

Medic
  • August 5, 2012 9:20 AM PDT
    hey from florida. Well my truth to you is this it depends on you if a sporty is a good bike to start with or not. A sportster is the sportcar of the harley line up, its designed to be quick and nibble and will beat almost all big twins off the line in a 1/4 mile 1/2 mile race there are some factors to that operator confidence is one. They are easily punched out to 1200 and even after you punch it out insurance will be less costly cause as far as the world knows its an 883. But in the end ya got to go sit around see if it suits you. Just cause ya want it doesn't mean its going to be comfortable for you and sometimes no matter how much customization ya do it just ain't comfy, so ya must consider that. Also consider the type of riding you may or may not be doing, longer trips, long ride just bar to bar ought to be taken into concideration. Always think long and hard first, then go out and find the bike that fits the need, not the need that ya force to fit the bike. Good Luck to ya and have a great one! "T"
  • August 5, 2012 3:20 PM PDT
    Hiya from South Arkansas
  • August 6, 2012 7:40 AM PDT
    Hey from So Cal. and as far as the 883 goes is this your first bike? Or are you simply buying a cheap Harley? There are tons of bikes out there new and used for the same cost of an 883 sportster and I would own lots of them before buying the Harley.Just my opinion!!
    • 79 posts
    August 6, 2012 12:19 PM PDT
    Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy being on here as much as we do!

Ride safe when you get one.
  • August 6, 2012 12:35 PM PDT
    Tumbles wrote...
    hey from florida. Well my truth to you is this it depends on you if a sporty is a good bike to start with or not. A sportster is the sportcar of the harley line up, its designed to be quick and nibble and will beat almost all big twins off the line in a 1/4 mile 1/2 mile race there are some factors to that operator confidence is one. They are easily punched out to 1200 and even after you punch it out insurance will be less costly cause as far as the world knows its an 883. But in the end ya got to go sit around see if it suits you. Just cause ya want it doesn't mean its going to be comfortable for you and sometimes no matter how much customization ya do it just ain't comfy, so ya must consider that. Also consider the type of riding you may or may not be doing, longer trips, long ride just bar to bar ought to be taken into concideration. Always think long and hard first, then go out and find the bike that fits the need, not the need that ya force to fit the bike. Good Luck to ya and have a great one! "T"

I agree with Tumbles Welcome to CycleFish..

• 1855 posts
    August 6, 2012 11:30 PM PDT
    Can't believe I missed this. Welcome from w central Ohio. Tumbles has the insight.

Peace
    • 80 posts
    August 7, 2012 2:47 AM PDT
    Welcome from VA. Tumbles told it like it is. I would recommend that you obtain a MC endorsement on your driver's license if CA requires it by completing the MSF basic riders course first. You can then demo ride any HD model on the floor in a Harley shop. You may find that your choice changes. Take your time so there are no regrets. It becomes a permanent lifestyle for most.
    • 544 posts
    August 7, 2012 3:00 AM PDT
    Welcome Biker At Home! You can't go wrong with a Harley. Again, welcome from Missouri.
    • 846 posts
    August 8, 2012 5:00 AM PDT
    Well welcome from the Northeast (Massachusetts). As for the bike if it fits you and your comfortable then great. Nothing beats two wheels.
    • 58 posts
    August 9, 2012 3:48 AM PDT
    Welcome to Cyclefish! I reiterate what others have already said. Get your endorsement, then go shopping. One of the things discussed in the class is the different ride styles and types of rides. And, you get to learn on someone else's bike. When you go shopping, don't look at just Harleys. Look at them all, sit on them, rock them, demo ride if you can. I took a family friend out shopping. She WANTED a Harley so that was the first place we went but we didn't stop there. She ended up with a Suzuki 650 at the top of her list.
    • 3006 posts
    August 9, 2012 11:20 AM PDT
    Hey Dave
    Welcome & good post too.One thing thats important before buying, how long have ya been riding for?
    lots of good advice on this site.As for what bike to choose thats entirely up to you. Test ride a few if possible?
    • 9 posts
    August 10, 2012 12:37 AM PDT
    Welcome Dave! Just gotta tell ya, I'm a little envious of your "stay-at-home" profession. And I'm all about the Harley-envy! I'm hopin' to get a bike (coincidentally, an 883-1200 conversion). I've owned two 1200's and I gotta tell ya, that for the little price difference, I'd advise you to get the 1200. It's only a little more "tweek'd, but for the money, there's a whole lot more to love, RPM wise. Get yourself a Nightster, or a Seventy-two, if you're lookin' to buy NEW. If your more comfortable gettin' "broken-in" on used, get a Custom Sportster. And by all means, get yourself to an MSF class FIRST. That will make all the difference, on any ride you get. Welcome to the club, brother! Once it gets into your veins, it's there, for LIFE!

Oh, and "HI"...I'm Tweek, and I hale from OHIO, but I reside in NE Florida. Closer to Daytona, that way. lol

Ride Free
    Tweek
  • August 11, 2012 12:50 PM PDT
    Thanks for all the great advice everyone, especially Tumbles, that was very helpful. I haven't ridden a long time, and it was only dirt bikes, I think my step dad getting in a bad motorcycle accident when I was young kind of put me off them for a long time, but he was also a reckless driver so I have to put that in perspective.

I like the Iron 883 because of price, but also the look and feel of it. Tweek, I don't plan to be a speed demon out there so I don't think a 1200 would be necessary for me. I live in a city where I pretty much walk everywhere, so this would be for just quick trips around town, and maybe hop on the freeway to see my fam, most of which live an hour away.

Although I like the old school look of the Iron 883, I do need to test drive one with forward pedals because I'm 6'4" so I need to make sure I can ride comfortably. I'll keep you all updated when I take the plunge!
    • 85 posts
    September 11, 2012 11:21 PM PDT
    Hello from N. Georgia if you decide to buy used check out E-Bay , I got a really good deal on my bike and seen many more!
  • September 12, 2012 12:21 AM PDT
    Hello from KS!
    I would say that you should find a bike that suits your riding style and build. What I have noticed is that allot of people outgrow their 883s fairly quick.
  • September 12, 2012 1:44 AM PDT
    Sir, even with forward controls 6' 4" on the 883 you will feel like a circus bear riding that bike! have a great one! "T"