missouri

• July 3, 2012 6:40 AM PDT
    We  just got home from a little trip to St Joseph, MO.  (didnt get to bring the bikes).  But  I noticed something that I have never seen in Iowa,   (maybe  just missed it ,  not sure),  all the lit up signs  on the interstate  said  " share the road with motorcycles, MO DOT cares. " unless  they had to say things  like an accident ahead  or something .  Lots of signs around,  billboards etc  to make people aware,  thank you Missouri.   I like to hope other states do too.
  • July 3, 2012 8:37 AM PDT
    State of me birth:-)
  • July 19, 2012 9:11 AM PDT
    I'm biased because I worked for MoDOT for seven years before changing gears and moving north, but MoDOT was always big on promoting safety for the traveling public. Lots of things like that, including PSAs on seatbelt usage and etc. I'm not sure all of it would be agreeable to folks here (they are pro-seatbelt and pro-helmet and will make sure you know it), but in general their hearts are in the right place.
    • 5420 posts
    July 19, 2012 10:14 AM PDT
    Those and signs similar to that like "Watch for Motorcycles" are popping on electronic signs around the country (including here in California too) anytime there are no emergency or traffic messages to post. I have even seen more permanent signs on the road side.

For the most part you can thank the states Motorcycle Rights Organizations (like ABATE, etc) and Motorcycle Safety Groups for working hard with their states legislators to get those signs!

Maybe you should send a letter to your state representitives and as why they have them in MO and not in Iowa !!!
    • 1 posts
    July 20, 2012 3:21 AM PDT
    I see these signs popping up everywhere...especially in this country..They are doing the same stuff at home..bout time too...we pay our fair share of road taxes and cages need to know this while texting..shaving and or combing the hair...instead of concentrating on the task at hand.
    • 844 posts
    July 20, 2012 1:41 PM PDT
    What about pedestrians, kids on bikes, and other cars? Maybe the sign should just say WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING.

Oh wait, they won't see the sign if they're texting.

Just joking. I think its great that they remind all drivers that there are motorcycles on the road and we are small so make an extra effort to look for us!
    • 81 posts
    July 20, 2012 11:09 PM PDT
    dollysgizmo wrote...
    We  just got home from a little trip to St Joseph, MO.  (didnt get to bring the bikes).  But  I noticed something that I have never seen in Iowa,   (maybe  just missed it ,  not sure),  all the lit up signs  on the interstate  said  " share the road with motorcycles, MO DOT cares. " unless  they had to say things  like an accident ahead  or something .  Lots of signs around,  billboards etc  to make people aware,  thank you Missouri.   I like to hope other states do too.

Your right. I dont havent seen any in western Iowa or eastern Nebraska. For that matter I  havent seen any in North eastern Iowa either. Unless you count all the ones that buisnesses have or that property owners put up.