Riding in triple digits

• July 2, 2012 3:35 AM PDT
    they make shirts for stock car racing that are cooled with water

• 5420 posts
    July 2, 2012 3:43 AM PDT
    We ride in 100° + weather all the time, but its out here in the desert, not in the humid south. First thing I find in the desert heat is too keep your body covered - I normally wear a long sleeve white t-shirt. The hot air blowing over your skin will dehydrate you faster and it is also very uncomfortable. Of course drink lots of fluids while in this type of heat - dehydration will sneak up on you and before you know you it you are getting dizzy and a chance of blacking out. I always travel with a bottle of water within reach and 4 or 5 extras on the bike just in case there are any problems. Don't want to be stuck on the side of the road in 100° weather with no water!

I have tried wetting my shirt and skull cap, but that's just a waste of water in the desert... you fell cool for about 5 minutes then it's completely dried out!
    • 846 posts
    July 2, 2012 4:27 AM PDT
    Through we don't get many hot days here in the Northeast during the summer months when it does hit the 90's and 100's I carry at least 3 qt of water.

But the one think I haven't see yet is sun screen. Now I'm not a big fan of sun screen so this is not a your mamma told you to moment. You see I've been in the sun most summer with none for quite sometime now. Hat yes but sun screen no. Now wearing a half helmet has left my nose exposed to the sun and I've done a job of sun damage to it over the years. Now it shows some sun damage in the skin and I now have a tube of sun screen in the saddle bags. I know its like closing the barn after the cows have gotten out I know. No long rides with out it anymore.

So take care of the exposed skin to the sun where ever you are.
    • 1780 posts
    July 2, 2012 8:10 AM PDT
    Probably going to start a shit storm with this reply......but at what time does it stop becoming Riding in the wind, and turn into a two wheel car. I can just feel the barbs coming but.......If you fought off the elements with Electric Thermals , battery operated warmers in your gloves, and boots,and heated seats, why not just drive your car with the warmth and protection of the car. I'm not saying I'm hard core and ride in 30 degree weather with a T-shirt and jeans on....I'm just saying the whole concept of riding Motorcycles goes back to the days where all these battery operated devices were not throught of. Yes it was hot back in the day as well and they delt with that issue the best way they could. Seems like we are stripping away the core valures of being a different kind of cat from the rest.
    I believe (and I know someone will correct me) later model Gold Wings even are equipmented with air bags.
    Hell I think I will just stop here and wait for the FALL OUT
    Night Dragon
  • July 2, 2012 10:50 AM PDT
    Were gonna be riding out across the desert in a few weeks on a 8hr one way ride to Mormon Lake which is just south of Flagstaff Arizona. If you would like to join us for a lovely days ride in the 115 degree weather let me know. We will be leaving the 26th early in the am. Hey look at it; like its a chance to test out everyones theories about riding in the heat. Stay cool and hydrated this summer everyone!!!!
    • 1855 posts
    July 2, 2012 12:42 PM PDT
    NightDragon wrote...
    Probably going to start a shit storm with this reply......but at what time does it stop becoming Riding in the wind, and turn into a two wheel car. I can just feel the barbs coming but.......If you fought off the elements with Electric Thermals , battery operated warmers in your gloves, and boots,and heated seats, why not just drive your car with the warmth and protection of the car. I'm not saying I'm hard core and ride in 30 degree weather with a T-shirt and jeans on....I'm just saying the whole concept of riding Motorcycles goes back to the days where all these battery operated devices were not throught of. Yes it was hot back in the day as well and they delt with that issue the best way they could. Seems like we are stripping away the core valures of being a different kind of cat from the rest.
    I believe (and I know someone will correct me) later model Gold Wings even are equipmented with air bags.
    Night Dragon

Kind of falls in line with trailering doesn't it.

Peace
  • July 2, 2012 8:56 PM PDT
    NightDragon wrote...
    Night Dragon

Goldwings in UK ARE fitted already with airbags!!! (as are many other huge full fairing cruisers from other companies)

ALSO :  ALL Motorcycles for the European market must be fitted with ABS (Anti-lock Braking Systems), and Traction Control, and a stability regulator (to be determined).....

I am not sure exactly when all this crap starts, but I think its 2015...
    You are going to love this one mate.....one of the EC Directives states that all motorcycles manufactured for use within the EU are to be fitted with airbags, by the bars or fuel tank depending on make and model and in fairings for legs for sports bikes, if a front seat has a backrest it must be fitted with an airbag for the pillion. ALL riding gear (Leathers etc) MUST be fitted with airbags at ankle, knee, hip, waist, rib, shoulder, elbow and wrist...Gloves must also have airbags across the knuckles, I am just trying to find which directive it is, and there is so many now regarding motorcycles, trikes, and quads.....I will update when I find it all...

IF YOU RIDE IN FRANCE : You have to carry spares for Every bulb, you must carry a toolkit comprising every tool you would need to fix anything that may go wrong, every wrench and screwdriver for every nut bolt and washer on your machine, you have to carry breakdown warning triangle, you must carry a single use portable device for breath testing before riding, you must carry a spare single test breath tester before proceding further, ANY failure on ANY part of the above (and there is lots more than I listed here) will result in confiscation of motorcycle, detention until someone rectifies the situation on your behalf, massive fines, possible temporary imprisonments.....

EVERYONE I know who goes through Europe now crosses via Belgium or Holland's ports, or does the run to the South via Northern Spain ... no-one wants to go through France anymore.....I WONDER WHY?????

There is so much more happening regarding Motorcycles in England too.....a New Licencing system...for anything over 125cc from Jan 2013 you will need to take THREE (3) separate Driving tests to get anything bigger... for the up and coming kids it will be : 1st licence, Provisional Licence,(Minimum 16yr old) stage one(general learner permit) only to 50cc and limited to 30mph, this must be replaced every 2 years if no test is taken within that time period, the first test is a 3 part test, perception testing-written test-then practical road test...ONE fail point is a FAIL!...2nd stage licence, (min 17yr old), 125cc, same limitations as above, after passing the required testing on the 125cc machine you are then required to remain on a machine for 2 years that is a restricted 33hp machine, then you have the next step of doing it all again including some manoueveres that even I would find difficult (not impossible-I have done them), after that 3rd test you may proceed onto larger bikes.....

You wanna come live here now ...dont ya??????
    • 9 posts
    July 2, 2012 11:31 PM PDT

OFFS!!!  All this "regulation" means one thing, MORE $$$ for the "government" tryin' to enforce it!  It has little to do with "our" safety.  Sure, under the guise of safety, on paper, it looks like a duck, right?  But boil it down, and it's just the stinkin' FAT.  Their wallets...not ours.  So, along with taxin' the bejeepers out of alcohol, cigarettes, and GASOLINE...now they're tryin' to regulate enjoyment.  And not too many, are goin' to be able to afford much of that anymore, with all this BS goin' on.  We ought to stay on top of this sheit, folks.  Cause, here in America, we have the option of voicing our concerns with the political establishment.  Cause if we don't?  That's OUR future. 

OH, HELL NO!!!   

Ride Free 
    Tweek

The pic wouldn't load correctly...the meaning's the same.

• 2685 posts
    July 3, 2012 1:22 AM PDT
    What a beautiful ride to work this morning. It's been over 100 everyday for a week here now and this morning it was 70 on the way in. This is the way it should be.
  • July 3, 2012 1:52 AM PDT
    I'm surprised that no one mentioned the cool vest. I got one at my local cycle gear lats year before my Vegas trip & I'm glad I did! It works lie a swamp cooler for your body, just soak it in water (I kept a large ziploc bag with me so I could soak it), put it on & ride! As you go through the wind, it evaporates the water & cools you off. I could feel the cooled blood from my upper body pumping up through my helmet! Works great, I think they're like 40 or 50 bucks, well worth it considering it was 115 degrees in Vegas. Check 'em out!
    • 5420 posts
    July 3, 2012 1:58 AM PDT
    I have seen those and have thought about trying them but didn't know how long they would stay damp in the desert.
    • 658 posts
    July 3, 2012 3:09 AM PDT
    I was 104 on our trip to Lake Lure. I hydrated the day before all day. I rode with my vest to capture the air and move it around my back and sipped water along the way. Thank God for cup holders. We stopped more and drank COOL water. Too much Cold water causes the stomach to contract and spasm. The salt and sugar mixture is good. One back seat rider with us showed up in shorts, tank top and flip flops. Then she couldn't understand why she couldn't get cool and was having a hard time. really? not enough clothing to promote evaporation. We all had fun anyway.
    Be careful out there heat related illness is nothing to play around with.

Medic
  • July 3, 2012 4:47 AM PDT
    I have leather pouches mounted on both sides of my bike in front of the saddlebags, so I can always have a bottle of water at the ready. However, since they are BLACK leather, the water doesn't stay cool very long! So, I save my water bottles, preferably the ones with the sippy-top (sport bottle), and fill them half full and freeze them. Then, before I ride, I top them off from the tap, and the water stays cool from the ice, and as the day goes on, the ice melts but I have a constant supply of cold water.

I think the addition of salt might be a good thing, too. I am going to try that, since I have had moments in the past few weeks where I suddenly feel lightheaded and weak. One day I even dropped the bike...one of those abrupt stops when I cager did something unexpected and stupid, and my front wheel was already turned and I over-reacted grabbing the brake. What surprised me the most was how my leg just buckled under the weight of the bike...I can usually keep it from falling over when it gets out of shape like that, but I wasn't having a good day that day!
    • 2 posts
    July 3, 2012 3:32 PM PDT
    The things Jetman mentions are coming to to a legislative body near your as inexorably as a rocket sled on ice rails.

When everybody pays for everybody else s health care, everything becomes everybody s business. - When they are reaching into their wallet to fix you if you get broken they think they have a right to keep you healthy. - There is no way around that logic.

A publicly administered health care system & risky recreation can not coexist for long.
    • 834 posts
    July 13, 2012 11:52 AM PDT
    Like Lucky said earlier best thing you can do when in the hot sun is cover up. Light white cotton works the best. If you have enough water with you wet your sleeves often and it will make you feel cooler over all. You can also were a bandana and keep it wet. The type with the thick cotton band work best because the hold water for a bit.

And of course drink lots of water... I have lived in the desert my entire life, and spend almost all of my free time outdoors and found that water works just as well as any of these new over priced drinks that are supposed to be better than water.
  • July 13, 2012 8:59 PM PDT
    The reason for me mentioning the mix I suggested is to negate the use of those grossly overpriced "Health Drinks", apart from a bit of colour and flavour and possibly bubbles all they contain per pint is ONE TEASPOON SALT...ONE TABLESPOON SUGAR.....

...and like I said, per pint of body fluid that is the approximation of salts and sugars.....so using a salt and sugar balance in the quantities I suggested is a direct replacement for your energy loss and sweat.....

.....It Aint Rocket Science.....
    • 9 posts
    July 14, 2012 12:21 AM PDT

Livin' down here, in the Sunshine State, you either get acclimated, or you live indoors.  When I first moved here, I used to marvel at the people I would see, dressed in long-sleeves, workin' out in the heat of the day.  At that time, I had a black Z28, with black interior, and a broken air conditioner.  I didn't have my Harley, yet, so I had to endure the commute to work.  Thankfully, it was only a 20 minute, drive up I-4.  It never failed, comin' home tho, that a wreck on I-4 would turn the highway into a parking lot.  I got "acclimated" in a hurry doin' that for two years.  And it didn't take long to understand, that the clothing, does help, when you spend large amounts of time in the sun.  Not only, does it deflect the UV/UB rays off of your skin, it helps to reduce the heat you "feel".  Mostly, white, long-sleeved cotton.  I've learned a lot, too, since that trip to Gainesville. (*see other post) Dressing accordingly, can make all the difference in the world.  And Jet, I tried your magic recipe, whilst cuttin' the grass in 90 plus degree weather, the other day.  I must say, I didn't feel half bad, afterwards.My arms hurt, cause the damn thing was a B***H to start, but other 'en at?

Ride Free 
    Tweek

• July 14, 2012 2:39 AM PDT
    Thanks Tweek, no magic involved, no matter what you are doing out in the sun you are draining off your blood sugars at an amazing rate, sweat accounts for salt loss, and the costs of these "Miracle" drinks is stupid when you think that all thats different from the stuff I make up is colouring and flavouring and bubbles...lol...I know which one I prefer...lol... Try dropping a small amount of Mint Leaves in it too, or "Real" Florida orange juice...that stuff is good for you too...lol...

Salt added to water on its own is no good, sugars added to it on its own is also no good, but try this...

When you have made it up just right, and its at body temperature, you should not actually be able to taste the salt or the sugar, you know its there, but, it seems almost impossible to taste it.....