Packing a Military style cot to Sturgis

• June 15, 2012 4:13 AM PDT
     I remember when I was IN the Army these were a life saver, so I think I'm going to strap one on the scooter for Sturgis this year. Anybody ever travel with a cot? Pro/Cons?
    • 1855 posts
    June 15, 2012 5:00 AM PDT
    Yep..........no cons about it if ya got the room to pack it.

Peace
    • 846 posts
    June 15, 2012 7:17 AM PDT
    Jimmyacorn wrote...

Peace

I second that if you got one and there's room pack on the bike if not ship it ahead. 

• June 15, 2012 7:23 AM PDT
    Chaz wrote...
    Jimmyacorn wrote...

Peace

I second that if you got one and there's room pack on the bike if not ship it ahead. 
    Ship it? Oh HELL no! This is my bed wherever I stop! LOL

KOA's and camping spots for me! :-)
    • 1855 posts
    June 18, 2012 1:18 AM PDT
    WHAT??!!! No sleeping in cornfields anymore. LOL

peace
  • June 18, 2012 1:26 AM PDT
    I specifically make room for my cot, its one of those things like American Express, "Never leave home without it!"
    • 314 posts
    June 18, 2012 2:02 AM PDT
    I never thought about cots, maybe i will be able to go some where this summer! How do you pack it?
  • June 18, 2012 2:09 AM PDT
    We use a cot that unfolds out to be rather comfy. It's a little heavy but they probably make lighter ones now. I think I saw one at Kmart in the sporting goods section.
  • June 18, 2012 2:13 AM PDT

I used to wind up all my friends years ago by just having one change of clothes, and having a tarp and a sleeping bag.....lol.....

Tarp thrown over a hedge or gate and draped over bike, sleeping bag under it in less than 2 minutes...bike turned to lean toward hedge or gate...lol...and then watching them struggle their tents up and unpack stuff to get to the rest of their kit.....lol..... 20 minutes later they were somewhere near ready to go sleep, I was all snug and comfy already,...

I had one of them Canadian Artic Survival bags...lol...FULLY Waterproof and it was big enough to strip inside it and keep clothes dry too...lol...

.....and then in the mornings...lol...I was ready to roll in less than 5 minutes.....and of course - I gave them hell for the time it was taking them to repack everything...lol...

NAAAAA!!! I Didn't Help Them!!!!!

Black, its a bit of comfort right?  Then take it and know that you have an element of comfort along the way..... 
    ( To be honest there is absolutely no way I would go do the stuff I USED to do all them years ago, Just Too Damn Old For That Sh*t Now !!! )

• June 18, 2012 2:32 AM PDT
    Jimmyacorn wrote...
    WHAT??!!! No sleeping in cornfields anymore. LOL

peace

Waking up covered in grasshoppers can be interesting I suppose!

• June 18, 2012 2:35 AM PDT
    Jetman wrote...

I used to wind up all my friends years ago by just having one change of clothes, and having a tarp and a sleeping bag.....lol.....

Tarp thrown over a hedge or gate and draped over bike, sleeping bag under it in less than 2 minutes...bike turned to lean toward hedge or gate...lol...and then watching them struggle their tents up and unpack stuff to get to the rest of their kit.....lol..... 20 minutes later they were somewhere near ready to go sleep, I was all snug and comfy already,...

I had one of them Canadian Artic Survival bags...lol...FULLY Waterproof and it was big enough to strip inside it and keep clothes dry too...lol...

.....and then in the mornings...lol...I was ready to roll in less than 5 minutes.....and of course - I gave them hell for the time it was taking them to repack everything...lol...

NAAAAA!!! I Didn't Help Them!!!!!

Black, its a bit of comfort right?  Then take it and know that you have an element of comfort along the way..... 
    ( To be honest there is absolutely no way I would go do the stuff I USED to do all them years ago, Just Too Damn Old For That Sh*t Now !!! )

Most times I try to be minimal but I think this year I wants me a cot! I'm sick of sleeping on the ground and I'm solo this year so I can aford to have the extra weight and it will keep my nice shiny new sleepin bag clean or cleanish!
  • June 18, 2012 2:55 AM PDT
    Hehehehehe, Those WERE the days mate, now I want to know there is at least somewhere during the ride I can grab a sh*t, Shave and Shower along the way!!!

I have needs of comfort nowadays.....
  • June 18, 2012 3:07 AM PDT
    KOA campgrounds baby! Nice pancake breakfast in the AM! Yeah I'm usually up before everyone and I have my shit all packed up and ready to go while guys are just getting out wonder where I got my cup of coffee! :-)
  • June 18, 2012 10:34 PM PDT
    If you take a cot with you this year and let the wife know how great it was .Plan on packing two of them next year and one of them will be the super deluxe model that weighs 20 lbs. Have a safe trip!
    • 467 posts
    June 19, 2012 1:35 PM PDT
    We used to take cots, I have found it easier nowadays to replace the cots and bags with an air matress and a couple blankets.
    • 3006 posts
    June 19, 2012 5:55 PM PDT
    Looks like a lot of superslab riding to get up there, I bet the cot will feel real nice once your settled in !
  • June 19, 2012 6:40 PM PDT
    No I'm trying to go around most of the super slabs, I'll have no choice to use a few but I will be cutting through here and there!
  • June 19, 2012 6:41 PM PDT
    And YES, the cot will be a nice rewards after such a journey!
  • June 20, 2012 8:01 AM PDT
    .....I bet your Mom would tell you to take babywipes too!!!

Heheheheheheheheee
    • 1 posts
    June 20, 2012 10:21 AM PDT
    I'm wondering how well my stuff has weathered in the 2 yrs since i seen it...air mattress and tent...bet the chair will fall apart..I think I put on some weight ...
  • June 20, 2012 11:51 AM PDT
    Jonesy1340 wrote...
    I'm wondering how well my stuff has weathered in the 2 yrs since i seen it...air mattress and tent...bet the chair will fall apart..I think I put on some weight ...

Just zip on over to the Spearfish Wally World and get a nice new chair I think they're $12.88! :-)