Did you choose the 'Biker" lifestyle-or did the lifest

• 1040 posts
    January 2, 2010 3:07 AM PST
    Am 56n years. Started riding mini bikes and dirt bikes back in the mid sixties. First bike I ever rode was a Hodaka 90 or 100cc (Can't remember the size for sure) my Uncle owned up in Northern Ca when we visited them from Mississippi back in 66 or 67. Rode that bike in the mountains and trails and man that friggin bike had some power. About a year later I bought a little Honda 175 Scrambler, then up to a Yamiiihaw 250. Joined the Marines in 72 and sorta just lost the time or whatever to ride but did buy a 73 Triumph Tiger in 76 and rode that baby while stationed in Oceanside , Ca and then for various reasons (Marriage, money , kids, whatever) got away from the riding and concentrated on what seemed to be more important things. Always wanted a Harley but never happened and finally in 2006 a friend of mine had this FXR for sale at a price I could handle so here I am today. Don't know If I'm a poser or what and don't really care what others think. I love to ride and If anyone else wants to judge me or others because they think their interpertation of the biker life isn't being lived up too then that's their problem; not mine. If your on two wheels on the road and ya want to ride with me then come along; I don't give a shit what your riding. If we don't get along it won't be because of the bike your riding, the chaps your wearing, the colors on our vest, your race or gender; it will be because you, me, or both are assholes and we probably just don't like each other. Ride safe everyone
    • 83 posts
    January 2, 2010 3:12 AM PST
    Is there seriously any other lifestyle..........

I don't hunt,fish,golf or any other sort of hobby so motorcycle's are pretty much my main thing. I also chose a life that was not ideal. It consisted of alot of drinking and other bad stuff.
    I got married, have 2 beautiful baby girls and work my ass off like everyone else. Just tryin to keep it all afloat.

Most people can't wait for their expensive vacations to far away places and I personally get most excited to take a couple of hundred mile trip on my motorcycle. I spend a majority of my time riding alone but that is how I prefer it!

I can not imagine not being able to saddle up and get out for a ride...It's is something that I enjoy and love with all my soul!

So to all you folks out there just remember what a privilage it is to be able to enjoy this fantastic kind of escape...........

Here is to a whole New Year and everyone please ride safe and be smart...........
  • January 2, 2010 3:24 AM PST
    I started riding in the sixties. I rode a chopped Honda with a tape player strapped to the air cleaner. Koss headphones jammed into my helmet. I loved riding at night with Jimi Hendrix screaming in my ears. I chose the life style for sure. It started as a fast way to get to work in Manhattan from queens. Fourteen miles could take two hours on the train and even longer in a car. I could do it in twenty minutes. My favorite thing was opening up the throttle in the midtown tunnel and hearing the roar of the pipes. Come Friday after work I'd pack up the bike and hit the road. I travel the whole east coast. I remember the manager of a motel in Virginia didn't want me staying at his place and said I could stay if I parked my bike out back. These days everybody is a biker it seems. I wonder if that would still be true if every cop from every little town they passed through pulled them over and frisked'em.
    • 190 posts
    January 2, 2010 4:45 AM PST
    Good posts here all. I remember readin once some old Chinese saying...."as the twig is bent so grows the tree".
    guess all our twigs and branches got bent pretty good as puppies,then..lol
    • 1780 posts
    January 2, 2010 9:03 AM PST
    Sing Sing....my friend you have some of the most sound and sensible advice of the lot.......has anybody ever called you "grasshopper"?

Night Dragon
    • 1509 posts
    January 2, 2010 10:22 AM PST
    PLEASE DON'T MISUNDERSTAND ME, i LOVE THE FRIENDS OLD AND NEW, I PRAY FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT KNOW GOOD, AND I TRY TO TOLERATE THOSE WHO WANT TO BE HARDER THAN THEY ARE.

SOMETHING HAS BEEN LOST IN WHAT I CALL YUPPIES, AND THEIR LARVIE. 25 MINUTES AND $25,000.00 DOESENT MAKE YOU A BIKER, OR LIVEING THE BIKER LIFESTYLE.

THIS IS GREAT AND GETTING TO KNOW BROTHERS FROM FAR AND NEAR MAKES IT GRAND.

REX HOPE TO SE YOU AT THE PA. MEET AND GREET
  • January 3, 2010 7:40 AM PST
    Don't know if I chose this lifestyle or if it chose me...In my case, not sure if it even matters because I wouldnt want it to be any different. I have only known this lifestyle from a small age, Rememeber throwing myself down in the yard in a temper tantrum when the uncles kicked the scoots and told me I couldnt go. Would run to Nanny crying and begging and low and behold, she'd raise enough hell with the boys that begrudgingly they sling my tiny ass behind them and we'd roll. (God, I miss my Nanny) Haved lived hard times and good times in this lifestyle and continue to live many more...I am as old school and old school gets...Its not about the leather on your back or how much chrome you've put on your motorcycle..its about the ride, the brothers and sisters who ARE this lifestyle and all that comes in between. RIDE HARD, LAUGH LOUD AND DON'T FORGET THE TIMES BEFORE ELECTRIC STARTERS...
    • 190 posts
    January 3, 2010 8:40 AM PST
    yeah, i miss the old kick starts.......kinda miss those black and blues on my shins too...lol...sometimes..lol
    • 513 posts
    January 3, 2010 9:11 AM PST
    My father liked bikes and planes, a plane crashed killed him when I was just four. A biker who lived across the street treated me like his own son and taught me how to ride, how to fix them and how to live right.
    I have never known any different nor would I want to. I have met some of the nicest people and some of the worst people in the bike scene, the worst one I just let go and the nice one I keep close to my heart.
    People used to ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up and I would say I want to be a biker.
    People now ask me what I want to be when I grow up and I say I want to be a biker, just cause you grow up does not mean you have to mature, big grey beard on me and I still have not matured nor would I want to! LOL!
  • January 3, 2010 9:17 AM PST
    Y'all are beautiful, reading your comments! I mean that so sincerely it nearly hurts. Being in the midst of y'all both here and in my everyday life is confirmation that I found my niche in life. Y'all helped me thru a bout of cancer 7 years ago (I just got news it's back), have helped me find strength to crawl outta a bad marriage, help me raise my boys right, support me when I'm down or afraid. I'll get another job, ride the motocross bikes with the boys til I can get my Deuce, but even while I'm just along for the ride, I've found my family, my passion and my place on this earth. Thank you all!
  • g
    January 3, 2010 9:52 AM PST
    not so gid stephanie ,hope u get the all clear ,duno what to say but all the best lass ,keep up the fight .
  • January 3, 2010 10:05 AM PST
    Life is actually very VERY good. Cheers to you all, and many more true living years of riding for us all!
    • 1780 posts
    January 3, 2010 10:41 AM PST
    Stephaniebritt you will be in my prayers tonight......stay strong

Night Dragon
    • 513 posts
    January 3, 2010 11:29 AM PST
    Hey stephaniebritt
    Nice to meet you, stay safe and stay true.
    • 1161 posts
    January 3, 2010 3:29 PM PST
    I wanted a bike since I first saw my real dads back in the late 70's. I joined the Army got injored then got out got married raised her boys. Now they are both of age (18 & 20) she wants a devorce. And kept the home i got for us, Since her credit was shot. Now im fighting the V.A. for the disabilitys I face on a daily bases. If it was not for my Mother and Step Dad, I would be on the streets. But I finally gotten my lisence to operate a motorcycle, (After all these years), so im slowly trying to get my bike I have been looking at little 250cc so I can have something to finally ride. Atleast untill my V.A. gives me my back pay so i can get an H-D Fatboy (2010) or H-D Night Train (2009). So ya i was born into it years ago got away from it and now fighting for getting back to it.
    • 1040 posts
    January 3, 2010 4:29 PM PST
    Me and the boys prayers are for ya stephaniebritt
  • January 3, 2010 4:54 PM PST
    when i was a kid my older sisters boyfriend was the vp of the local outlaws. my parents hated him but i thought he was the coolest dude. he and another guy got killed by another gang. i went off to school to study prosthetics. ounce i stated working it seemed all my younger patients were bikers that had lost a limb. i always gave them a little extra care. i got into other things like skiing but always wanted a bike. when i told other co worker about this they thought i was crazy. seeing first hand how messed you could get. than i started working for the international red cross and was living in nicaragua i got a dirt bike. it was the best way to get around. then i went to africa and got bikes there too. the last place they had me was azerbaijan and it just was not safe and could not ride. i have been back in the states for 12 years now and the first thing i did was to get a big boys bike. so to me it seems like the lifestyle has always been there hideing just waiting pounce and it sure as hell taken over my life. if i ant riding i am building. ill take my 69 hardtale kick only any day over a newer one. sure she may break down but i know every nut and bult and have the pride of knowing i built her. i think i am one of the lucky chosen ones just took some time getting here
    • 1780 posts
    January 3, 2010 11:43 PM PST
    bullmoose very cool story......and a sweet looking ride.

The Night Dragon
  • g
    January 4, 2010 1:00 AM PST
    well, here goes. some years back i came home from work to find my wife and kids gone along with half of everything. reason being she wasn't happy, that i worked too much and was always gone working on the road. didn't take long to find myself making assprints in a barstool. to the point i was headfirst in a bottle. in that period of time, i blew out my lower back and had surgery to repair the injury. bad depression set in. a good friend and riding buddy who did and still belongs to a certain 12 steppin group cared enough to help me out, he was a patch holder in a club that was centered around sobriety. i got cleaned up, sobered up, found myself on the bike everywhere with these guys till i finally put on the patch. that was the beginning of a new life for me, started seeing my kids on a regular basis after about a year, regained the time i lost and became a father/dad again. made up for my wrongs with my then ex-wife and we are still trying to be friends. but through it all, the constant was the bike. i could jump on and blast down the highway and clear my head. "me time" it is my therapy, my love, my life. this is only a chapter in the book, but it all reads about the same. and over the years, there was always a bike of some sort when i was low. just stands to reason, i am where i belong

wow ,u ive had some hard time dude ,u also have some good folks around you ,i know how things are with u ,think i was in the same boat ,chin up dude take care .
    • 1509 posts
    January 4, 2010 1:22 AM PST
    Three Reported Missing After Animal Rights Activists Take "War on Leather" to Motorcycle Gang Rally.

Pennsylvania - ~Three Reported Missing After Animal Rights Activists Take "War on Leather" to Motorcycle Gang Rally.~

Johnstown, PA: Local and state police scoured the hills outside rural Johnstown, Pennsylvania, after reports of three animal rights activists going missing after attempting to protest the wearing of leather at a large motorcycle gang rally this weekend. Two others, previously reported missing, were discovered by fast food workers "duct taped inside several fast food restaurant dumpsters," according to police officials.
    "Something just went wrong," said a still visibly shaken organizer of the protest. "Something just went horribly, horribly, wrong."
    The organizer said a group of concerned animal rights activist groups, "growing tired of throwing fake blood and shouting profanities at older women wearing leather or fur coats," decided to protest the annual motorcycle club event "in a hope to show them our outrage at their wanton use of leather in their clothing and motor bike seats." "In fact," said the organizer. "Motorcycle gangs are one of the biggest abusers of wearing leather, and we decided it was high time that we let them know that we disagree with them using it... Ergo, they should stop."
    According to witnesses, protesters arrived at the event in a vintage 1960's era Volkswagen van and began to pelt the gang members with balloons filled with red colored water, simulating blood, and shouting "you're murderers" to passers by. This, evidently, is when the brouhaha began.
    "They peed on me!!!" charged one activist. "They grabbed me, said I looked like I was French, started calling me 'La Trene', and duct taped me to a tree so they could pee on me all day!"
    "I... I was trying to show my outrage at a man with a heavy leather jacket. And, he... he didn't even care. I called him a murderer, and all he said was, 'You can't prove that.' Next thing I know is he forced me to ride on the back of his motorcycle all day, and not left me off, because his girl friend was out of town and I was almost a woman."
    Still others claimed they were forced to eat hamburgers and hot dogs under duress. Those who resisted were allegedly held down while several bikers "farted on their heads."
    Police officials declined comments on any leads or arrests due to the ongoing nature of the investigation, however, organizers for the motorcycle club rally expressed "surprise" at the allegations.
    "That's preposterous," said on high ranking member of the biker organizing committee. "We were having a party, and these people showed up and were very rude to us. They threw things at us, called us names, and tried to ruin the entire event. So, what did we do? We invited them to the party! What could be more friendly than that? You know, just because we are all members of motorcycle clubs does not mean we do not care about inclusiveness. Personally, I think it shows a lack of character for them to be saying such nasty things about us after we bent over backwards to make them feel welcome."
    When confronted with the allegations of force feeding the activists meat, using them as ad hoc latrines, leaving them incapacitated in fast food restaurant dumpsters, and 'farting on their heads,' the organizer declined to comment in detail. "That's just our secret handshake," assured the organizer.

I love this place
    • 513 posts
    January 4, 2010 1:34 AM PST
    shedsruty59 That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time.... nice one
  • g
    January 4, 2010 1:42 AM PST
    farting on their heads ,lol
  • January 4, 2010 1:46 AM PST

" Secret handshake"... nicely done
  • January 4, 2010 5:39 AM PST
    thanks nightdragon
  • January 4, 2010 6:23 AM PST
    when i first started riding, i was riding just for fun and being a rebel against my parents. then i stopped riding for a while when i went into the marine corps. a few years out of the corps and into the national guards i thought about things in life in what i wanted to do. thats when i started riding again but it was only here and there. then i went to iraq and once i got back i got on my bike and traded it in for a bigger bike and rode every day when i had the oppertunity. i started to feel free from life stress and it helped me dealing with my post tramatic stress. i rode day and night going no where but love the scenery. then when me and my ex wife started to seperate i then started to check out things like rallies and poker runs. i guess the life style has slowly grew into me and even though i been riding for a total of 4 years i dont  fully feel like a true biker and i dont think i will call myself a true biker until i get the time to at least make one major run across the u.s. and a home in a group.