Mechanical Issues

• May 31, 2012 3:20 AM PDT
    Hey guys, so i have a 2011 103 Street glide, so far i have added the Hyper Tech Pro R Charger, Vance & Hines 2 into 1 exhaust, Thundermax ECM, Scott's performance 8mm Spark plug wires & a set of Screamin Eagle spark plugs.

My issue is i feel a little bit of shaking in the rear end im not sure if its my rear breaks because when i apply the back breaks i get the feeling more, but i didnt have this issue last week before i installed the new spark plugs & wires. 

I took my bike down to the harley shop and found my bushing's in them gear shifter are going out and could be the cause of my rattle, but i dont think thats the issue or i would feel the rattle in my left foot as it sits next to the shifter. 

Has anyone else had these typs of issues is so what was the cause of it, and what oh what could be my issue. 

I have no idea i dont have any red lights on my gages showing everything is running fine, plugged into the Thundermax system on my computer to read off the other parts on the bike and they all seem to be running smooth. 

Can anyone shed some light to my issue, hoping its something simple.

(Thank God for Extended Warrantee!)
    • 5420 posts
    June 1, 2012 4:42 AM PDT
    You could have a weak plug or wire causing one cyclinder to fire less causing the extra vibration.

Be sure that you are not maybe being over critical because you just did repairs. I have done this several time where I listen closer after doing some work and probably here a small rattle that has always been there.

Not sure why the rear brake would have anything to do with engine vibration, unless you are applying the brake under power and bogging the engine.
  • June 18, 2012 5:37 AM PDT
    had a simular problem on my old Heritage.. rear end vibrations, turned into shaking... checked everything in the back and couldn't find it... turned out to be neck bearings..
  • June 18, 2012 5:59 AM PDT
    Sounds like you bought a whole bunch of new stuff to get used to... so when you say the rear is shaking... is it shaking in a dangerous fashion? Making it unroad worthy? If not, might I suggest you turn up the stereo and blast on down the road! :-)
  • June 18, 2012 6:49 AM PDT

*Get it running at around 30mph and test the front brake only slowly and firmly until its pulling you up...then resume speed and do the same with the back brake only, this will implicate or rule out the brakes.....

*Try accelerating and decellerating on a long wide curve both ways, this will rule out wheel bearings etc...

*Try sudden clutch drops on a smooth surface road to see if the drive is the affected part...

*Park with engine off, hold front brake tightly and have someone pull hard on the front end...this will either clunk or not...if it does not clunk then the headset bearings are fine...if the bike clunks then the headset bearings need checking and/or replacing, at medium speeds this can cause a back end vibration that can seem like the fault is originating at the back...

*Hold down back brake firmly and have someone force the bike backwards jerking it backwards...any clunks are either coming from the caliper or from the swing arm pivot bolts, both can seem very similar...check and correct.....

Alternatively.....Take it to an expert!!!

• June 18, 2012 7:22 AM PDT
    Didn't he say he took it in to have it looked at? I know he did say a dealership and that's not exactly an expert! LOL
    • 1855 posts
    June 18, 2012 8:30 AM PDT
    With the way tires are today you can get a bit of a shimmy/shake as they are wearing down.......cupped. As tires wear you'll also notice a change in the sound of the tires on the road as you go thru a curve.

Peace
  • June 18, 2012 10:39 PM PDT
    Sometimes when I have a phantom rattle or noise with my bike Ilet a friend ride it to see if he can figure it out. You just changed some components of your bike and you now have to get used to the new sounds that it makes. It might be nothing but two opinions are better than one sometimes.