New helmet or earplugs?

• 9 posts
    April 20, 2012 3:58 PM PDT
    Hi Everyone, I'm still on my first helmet, a full face  HJC FS-15.  I'm looking for something quiter.  Has one out there shelled out the cash for a helmet claiming to reduce noise?  Was it worth it?  I'm also considering some custom earplugs.  Anyone have a set of those?

Thanks,
    Dan.
    • 467 posts
    April 22, 2012 2:52 AM PDT
    While I like my custom earplugs that I had made at a dr's office. I LOVE my full face modular helmet. It allows me to hear my bike, but not all the wind and road noise around me. I buy new helmets every few (4-6) years as a matter of course and I always get one half and one full helmet. But I find myself using my full a lot more often. So, it really is just a matter of preference.
  • April 22, 2012 8:41 AM PDT
    being from FL I get to make all the choices, I use ear plugs not customs though but I do find they cut the noise down a great deal but I can still hear what is going on around me, however for those time that I wear my full face I usually will slip in my ipod..............have a great one! "T"
    • 5419 posts
    April 24, 2012 7:15 AM PDT
    TBird, what noise are you trying to eliminate? Is it the wind in the helmet, or the surrounding noise?

Be careful you don't go too far with the noise elimination (i.e. full face helmet and really good ear plugs), because then you won't here the sounds you NEED to like horns, emergency vehicles, a car coming up next to you, etc...

Like T said, find a good medium cutting down the noise, but hearing what's important!
    • 567 posts
    April 24, 2012 7:28 AM PDT
    I have a set of custom ear plugs that I got at a bike fest. They're pretty good for long trips .. your hearing is still working at the end of the day. But I don't wear them all that often because I found myself going faster than normal when I have them in.
    Don't like full face helmets. Just can't breathe in em when in slow city traffic or at stop lights. Too much Florida heat.
  • April 24, 2012 10:41 AM PDT
    I just bought new Bell Apocalypse helmets for my husband and me and they are great! The Apocalypse is a full face helmet but I can still hear the important noises like the bike, emergency sirens, and my husband talking to me when we're at a stop light but I don't hear wind, etc. The great part about it is they were only $120 a piece.
    • 9 posts
    April 24, 2012 1:59 PM PDT
    Thanks everyone. Just looking to take the "sting" out of the wind noise. I'm sure I've got some mild hearing loss already, and I don't want to make it any worse. I use foam ear plugs sometimes, but they tend to hurt after a while and tend to block out too much noise.
    • 22 posts
    May 30, 2019 1:51 PM PDT

Of course, earplugs will protect you from any hearing damage. A helmet won't help you to protect the unwanted noises and sound. If you use the custom motorcycle earplugs, then you can protect your hearing from wind noise while riding. You can use a helmet as well for your safety. Without a helmet, you will put into a risk, so the helmet is an essential thing as well.  I was searching on the internet to find the best custom motorcycle earplugs, at last, I found a company named big ear, they provide the quality earplugs because I watched their entire video and got a lot of knowledge regarding the hearing protection and they make all the custom earplugs. 

Please visit their website and get more information about the motorcycle hearing protection. https://www.bigearinc.com/custom-ear-plugs-for-motorcycle-riders/

I found a video as well please have a look and get more information https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAqFtwJ0vDM

This post was edited by alaxjordan at June 8, 2019 1:48 PM PDT