Broke clutch cable!

• 611 posts
    April 4, 2012 8:19 PM PDT
    Hahahahahaaa!
    Second day out of the rebuild. First day with the lady...
    Coming thru Toppenish, almost to the main drag.... broke the clutch cable.
    OHGAWDWHADDAFUK! NAH, MELLOW IS BETTER, MEBBE I CAN CHEAT IT ENUFF TO GET HOME.
    Sorry, caploc... didn't wanna retype....

Guy from Otis elevator (Bobby) stops and we fish a smaller cable thru the jacket. Then he braids a loop in the bottom and we tape it in place and he does the same for the top, I'm leaning on the clutch lever @ the tranny and he suks it up tight and tapes it off....

It worked! So then I'm shaking his hand and he sez "Oh no, I'm following you home!" WOW, how cool issat? So we make it home and he has a coupla beverages and gives my Galfriend his card and tells me "Hey, the wife and I don't have many friends here cuz we just moved. Let's get together and ride!"  Man, I'm good with that! Thanx Bobby for getting me home.

Just anudder two wheeled story that had a good ending!

EdgeWalker
    • 611 posts
    April 4, 2012 8:21 PM PDT
    Yep, I'm still grinning!
    • 658 posts
    April 4, 2012 11:13 PM PDT
    That's cool as hell. Another sample of the biker family. Glad ya made it back it the house.
    Medic
    • 19040 posts
    April 5, 2012 12:27 AM PDT
    Great you made it home. Happend to my friends 80 WG once on a Sunday morning in the middle of the Adirondaks (300 miles from home). BUT---he carried a spare. Thirty minutes later we were back enjoying the ride. But ya can't do that on the newer bikes. I would have to remove the pipes just to get to the clutch lever.
  • April 5, 2012 1:24 AM PDT
    That's what it's all about!
  • April 5, 2012 2:09 AM PDT
    good story !
  • April 5, 2012 2:59 AM PDT
    Works every time as far as I am concerned...ALWAYS check to see if the guy at the side of the road is having a smoke break or fixing something...ALWAYS stop, just in case all he actually needs is a chat and a use of the fone...I ALWAYS stay and wait until whoever they are waiting for shows up... I carry tools, not a lot, but enough to do simple crap...I have cellfones...and hell, I sure have enough to chat about...lol...
    • 16831 posts
    April 5, 2012 4:06 AM PDT
    It's great when something bad turns into something good. :-)
    • 5420 posts
    April 5, 2012 3:05 PM PDT
    Very cool,bike fixed and a new friend!!! So you gonna keep that custom clutch cable on there?
    • 844 posts
    April 5, 2012 5:34 PM PDT
    Well sorry to hear about the initial bad luck, but glad it all worked out and turned into something good and glad you shared it with us.

Seems like lately here everyone just sharing stories to see who had the worst time on their last outing and never about the good times we have on the road.
    • 611 posts
    April 5, 2012 6:01 PM PDT
    Hey thanx for all the replies!
    @GoFur, aw hell, it was a great ride. We went thru several rural 2-lanes along and between rows and rows of aplle orchards. Not even really budding out yet. That's gonna smell damn good this Spring! Glad that suker didn't pop loose out there. Ida been fuct fer sheer... Ordered one today, $38... not bad and I shoulda left it hooked up... it was workin!
    • 1 posts
    April 5, 2012 7:32 PM PDT
    depends on ones point of view i expect, go fur...I never shared any stories from my past before. I just kept em too myself cause i thought no one would be interested. But seems i may have been wrong. My coming off in Perham Mn had a great ending.