plastic gear cogs

• 1 posts
    March 30, 2012 12:59 PM PDT
    I have been informed that certain 1500 models of the vulcan's came out with plastic oil cog..in the pump..the bike I'm buying is in that year range. i wonder if it wasn';t changed over to a metal cog..by the dealer..would the cog let go after 11 years...i know the original owner used to trailer it long distances, then ride. So now I'm wondering if he didn't have this fault rectified, would there be a chance of the cog shattering and causeing untold $'s worth of damage. As I'm planning  long hauls, when i pick it up....any thoughts? 
    • 19049 posts
    March 30, 2012 2:11 PM PDT
    Never heard of that but surely sounds like something I would fix before riding. Good Luck Mate.
  • March 30, 2012 2:16 PM PDT
    i would check to see if there was a recall on it and if there is have it brought in and replaced
    • 0 posts
    March 30, 2012 2:19 PM PDT
    If it was mine, and I didn't have to split the case to do it, I would just replace it. If it is a major pain to do, don't run a real heavy oil until it gets done.
  • March 30, 2012 3:09 PM PDT
    Kawasaki is known for extra stout and bullet proof motors, on their sport bikes anyway. I can't imagine them using a plastic cog. I would check into it. However, I've never heard of Kaw motors giving trouble.
    • 834 posts
    March 30, 2012 7:10 PM PDT
    How many miles are on it Jonesy?
    • 1 posts
    March 30, 2012 7:14 PM PDT
    dunno really, I figure it would have been changed..but ya never know...never thought about mileage..the price got me...under3K...
    • 834 posts
    March 30, 2012 7:17 PM PDT
    I would worry more if the plastic gear had lots of miles on it, and no so much about the age.
    • 1 posts
    March 30, 2012 9:05 PM PDT
    well Az, the guy who has it is checking into it for me...so i spose I'll know more when he does. Apparently it is no longer a warranty job..as defind by kawasaki.
    • 1855 posts
    March 31, 2012 1:27 AM PDT

I typed in Kawasaki Plastic Oil Gear in the yahoo search engine and didn't come up with anything positive I'm afraid.  It never was a recall item and it seems to have been a real problem with the potential to mess up everything.  I don't about Kaw motors but I wouldn't think you'd have to split cases to replace the oil pump gear.  Personally I'd replace it.  Either that or don't go through with the deal.
    From another source I found this:

From 1987 through 1999, all Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 models, except the Drifter, were built with a plastic oil pump gear. IT FAILS FREQUENTLY!

Go to Kawasaki.com and register your bike's VIN via the process there, and then look for any service recalls.

While there, take a look at the parts diagrams for your bike. The gear is listed in the section on the Oil Pump. The part has been superseded at least three times, so when you get a replacement, do not get any new old stock part or you will be back where you are when it fails.

It is not a tough fix, but you will want a service/repair manual, then review the process to see if it is something you wish to tackle.

Peace
  • March 31, 2012 11:35 AM PDT
    Ahhhh the POG....

Simple fix if you have common sense and hand tools. get a judges steel gear and follow the steps. do a search for pog or plastic oil gear replacement on the google site and you will find all the info you'll need to do the fix. judges gear allows you to just remove the clutch basket assembly and replace the gear WITHOUT splitting the case. do yourself a favour and replace the clutch spring, spring holder and retainer washers since you'll have it all apart anyway.....

Hope this helps.....