rider comfort

• 1 posts
    March 27, 2012 2:46 PM PDT
    Okay so i have bought a kawasaki vulcan 1500 cc cruiser for this years trek around the USA. I know absolutely nothing about them. So does anybody here. any one knows someone that owns a Vulcan..and can advise me on how comfortable to ride they are, things to watch out for with them...like to they dive under brakes, ground clearance in corners, problems with over heating maybe......I ride a HD springer here at home..but hey why not save some holiday money and buy a cheapy..rather than waste money on hiring something i already have.. 

So far i  have been lucky I 've spent under $300 so far getting it roadworthy to tour..
  • March 27, 2012 3:51 PM PDT
    A friend of mine had a Vulcan and his only complaint was a sore rear end after lengthy time in the saddle. I think it was the seating and leg position. I ride with a guy now who owns a Vulcan and haven't heard any complaints.
  • March 27, 2012 8:44 PM PDT

I had one in States for a month, a rental, You have to make it fit you if you intend to do miles...I did just over 3000 on that trip in just over a month...lol...first thing I did after riding away from the rental company was take it to a workshop and click the rear shocks up harder and a better pull back on the bars so it was like sitting in an armchair...then as I was riding it was not difficult to shift my own personal riding angle from a slouch to a stiff back and everything in between, was not a bad ride, and even with my duffed up leg it was still comfortable enough, a heavy bike for what it is though - by that I mean it LOOKS a lot lighter than it actually is...lol...

I enjoyed it... Must admit though, every rental since has been a wide glide as I prefer the size and weight and riding angle better...and of course I adjusted it to suit my own sitting angle as soon as I took it out...lol... Every bike I ride over there must have full forwards because of my stiff leg...

• 1 posts
    March 28, 2012 9:04 AM PDT
    Thanks Jet...you too LC, I bought this thing cheap..so i can't complain..buying so far has been cheaper than hiring..seems sore ass is the universal complaint...lucky I have a tour bag I lean back on..and this thing has some mighty fine looking hiway pegs to compensate for my shot knees..straight leg policy..
  • March 28, 2012 9:10 AM PDT
    I hear you on that one bro...go take a look at the pics I added in a message thread I started some short while back...lol...you can see why I walk with a straight leg then...lol...
  • March 28, 2012 12:49 PM PDT
    I am in agreement about the seating. My Dad purchased a Vulcan from a coworker of mine and I delivered the bike for him and it was very hard to make the 40 mile trip non-stop.
    • 1 posts
    March 28, 2012 7:57 PM PDT
    bubba that wasn't what i really wanted to hear bro...I'm riding from Pa to Fl...then over to Miss..then up the guts to Sturgis..then maybe over to La...Iron butt...something i don't have...or maybe I'll have one by the time i get there.
  • March 29, 2012 1:25 AM PDT
    I own a vulcan 800, I am 5"8" 185lbs. I have adjusted the rear shock to fit my weight. Mine has floor boards so if you go super tight in the curves it let's you know, just spark on! I find myself shifting my legs from the front pegs to the floor boards on longer trips. Never overheated even in three day run of 100F temps two years ago. And that was driving in stop and go traffic. Can't beat the price for a "V" Twin, and easy to service! I'm happy!
  • March 29, 2012 1:45 AM PDT
    • 1 posts
    March 29, 2012 3:00 AM PDT
    thanks Nem..and also EJ for that link.
  • March 29, 2012 3:08 AM PDT
    seat on them things suck.................worse than HD seats
    • 1 posts
    March 29, 2012 3:34 PM PDT
    well thats just Great T....you could have said earlier lol....
  • March 29, 2012 3:43 PM PDT
    My father had an 05 Vulcan 1500 that he bought new, Just sold it last year. He never had a problem with anything ( Except for the time two deer ran out in front of him ) and he could out ride me any day.
    • 1 posts
    March 29, 2012 9:23 PM PDT
    checked out a pic of the seat..and it looks fine, can't wait to do a 4 hour ass test though lol...
  • March 29, 2012 11:43 PM PDT
    Hi Jonesy. I had a Vulcan 900 and my Hubby had a 1500. Both ran like watches, but did have hard seats. Hubby went with a Mustang seat. Me being the cheap one in the family, opted to try out "beads" 1st. ($50 compared to $250) I know they don't sound comfortable, but I loved them, especially in the hot weather. I have very little meat on my bum, and thought they would be uncomfortable after some miles, but I never got "saddle" sore, and never rode without them until cold weather. I liked them so much, I use them on the bike I have now, (even though the seat is very comfy) for the warm weather. Keeps me cooler, and no sweaty bum!
  • March 30, 2012 9:36 AM PDT

Hahahahahahahaha @ Sweaty Bum...lol... I reckon you should change your name here to "SweatyBumSally" now instead of MustangSally.....

.....And get this...from now on all I am going to be thinking when I see you post messages is the fact you no longer get a sweaty bum.....lol.....

.....And y'know whats even worse...I have even instilled this vision and name into everyone who has read this post now...lol...

My Bad???

• 1 posts
    March 30, 2012 12:54 PM PDT
    thanks for that Sal...or should that be SBS....lots of options now.
  • March 30, 2012 1:11 PM PDT
    I have an '09 Vulcan 900 custom, stock set was fine for me but the wife had a problem riding 40 + miles so replaced it with a Mustang touring seat now I  cant get her off of it. Also when I went to change out the pipes I was looking at the cobra Speedster Swept but installition requires that the right passenger foot peg be moved up, the pipes come with a bracket for the right side but not the left my concern was for my passengers confort, So after looking I found that the Vance and Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 had the look I was looking for

• 1 posts
    March 30, 2012 7:16 PM PDT
    yeah there are v & h already on it...its as loud as buggery...
  • March 31, 2012 2:30 AM PDT
    Thank-You Jetman! You’re such a sweaty guy for saying that! Now I’ll always think fondly of you as Sweaty Jetty! I’m awed at the power you have to instill that vision and name, but think I had already done that with the original post, as apparent by your response LOL!

Anyway, we all really needed a new vision around here. I think it beats the vision we all have of you being lead around by the “short hairs” every time you post. It was getting kind of old, plus there is no escaping it, that vision is in every forum.

I won’t be changing the name though, as I said, it no longer applies, LOL!
    Have a G’day mate!...
  • March 31, 2012 3:18 AM PDT
    A few tips from from a 900.
    Mustang seat is a must. Ground clearance is smaller than HD. I bought my second hand to learn how to ride. The only issue I had was loosing a bolt on on my foot steps in front of the bay bay bridge in San Fran. From the Vulcan forum are advising to check your bolts on the bike once a year. No problem with overheating. The Arizona ride was without issues. For the long rides bring with you 10 and 14 mm wrenches and metric allen wrenches. Pretty much covers 90% of the bike bolts Happy riding
    • 1 posts
    March 31, 2012 11:24 AM PDT
    thanks PG...
  • March 31, 2012 11:26 AM PDT
    Hehehehehehe, good comeback.....
    • 834 posts
    April 4, 2012 5:46 AM PDT
    I had a 900 Vulcan and the seat was "okay", the biggest thing was the handle bars were a reach for me. I am about 5'8" and I felt like I was stretching for the bars
    • 1 posts
    April 4, 2012 11:50 AM PDT
    well AZ I'm 6'3"..so reach isn't a problem...